Interesting Info: Part XIX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Something just seems very.... off about Dubi. He sounds defeated and mentally exhausted. Never have saw Dubi like this. Maybe I’m looking too much into his vibes.. but he just seems extremely drained.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Something just seems very.... off about Dubi. He sounds defeated and mentally exhausted. Never have saw Dubi like this. Maybe I’m looking too much into his vibes.. but he just seems extremely drained.

He's had a tough year. I wonder if Tortorella's comment about some waiting for the season to be over was about Dubinsky. It seems like he has more going on than meets the eye

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Another time for over analysis. Looks like he just got done with a hard practice. Said all the right things. Not about him or his points before. Have to play better individually. It's about helping the team win games. Asked if he wants to be part of the group. Emphatically say "Of course". Was here for the rough times, wants to be here for the good times. But somehow he's checked out and wants the season over.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Another time for over analysis. Looks like he just got done with a hard practice. Said all the right things. Not about him or his points before. Have to play better individually. It's about helping the team win games. Asked if he wants to be part of the group. Emphatically say "Of course". Was here for the rough times, wants to be here for the good times. But somehow he's checked out and wants the season over.

Would you honestly expect him to tell the media he really doesn't want to play and wishes the season was over...?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Flip the pancake over. What did he say that makes you think he's checked out?

Body language. As mentioned above, instead of looking like a player that is fighting to get back in, he sounds defeated.

Always been a fan of Dubinsky. I watched him grow up in the Western Hockey League, have followed his entire career well before he came to Columbus. He is at his best when he's right on the edge, competing and playing in the tough areas.

When is the last time we saw that player?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Body language. As mentioned above, instead of looking like a player that is fighting to get back in, he sounds defeated.

Always been a fan of Dubinsky. I watched him grow up in the Western Hockey League, have followed his entire career well before he came to Columbus. He is at his best when he's right on the edge, competing and playing in the tough areas.

When is the last time we saw that player?

Not trying to defend Dubinsky or any player for that matter. This also isn't countering your thoughts alone, you just chose to respond to my post.

My point is nobody knows what's going on behind the scenes. Nobody knows what personal struggles he is going though. Nobody knows what he is thinking. Nobody knows how his teammates feel. Nobody knows what he and Torts have talked about. Nobody knows whats going on in the locker room.

Yet some can judge everything above by a 2 minute video in which he said none of the above. This is an example of an internet board where someone makes judgement with no knowledge of the situation but want to portray it as fact because of body language? or how they think a persons facial expression look? I don't see how anything in that video portrays a level of defeat. If anything he says that he wants to get back in there, increase his level of play, help the team win games and work for the guys in the locker room. But somehow his facial expression or body language (to some) are stronger than the words coming out of his mouth.

His play speaks for itself but keep it at that. Nothing in that video shows anything of the sort.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Not trying to defend Dubinsky or any player for that matter. This also isn't countering your thoughts alone, you just chose to respond to my post.

My point is nobody knows what's going on behind the scenes. Nobody knows what personal struggles he is going though. Nobody knows what he is thinking. Nobody knows how his teammates feel. Nobody knows what he and Torts have talked about. Nobody knows whats going on in the locker room.

Yet some can judge everything above by a 2 minute video in which he said none of the above. This is an example of an internet board where someone makes judgement with no knowledge of the situation but want to portray it as fact because of body language? or how they think a persons facial expression look? I don't see how anything in that video portrays a level of defeat. If anything he says that he wants to get back in there, increase his level of play, help the team win games and work for the guys in the locker room. But somehow his facial expression or body language (to some) are stronger than the words coming out of his mouth.

His play speaks for itself but keep it at that. Nothing in that video shows anything of the sort.

You aren't wrong, and I'm definitely not claiming to be right. Let's see how he plays with his fresh start.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
MODS: I am not sure if this should go here or the Columbus thread. Please move if this is in the wrong place.

Opening Day of baseball on Thursday means we are now looking at the possibility of three-way conflicts (Jackets/Cavs/Reds) on TV for the remainder of the season. Here's how things look for the remaining regular season games:

Thursday - five hours between first pitch of Reds game and Jackets faceoff. No Cavs game on Thursday.
BOTTOM LINE: No conflict unless Reds rain delayed or play a long game.

Saturday - no Cavs game but only two hours between Reds first pitch and Jackets faceoff
BOTTOM LINE: Jackets on Cleveland feed, Reds on Cincinnati feed, Jackets on alt feed on cable in Southern Ohio and main feed in Northern Ohio, not sure who gets the main feed (Jackets or Reds) in Central Ohio.

April 3 - all three teams starting within 20 minutes of each other
BOTTOM LINE: Chaos. My best guess:
SATELLITE
Cleveland feed - Cavs
Cincinnati feed - Reds
Jackets likely on an RSN alt chanel
CABLE
Cleveland - Cavs main feed, Jackets alt feed
Columbus - Jackets and Reds, not sure who will be on which feed, no idea re: Cavs game (FS GO only?)
Cincinnati - See Columbus, but with Reds guaranteed main feed

April 5 and 7 - Reds/Jackets conflict, so same as Saturday

If you're wondering why the April 5 Cavalier game is not noted, it is exclusively on TNT, so there is no effect on FSO.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Ok Columbus, I’m out w a bunch of my buddies who all play fortnite or however u spell it. I was wondering if anyone has the video where Dubois does a fortnite action during warmup? I can’t seem to find it and I wanted to show my boys. Thanks in advanced

Thepoint

Mar 29, 2018

Blog post from Jouni Nieminen, Edmonton-based ice hockey journalist. Written after Columbus – Edmonton game, thought you might find it interesting. Translated and posted here with permission from the author. Opinions are the author’s, quotes from respective individuals. I’ll take full responsibility if something was lost in translation, especially for the quotes translated back and forth. Please overlook minor mistakes in writing as I’m not native nor even fluent English speaker, but please do correct major faults and factual incorrects.

Original text: https://www.nordicbet.com/fi/blogi/jaakiekko/nhl/onside-with-jouni-nieminen-columbuksen-vuosi/

Twitter account (partly English): Onside with Jouni Nieminen, Jouni Nieminen (@OnsideWithJouni) | Twitter

Thursday, 29.03.2018
Onside with Jouni Nieminen: Could this be the year of Columbus?

The favorites of soon starting Stanley Cup playoffs are known to everyone. Nashville, Tampa, Pittsburgh. Boston, maybe. But has it occurred to anyone that this just might be the year of Columbus Blue Jackets? The expectations are considerably higher in Ohio, and not only because of John Tortorella.

The different kind of Jackets

Atmosphere around Columbus Blue Jackets is somehow different than a year ago. Last season Columbus had a 16 game win streak around New Year, reaching for all-time records (1992-93 Pittsburgh Penguins won 17). Jackets had another one, 10-game win streak earlier in March.

Buckeye team has the ability to win consecutive games, but even so, this year’s streak and play seems different.

Last year, the Blue Jackets’ win streak was said to have had flowed from some kind of inferiority complex. The team had performed way under its’ potential the previous season. Coaching his first full season behind the bench, coach John Tortorella emphasized to his team that no-one believed in them, nobody took Columbus Blue Jackets seriously. They were the laughingstock of the NHL.

Tortorella wanted to see what his team does to show the world that it has thought wrong. And the team answered the call.

Columbus was big and heavy team, players difficult to overcome in puck battles. It had outstanding power play.

This season the Blue Jackets looks different. It’s more skilled in offense, led by Artemi Panarin. Players such as established roster players like Oliver Björkstrand and Sonny Milano bring skill to offense. However, power play is nowhere near the efficiency of last season’s first half.

More than one player has actually taken a step back. Alexander Wennberg, John Anderson, Boone Jenner and Brandon Dubinsky have only started to play recently, after being half asleep the beginning of the season. Lowest points of the season was 7-2 home loss to Edmonton Oilers at the beginning of December. Tortorella sent Foligno and Dubinsky to start fights. Zack Kassian inflicted orbital fracture under Dubinsky’s eye sideline with two minutes remaining. Recovery time was long and even after return to action Dubinsky seems to have lost his mojo.

Trade deadline was also important in terms of changing course. To his credit, GM Jarmo Kekäläinen didn’t give any players from steady lineup, but managed to haul three players who help the team each in their own way. Ian Cole brings experience to defense and is a good pair to David Savard. Thomas Vanek enabled another goal-scoring line, when he was put into the same line with Wennberg and Jenner. Mark Letestu is a reliable fourth line player, who wins draws and plays special teams.

Additions like these enhance whole team’s confidence.

That confidence was apparent on Tuesday in Edmonton, when Columbus overcame 3-0 deficit in first period to win 7-3.

“We have a good thing going, successes from all fronts”, said defenseman Markus Nutivaara to NHL-blog after the game. “Good team spirit at the moment, everyone is on a roll. We’re confident to go on, in case we’re going to playoffs. We’re off to a good start.”

Now 23 years old Finnish defender with a sense of humor is a popular player in Blue Jackets’ dressing room. Always positive. Known for daring, fearless first passes, Nutivaara plays the game with casual effort and confidence. Hockey sense, good movement and really good opening passes. Zach Werenski described the Finn with the word ‘Beauty’. Great compliment in Western Canada and apparently in Detroit also to any hockey player.

“Last season the win streak was in the middle of the season, now it happened in the end of it”, said Nutivaara. “Time will tell how it carries on as playoffs begin”.

Nutivaara’s second season in the NHL has continued where the previous, successful, season ended. He has played approximately 16:05 minutes per game (last season 13:13). Six goals and 22 points in 59 games (last season two goals and seven points).

“Steadily improving. Need to improve all the time and it’s always been in the back of the head to be a bit better every day. I’ve been content. Just taking it day by day. Naturally there’s a lot of things I need to do better, always is. But I do enjoy playing here.”

A random visitor leaves Columbus dressing room with a feeling that this team has unbreakable fellowship.

“We have a whole lot of good guys here. For us, the team spirit is really important. Everyone thrives and gets on well. Comfortable to go to rink. Enjoying playing and success together.”

Enjoy, as in coach’s mindset of enjoying.

“Yes, at times you do hear about it if you’re a bit too laid-back in the practice”, Nutivaara says, smiling. “It’s good not to feel too good about ourselves”.

Luc

No-one is asking anymore, why Columbus Blue Jackets used their third pick in 2016 NHL Draft to select center Pierre-Luc Dubois. He started the season as third line winger, because at the start of the season there was no way of knowing if he could play center as a 19 years old in his first season in the NHL.

Having played only six games before this season, Sonny Milano has gotten to play a lot in top-6. Milano took his place in the team with good training camp. He scored a goal right away in the first game of the season and five in the first three. Then only one in the next 25 games. Offensively skilled Milano was finally sent to farm team. When he was called back up, the place and chemistry was found in the same line with Oliver Björkstrand. The couple already knew each other from AHL’s Cleveland.

In a team coached by John Tortorella, one has to take care of one’s own game without puck. Sonny Milano gets to play a lot now, because he has improved his game a lot in that regard. “Sonny still has to learn to respect the NHL and not to try so much”, said John Tortorella about Milano in Edmonton.

The biggest weakness of Dubois is his skating speed. Tortorella finally placed him as center to get him to move his legs better. Demand to the supply was available because of Wennberg’s and Dubinsky’s injuries. Dubois played between Milano and Björkstrand at first. At the position of center between first liners Cam Atkinson and Artemi Panarin a couple or more nominees were tried, but no harmonia was found.

Then, as the Jackets were facing Sabres in Buffalo, it was Dubois’ turn to try. Interestingly, he said to have played with a couple of Russian winger in minors and mentioned to have been able to use the experience to play beside Panarin.

Really good chemistry was found between French-speaking big Canadian and small-framed Russian. Atkinson and Panarin both shoot from right, both prefer to shoot from the ‘wrong’ side, especially so in power play. Dubois’ mission objective is to play hard and keep the puck alive in the offensive zone.

Dubois has played stronger and more physically as the season has progressed. He’s big and strong, able to cover the puck with his body. The NHL is not the same in regard of tackles and aggressive forechecking as before, but in some games Dubois has managed to get under the opponent’s skin. In Anaheim, the Ducks chased him at the closing minutes of the game having had enough of the rough edge of the youngster.

Excellent rookie season from Pierre-Luc Dubois. Buffalo crowd murmured audibly in June 2016 when the Jackets announced his name third in NHL Draft. Finnish media surrounded GM Jarmo Kekäläinen later, asking indirectly why the choice wasn’t the countryman.

No one is asking anymore.

Torts

The experts lambasted acquiring coach John Tortorella behind the bench of the Jackets in Fall 2015, when the team had started the season with seven losses, steered by Todd Richards. Unsuccessful season with Vancouver Canucks was weighing heavily. Everyone remembers the small wrestle at Calgary Flames dressing room door and other stuff. But Columbus’ president John Davidson and GM Jarmo Kekäläinen saw past the players complaining about the coach. Not everyone thought that kind of way.

Last season Tortorella won Jack Adams Award as the coach of the year, second time in his career. In his acceptance speech he said modestly the award belonged to the whole team. Blue Jackets won 50 games and gathered 108 points in tough Metropolitan division.

John Tortorella is a demanding coach. One should not interprete his style wrong. He’s a good coach. Sometimes these kind of coaches’ ‘best before’ date comes sooner rather than later. I don’t know if he got one year extension (after this one, that is) last summer because of that. Tortorella has passionate attitude in hockey. He demands and puts each his player accountable to their actions, but at the same time creates winning culture by setting the bar and daily standards high and holding to those.

Fiery, small NHL coach’s Italian blood still boils occasionally. Sometimes he ends his after game presses short. Sometimes he leaves without answering a single question. Earlier in the season he shouted from bench to Alexander Ovechkin, which is not considered as a good manner in NHL (Ken Hitchcock perpetrates to this too often. Also gets what he asks for, of course).

Tortorella apologized afterwards.

They say that in sports the true nature of combatants is revealed when losing. Not when winning.

Earlier in the season when the Blue Jackets’ course was seemingly going to wrong direction, when the team was starting to lose games, John Tortorella was not the one who was getting upset. As an experienced coach, he didn’t overreact nor began to rage. He knows where goes the line of going too personal and self-destructive barking. He even might have been more quiet than usually. He didn’t show signs of content, of course, and occasionally gave experienced players healthy scratch popcorn time to give them reason to ponder.

John Tortorella is not afraid to rock the boat. He criticizes his own players publicly if he sees it fit. He kicks their ass if he sees it necessary. Colorful style is obviously not to everyone’s liking. Great deal of fans like it, some don’t. The players might be angry at him at times, and sometimes really grateful. And everything in-between. Modern NHL youngsters may not have ever been in contact with this kind of old-school style.

Tortorella wants to create winning culture, in which no thing is covered up. At the least he’s honest, even though the intensity from which the honesty arises is sometimes wild. But he cares about his players. He doesn’t care about coach records nor anything like that. The team is everything, players and the family they constitute. Torts’ family argues, but always is the one, whole family.

On Tuesday he talked with the press over eight minutes. The author has a record of the press that lasted 16 seconds in Edmonton during his Rangers tenure.

“I think we played well, we had a great start. We had no panic in the bench”, he said about the first ten minutes, during which Oilers scored three goals. “I can’t get angry for team that plays well even though we were behind”.

Some were publicly doubtful how Tortorella would get along with Thomas Vanek. The coach praised the veteran with a hat trick in his own way. Before the game, he had gone and said before the whole team that today Vanek has promised to shoot the puck. Right away in the first power play Vanek send a long, unsuccessful pass towards Seth Jones, even though he could have scored from his position.

Tortorella was furious behind the bench, but said nothing.

“Thomas shot the puck”, the coach said after the game. “Hopefully he understands that when he shoots, he scores. In stead of all the passing”.

“He’s a veteran and I do not mean to stand in his way, but he has to shoot the puck. Hopefully scoring a few goals makes him think. I believe other players can learn from him, the coaches can learn from him. He’s been in this league long time and I want to let him play. I want him to play more selfishly. He can do the change in his game himself”.

John Tortorella had gotten good advice about Vanek from his friend who coached the player before him. “He said that Thomas is one of the best players in offense from blueline forth. But you also have to live with the mistakes he makes going backwards”.

“I think Dubois played one of his best games I’ve seen him play”, said Tortorella about Pierre-Luc Dubois. “He played on a different level today. He’s so strong with puck. He didn’t score all the goals, but when I look at the young center who played against McDavid today, he made a really good impression”.

Tortorella said Dubois had gotten a somewhat different mission objective against Connor McDavid.

“Luc’s future… his potential knows no bounds”.

The whole team plays for Bob

Last year’s Vezina trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky plays an excellent season once again. 10 wins from the last dozen starts. Counting from the beginning of the season, Bob’s name is found within the first five of NHL goalie stats in wins, save percentage and shutouts. The team’s unquestionable MVP from when he came to Ohio in trade that gathered small to none attention at the time and began playing as a starter. Two-time Vezina trophy winne, whose NHL career save percentage is 92 %. Whatever the Jackets’ situation, whatever the lineup, Bobrovsky’s the one this team counts on.

The rest of the team plays for Bob. In Edmonton Columbus had just gained the lead, when Connor McDavid had a breakaway. Bob made the save.

Columbus Blue Jackets goes just as far as Sergei Bobrovsky is able to carry them. Bobrovsky startd the season in Vezina form, then dropped the level with the rest of the team for some time, but is again in Vezina level. Jackets is not actually a dynamic offensive force that scores a lot of goals (even though it scored over 4 per during the ten game win streak). Columbus often wins games with one goal when Bob seals the door.

Pekka Rinne may be in his own category in Vezina speculation this season, but Bobrovsky’s name has to be found in top three. First season as a starter playing Andrei Vasilevskiy is the final name in top-3.

Sergei Bobrovsky’s skills are known throughout the NHL, but we’re getting to the point in the season in which he has to play at his best and find his top game. Bob’s weakness is that he hasn’t been good goaltender in playoffs. His save percentage in playoffs is 87.7 %. It’s actually not fair to say it, but in Bob’s case the regular season holds no meaning anymore. Great, but can he play at the same level in playoffs?

That’s the most important question, which will be asked during the next weeks when Columbus Blue Jackets play. Can Bobrovsky find his game in playoffs?

Efficient defense

Columbus defenders have already scored 47 goals this season. Seth Jones has scored 15, Zach Werenski 14, Markus Nutivaara 6. Well moving and efficient defense has been one of the best assets in the Blue Jackets’ season. Not everything looked as good only 3 to 4 months ago.

Jones and Werenski have been paired the whole season. The couple echoes of Blackhawks’ glory days’ pair Duncan Keith – Brent Seabrook. There’s always something happening when these two are on ice. They take boldly part in offense and read each other’s minds very well. Werenski has played the whole season more or less injured, but is still efficient. Jones has so-called ‘heavy shot’ and he can run the power play.

Werenski plays his part as some kind of fourth forward, against which defending is hard. Really rare to see a couple like this in a same team. Ryan Johansen fills important role in Nashville, but acquiring Jones has been successful trade also. As a matter of fact, Seth Jones has more goals and points this season than first line center Johansen. Not a bad trade for either side.

Ian Cole brought his plain style of play and two Stanley Cup rings to Columbus in trade deadline day. He knows and does his role perfectly and as mentioned, enabled strong second pair of defense with David Savard. Savard could play in first pair in a lot of NHL teams in my opinion.

Ryan Murray plays really well, one of the next summer’s RFA’s.

The Jackets’ defense is so strong that veteran Jack Johnson has sat and followed a few games in sidelines lately.

Deep offense

The Jackets lost its’ captain Nick Foligno for 2 to 4 weeks to lower body injury during game against St. Louis. He was injured even longer times earlier during the season, but the team found the way to win in his absence. Losing Foligno will hurt, but the Jackets can achieve it’s mission objectives without it’s captain.

As said, Pierre-Luc Dubois can fill the first line center requirements as needed and as a matter of fact has already played most of the season as such.

The part of the cunning old fox is played by Thomas Vanek, acquired from Vancouver in trade deadline. At first four games without points, but then 12 points in nine games and a fine hat trick in a really important game in Edmonton. It takes some time for even a veteran to fit in a team and new linemates. Vanek plays really well with Boone Jenner and Alexander Wennberg. Jenner goes straight into crease and benefits massively particularly because of these two linemates.

Wennberg and Vanek really seem to be ‘pass first’ kind of players.

One good reason for acquiring Thomas Vanek was to bring veteran presence aboard. Jackets has been one f the youngest if not the youngest team in the NHL. Vanek is 34 years old veteran who has suited for over a thousand NHL games, including the playoffs. Vanek has played everywhere in the NHL. His presence will calm the team down in tough spots. An important player in the room and on the ice.

Columbus Blue Jackets made two more successful additions in trade deadline, acquiring Mark Letestu as the fourth line center and Ian Cole as second pair defender. Letestu wins a lot of draws and plays smart. Versatile player, who can play all special teams both ways and be efficient in both fourth line or first line. In Edmonton, the shooter spot in power play is still called ‘Letestu spot’.

Popular player in Columbus even earlier, returning home. An important man in defensive zone draws. Mark Letestu does not flash in speed, but he’s a skilled professional. A coach always know what he brings to table.

Artemi Panarin might be the best player ever to wear Blue Jackets jersey. Unbelievably big heart and fighting spirit combined with world class skill in relatively small framed package. The Jackets needed a player who can create offense from scratch and score goals, especially for overthrowing Pittsburgh. Panarin wins puck battles continously against much bigger opponents.

The example he creates carries the team a whole lot further than the points he scores. We hear echoes from Chicago that Panarin didn’t do much in playoffs. One reason for Columbus’ lack of success in the big dance has been absence of true star, a player that takes the team to be carried. Brandon Dubinsky may have been a team leader in mental aspects, but might not have been good enough as a player.

At his best, Artemi Panarin can be the guy. He didn’t get to show enough of his ability in the playoffs as a Blackhawk.

Panarin is the player, who wants the puck, when the game’s about winning or team is trailing. Top skilled player, from whom it’s nigh impossible get the puck away in tough spots.

Suburban guy

Markus Hännikäinen is one of those players, who need to fight for ice time and roster spot every night. It’s easy to cheer for players like him. And he sees the big picture, the team, which fights the same way to be part of the big dance.

“We’ve won a lot of games in our division , but so has everyone else”, said suburban Helsinki native to NHL-blog.

“It’s surely gonna be tight all the way to the end. But we’ll play as we have played lately. I believe that it looks good, considering the playoffs. We’ve found our game. Of course there’s always room for improvement, but at the moment we’re playing some good hockey.”

Hännikäinen is not happy with his season. In his third season he’s nevertheless played more in the NHL than in farm. Edmonton match was the 30th game for him this season in the NHL.

”I’ve only played so much. Lots of games I’ve sat in the press box. Naturally I’m not satisfied with ice time I’ve gotten and that I haven’t deserved more. But whenever there’s been a chance, I’ve given my all. Won’t be falling short because of that”.

“In this team my mission is clear, to play in fourth line. The coach wants hard forecheck and that thing happen in offensive zone. He wants to create pressure there, which gives time to top lines. I think that’s our primary role”.

Hännikäinen sees stability as the team strength.

“Our greatest strength is maybe that we can play well each night. We’ve found stability in our games. In the beginning our performance varied more, lately we’ve been able to play steadily well. Several lines can score goals.”

Columbus coach holds the bar high.

“The coach is very demanding. On the other hand, if the team wants to win, you have to demand.”

“Five games, not much left now. Week and a half. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. One game at a time. After that, it’s a whole new thing”.

On fire at the right time

Blue Jackets’ game has been rolling, even been on fire, just at the right time. It has won eleven of the last 12 games, beginning from fourth of March road victory against San Jose. The only loss was against St. Louis Blues at home last Saturday, after ten game win streak. The Jackets had the chance to win that, too. Winning during the final fourth of the season is a great thing.

Wins at this time of the year didn’t raise Columbus over it’s worst opponents n standings, but nevertheless it gave the team the keys to control their own destiny from now on. Before the win streak, the Blue Jackets’ place was alternating between second wild card and being eliminated from playoffs. Holding the third spot is way better, and the game against arch enemy Pittsburgh Penguins is still ahead. It’s a chance to climb past Penguins.

Three players have scored a hat trick in last seven games: Cam Atkinson, Artemi Panarin and Thomas Vanek.

Everything is possible

Columbus Blue Jackets’ culture is still young. Not many game in playoffs, not mentionable successes. There was a lot of buzz in Rogers Place’s media room, pondering how John Tortorella became the head coach with most wins (127) in Jackets’ history with win against Oilers. Previous record was held by Todd Richards.

Blue Jackets have five games remaining. Fight for playoff spots is going to be bloody, because after Tuesday Flodira Panthers, currently below playoff spot with 85 points, wants in. Wild card spots Philadelphia Flyers (90) and New Jersey Devils (88) and third place of Metropolitan division holder Columbus Blue Jackets are not willingly giving their spots. Win in Edmonton was, as the players and coach say, a really important victory to Columbus.

Florida Panthers is dangerous, because it still has eight games remaining. It has played only 74 so far, New Jersey has played 76, Philadelphia and Columbus both 77. Panthers’ last opponents are Toronto, Ottawa and Boston away; Carolina, Nashville, Boston and Buffalo at home, and yet again Boston away. Very tough teams right at the end.

Columbus’ last five games are Calgary and Vancouver away; Detroit and Pittsburgh at home, and the regular season ends at Nashville. The road to playoffs is not easy for Columbus Blue Jackets and neither is the road forward. If the playoffs started today, first round opponent would be again Pittsburgh Penguins. Everything could be resolved not until the last day of regular season. End even if everything goes the preferred way, the road to Stanley Cup still goes through Pittsburgh.

Columbus does not go to the playoffs as favourite, whether the opponent is either Pittsburgh, Washington or perhaps Tampa Bay Lightning.

But at some point, everyone has to slay their dragon.

Maybe this is Spring is the Columbus Blue Jackets’?

Can Bob save his team, when the money’s on the table?

Everything’s still possible.

__

Jouni Nieminen, Rogers Place, Edmonton

[email protected]

Reactions: Viqsi and Toe Pick

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't usually listen to CBJ in 30, but had some down time this afternoon

Bob McGoofball made the following statement about a Pittsburgh paper

"What is wrong with these people, can they not do math?" followed by.......

"The Penguins have 2 games left, that's a possible 6 points."

Right about the 9 minute mark

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Frustrating as all hell that this is a thing. If it weren't for his parents, I'd be expecting him to take a "hometown discount" to stay and wouldn't mind him being around. As is... :shakehead

Hopefully someone like Ken Holland decides he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and gives him a killer paycheck or something.

He's played poorly this year. I feel bad for the guy too, but like Dubi, he had plenty of chances to improve. They just want him to keep it simple, but he runs around a lot and it costs the team. He's been surpassed by younger, quicker and more talented options.

I see him landing somewhere as a 5/6 D, in a mentor role and on a 2 year deal. Hopefully he can revitalize some of his game and earn another contract after that.

You can probably count him in with guys who are going to bash the organization after they leave. I can already feel it coming.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
^I doubt he trashes the organization. All he has to do is watch the play of his fellow d men and compare. I hate that he has to get scratched down the stretch, but others are playing better and Torts held to his word.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
^I doubt he trashes the organization. All he has to do is watch the play of his fellow d men and compare. I hate that he has to get scratched down the stretch, but others are playing better and Torts held to his word.

I think he will. He asked to be traded, wasn't, and is now a healthy scratch. We'll see...

Reactions: Jaxs

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
With Nuti out Jack is going to be thrown back into the mix... yeah he wants to play more - go get it done JMFJ. I am fan. Can he crack the top six of Jones Z, Nuti Murr, Cole Savard... no? But can JMFJ still play? Absolutely he will be on a roster next year.

Reactions: Jaxs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad