Interesting Info: Part XIII (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzz*

Looks like we're going to see Bryzgalov vs. Bobrovsky on Tuesday.

That's one of the few possible interesting match-ups.
Another story lines:

Nikitin Vs. Belov. They are friends, same age, they were the top-pair for the KHL Avangard for a few seasons, including the last lock-out and have never played against each other.

Yakupov Vs. Murray. First ever meeting on the NHL ice.

Johansen Vs. Eberle. Who is better now?

7 or 8 Russians are gonna be on the NHL ice for the first time since... when?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Looks like we're going to see Bryzgalov vs. Bobrovsky on Tuesday.

Yep.... Edmonton is in so deep in the crud few can explain it.... nuff said on that.

Really interesting and I'm dying to make a thread but can't nor would... The CBJ have now gained points in five games in a row, they are 2-0-3 in the last five, sound familiar?

The Jackets have gotten 7 points out of the last 10!!! And: they have called up Erixon, Calvert and Jenner will be back during this road trip and Gabby is not taking up any more ice time... all is well. ;)

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
That's one of the few possible interesting match-ups.
Another story lines:

Nikitin Vs. Belov. They are friends, same age, they were the top-pair for the KHL Avangard for a few seasons, including the last lock-out and have never played against each other.

Yakupov Vs. Murray. First ever meeting on the NHL ice.

Johansen Vs. Eberle. Who is better now?

7 or 8 Russians are gonna be on the NHL ice for the first time since... when?

You forgot Howson Vs. Jarmo. Maybe they'll arm-wrestle during the first intermission. I like Jarmo's chances.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You forgot Howson Vs. Jarmo. Maybe they'll arm-wrestle during the first intermission. I like Jarmo's chances.

Howson's guys vs Jarmo's guys.

Howson has the entire roster and signed prospect pool. Jarmo has a guy with a bad shoulder, a guy with a bad knee, and Blake Comeau.

Of course, Boll was a MacLean guy, so if it comes down to a fight...

bizzz*

GMs don't arm-wrestle Senior Vice-Presidents of Hockey Operations :) Do the Jackets even have a Senior VP of HO?

But yeah, Howson is gonna see Ryan Murray and Ryan Johansen leading the Jackets against his current team. He drafted them and got a lot of s*** for that from different people, including some posters here... Must be a strange feeling for him.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

Howson has the entire roster and signed prospect pool. Jarmo has a guy with a bad shoulder, a guy with a bad knee, and Blake Comeau.

Of course, Boll was a MacLean guy, so if it comes down to a fight...

Mayor... you need to stay away from the booze... The current CBJ organiaztion under John Davidson is the best thing in CBJ history since Ron Tugnutt and Lyle Odelein.

You are the guy who even said Hall of Fame member Pat LaFontaine sucked!!!! A guy with 150 points in one season!! Dope...

bizzz*

What Davidson has done to make this organization the best thing in franchise history?
Howson drafted, traded for and signed the entire roster except the mentioned above. One of his very first free agency signings as a GM (in July 2007) was DMac, who scored a goal and played a great game for the Jackets TODAY. One of his first trades was for the guy who is playing on the Jackets 1st defensive pair and scored a goal TODAY. What Davidson's impact to all the brightness around the Jackets future? Am I the only one who doesn't see it?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

Howson was here 5 1/2 years, while Jarmo has been here less than a year - I'd have a big problem with Jarmo if there was more players/prospects that are 'his' than Howson's at this stage of the game because it would mean he just finished the biggest firesale in NHL history.

Anyways, before this degrades into another Howson debate….

The CBJ are 20 games in. They are 3 points out of a playoff spot and 4 points better than they were last year at this point.

Last year, it was right around now that they started their streak. Can they bottle lighting twice?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The only thing Davidson and Jarmo have done here is install a winning attitude in management, brought in their own management team, and bring in/extend 3 or 4 players (on the NHL team). This team is still at least 90% Howson's work. Not underlying the impact of JK and JD, they are very important to the future and the run last year, but thats the facts.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You are the guy who even said Hall of Fame member Pat LaFontaine sucked!!!! A guy with 150 points in one season!! Dope...

I did? First off, Lafontaine's career high was 148, not 150. His next-best total was 105.

Now, if you remember correctly (which you don't)...hell, here's the back-and-forth. Please identify where I said Lafontaine "sucked". Looks to me like I said that he didn't win anything in Buffalo. All references to Ted Nolan and Gerard Gallant have been cut.

When all else fails, bring back your own retreads.

This would be like making Geoff Sanderson president of hockey ops and sticking Gerard Gallant behind the bench.

True... except the guys the Sabres have brought back knew how to win and did... I don't think Nolan will coach next season, the new GM (whoever that will be) will probably hire his own guy...

Lafontaine's only experience with winning was the 1996 World Cup, when he was about the 8th-best forward on Team USA.

They are winners... and when compared to Sanderson as President and Gallant as coach it's not even close.

Pat Lafontaine was part of the USA's 1996 World Cup winning team. Geoff Sanderson was a part of World Championship wins in 1994 and 1997, plus a Memorial Cup in 1989.

When Lafontaine was with the Sabres, they did not win. They had one playoff series win in 1992-93, then were swept in the next round. That is all.

In fact, here's Lafontaine's complete playoff record.
1983-84 - Lost in Stanley Cup Final (12-9 overall record)
1984-85 - Lost in 2nd round (4-6)
1985-86 - Lost in 1st round (0-3)
1986-87 - Lost in 2nd round (7-7)
1987-88 - Lost in 1st round (2-4)
1988-89 - missed playoffs
1989-90 - Lost in 1st round (1-4)
1990-91 - missed playoffs
1991-92 - Lost in 1st round (3-4)
1992-93 - Lost in 2nd round (4-4)
1993-94 - Lost in 1st round (3-4)
1994-95 - Lost in 1st round (1-4)
1995-96 - missed playoffs
1996-97 - injured; missed most of season
1997-98 - missed playoffs

All told, that's a playoff record of:
Four times missing the postseason
Six times losing in the first round
Three times losing in the second round
One time making it to a conference final or beyond (1983-84), when he was an 18-year-old rookie and was the team's 7th-leading scorer in the playoffs.
Combined record of 37-49, with around 1/3 of those wins coming in his first year when he was hardly the team's go-to guy.

Now, find me a single usage in this entire post and quoted posts where I used the following words in reference to Lafontaine: "sucks" (or all variants of), "overrated", "mediocre" (or "average"), or anything else that refers to anything but the fact that his teams did not win when he was a large part of the offense.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The only thing Davidson and Jarmo have done here is install a winning attitude in management, brought in their own management team, and bring in/extend 3 or 4 players (on the NHL team). This team is still at least 90% Howson's work. Not underlying the impact of JK and JD, they are very important to the future and the run last year, but thats the facts.

Howson does have an imprint on the current CBJ roster but no different than any other pro sport does that change managers.....

Davidson led Saint Louis for several years before the Blues dominated..this season is just kids stuff... be patient.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
What Davidson has done to make this organization the best thing in franchise history?
Howson drafted, traded for and signed the entire roster except the mentioned above. One of his very first free agency signings as a GM (in July 2007) was DMac, who scored a goal and played a great game for the Jackets TODAY. One of his first trades was for the guy who is playing on the Jackets 1st defensive pair and scored a goal TODAY. What Davidson's impact to all the brightness around the Jackets future? Am I the only one who doesn't see it?

They made the players (and many of the fans) feel this organization was finally serious about winning. They still have to back that up.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Howson does have an imprint on the current CBJ roster but no different than any other pro sport does that change managers.....

Davidson led Saint Louis for several years before the Blues dominated..this season is just kids stuff... be patient.

JD+Jarmo > Howson > Trained chimp > MacLean

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Something I don't think Mayor brought up but last year was certainly more "Howson's team" than "Jarmo's" right?

If so, I'd still take the team at the end of last year over this one. I'm hoping that this team can regain that form.

Either way, I'm kind of tired about all the short "history" stuff that seems to sit in the back of the Jackets mind. I don't care if the Jackets aren't used to winning ways and I don't care if there is less pressure in Columbus than, say, New York or in Canada. They are a professional hockey team and professional hockey players who make millions to play. I hope they can put all the other stuff behind them and go out and do what they're paid to do (if it's score goals, then score goals) regardless of if they're wearing Union Blue or the fabled Winged Wheel.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I did? First off, Lafontaine's career high was 148, not 150. His next-best total was 105.

You said adding Waddle to Lafontaine and Nolan would be the trifecta of suck....

First off, few if any here even know who Waddle is (was) and second you have more crap than Hashmarks did....

Stop making me work so hard.... Freaking Lafontaine is in the HOF and Nolan has won more stuff than you ever dreamed of.... freaking Jack Adams just to start and you call him a loser!!!!

Crazy...

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Howson was here 5 1/2 years, while Jarmo has been here less than a year - I'd have a big problem with Jarmo if there was more players/prospects that are 'his' than Howson's at this stage of the game because it would mean he just finished the biggest firesale in NHL history.

Anyways, before this degrades into another Howson debate….

The CBJ are 20 games in. They are 3 points out of a playoff spot and 4 points better than they were last year at this point.

Last year, it was right around now that they started their streak. Can they bottle lighting twice?

Something I don't think Mayor brought up but last year was certainly more "Howson's team" than "Jarmo's" right?

If so, I'd still take the team at the end of last year over this one. I'm hoping that this team can regain that form.

Shocking as it is, I myself have grown weary. To me, there is no debate to be had, just inaccuracies that need corrected.;)

For the massive turnover that can take place from one year to the next just involving this franchise, I had this to say last year: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=63284789&postcount=129

As it stands right now at this moment, here's the breakdown of who acquired who in the system. These are only players under contract, and refers only to players who have not played in another organization between the time they were first picked up by the CBJ and today (so none of that Derrick Walser stuff).

MacLean: Jared Boll

Howson: Artem Anisimov, Cam Atkinson, Sergei Bobrovsky, Matt Calvert, Michael Chaput, Sean Collins, Ryan Craig, Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon, Nick Foligno, Boone Jenner, Ryan Johansen, Jack Johnson, Mark Letestu, Curtis McElhinney, Ryan Murray, Nikita Nikitin, Dalton Prout, David Savard, Fedor Tyutin, RJ Umberger, James Wisniewski, plus other signed players Josh Anderson, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Cody Bass, Anton Blomqvist, Anton Forsberg, Oliver Gabriel, Cody Goloubef, Jake Hansen, Thomas Larkin, Austin Madaisky, Lukas Sedlak, Dalton Smith, Will Weber

Kekalainen: Blake Comeau, Marian Gaborik, Nathan Horton, Jack Skille, plus non-NHL players Spencer Machacek, Mike McKenna, Patrick McNeill, Ilari Melart, Blake Parlett, Frederic St Denis, and Jeremy Smith

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You said adding Waddle to Lafontaine and Nolan would be the trifecta of suck....

First off, few if any here even know who Waddle is (was) and second you have more crap than Hashmarks did....

Stop making me work so hard.... Freaking Lafontaine is in the HOF and Nolan has won more stuff than you ever dreamed of.... freaking Jack Adams just to start and you call him a loser!!!!

Crazy...

That doesn't sound like something I'd say at all. Better check the easily-verified historical record that I can unearth in 10 seconds of checking.

@mirtle 29m

Sportsnet has two Sportsnet panelists on its "potential Sabres GM candidates" list: Doug MacLean and Neil Smith.

lolololol.

Why not round out the Tri-Suck with Don Waddell?

Gee, reading is hard.

bizzz*

The Blues have won 1 playoffs series over the last 8 years... how, where and who did they dominate?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You are not credible Mayor.... I would rather hear from Fang than you...

...so you accuse him of having declared a guy you like to "suck", he refutes that accusation with plenty of evidence and links to the historical record on which your conclusion re: his opinion was based, and that somehow makes him "not credible"?

That's... pretty incredible.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Mixer reports a strong probability that Tim Erixon is in the lineup tomorrow in Edmonton, as per the preview posted on blue jackets website. Sounds like Prout will be out again due to his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad