WGR: Interesting comment from Murray on Reinhart

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I listened to the interview. Murray only said "he was slotted" for "this year" so he could get favorable matchups with the opposing team's bottom 6/ bottom pairing D.

Things changed.

The fact that Ennis, Gionta, Moulson, are all having stinker of years is maybe forcing Bylsma to put Reinhart on the wing.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I really didn't hear it that way. My take was that Murray anticipated he'd have easier match-ups as the 3rd line center, but it didn't work out that way because we had to put him somewhere else.

Murray directly stated that Reinhart wasn't getting the matchups they envisioned for him as the 3rd line center. But that he was happy with his development in the role he has been given. There was no qualifier of "it didn't work out because he had to be put somewhere else"

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think I did a poor job explaining myself in the OP. Because a very interesting discussion could be had if posters got what I was saying better.

We saw a shift in the way Disco approached the season to the way things were discussed by Murray and Disco coming into camp. We were going to have a clearcut top line of Kane/ROR/Ennis that would play in all situations. Then lines 2 and 3 were going to be rookie led centered by Eichel and Reinhart. And a 4th line with a checking role centered by Larsson

But Disco decided to alter the model and go with a 3rd line checking/matchup line. To do that he put Larsson in as the 3rd line center, moved Reinhart to wing and put Legwand in as the 4th line center. Girgs eventually took over the 3rd line checking role by game 5. That was after the long talk Disco and Girgs had at practice if you recall.

I think it was Disco being nervous about two rookies centering 2 of the top 3 lines and not having faith in Rienahrt handling the role he had in mind for the 3rd line. Something he didn't seem to have faith Reinhart could handle as the 3rd line center. It seems obvious in retrospect when looking at Reinhart's ES ice time to start the year that Disco wanted to shelter him at ES. He hardly played at ES. He got mostly 4th line minutes and occasionally 3rd to start the season. His overall ice time got a boost from PP ice time but his ES ice time was pretty low for a good stretch of time to start the year. Obviously his ice time went up as the season went along and he should he could handle things.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I listened to the interview. Murray only said "he was slotted" for "this year" so he could get favorable matchups with the opposing team's bottom 6/ bottom pairing D.

Things changed.

The fact that Ennis, Gionta, Moulson, are all having stinker of years is maybe forcing Bylsma to put Reinhart on the wing.

I don't get why posters keep posting this.

The decision to put Reinhart on the wing happened BEFORE the season started. How anyone has played DURING the season AFTER it was decided to put him on wing obviously had nothing to do with the decision.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think I did a poor job explaining myself in the OP. Because a very interesting discussion could be had if posters got what I was saying better.

We saw a shift in the way Disco approached the season to the way things were discussed by Murray and Disco coming into camp. We were going to have a clearcut top line of Kane/ROR/Ennis that would play in all situations. Then lines 2 and 3 were going to be rookie led centered by Eichel and Reinhart. And a 4th line with a checking role centered by Larsson

But Disco decided to alter the model and go with a 3rd line checking/matchup line. To do that he put Larsson in as the 3rd line center, moved Reinhart to wing and put Legwand in as the 4th line center. Girgs eventually took over the 3rd line checking role by game 5. That was after the long talk Disco and Girgs had at practice if you recall.

I think it was Disco being nervous about two rookies centering 2 of the top 3 lines and not having faith in Rienahrt handling the role he had in mind for the 3rd line. Something he didn't seem to have faith Reinhart could handle as the 3rd line center. It seems obvious in retrospect when looking at Reinhart's ES ice time to start the year that Disco wanted to shelter him at ES. He hardly played at ES. He got mostly 4th line minutes and occasionally 3rd to start the season. His overall ice time got a boost from PP ice time but his ES ice time was pretty low for a good stretch of time to start the year. Obviously his ice time went up as the season went along and he should he could handle things.

Still not really sure what you're getting at.

For as bad as DB was at the beginning of the season as it came to player usages, he's gotten much better as the season has gone on...for the most part. Yes, there are still parts of games where one can scratch their heads at DB's decisions.....but DB has gotten better with his usages as the season has gone on.

As far as being nervous about Jack and Sam being the 2/3 line centers....I don't blame him. A number of fans were nervous about it too.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Still not really sure what you're getting at.

Fair enough

For as bad as DB was at the beginning of the season as it came to player usages, he's gotten much better as the season has gone on...for the most part. Yes, there are still parts of games where one can scratch their heads at DB's decisions.....but DB has gotten better with his usages as the season has gone on.

I'm not really criticizing his player usage. I'll comment more on this at the end*

As far as being nervous about Jack and Sam being the 2/3 line centers....I don't blame him. A number of fans were nervous about it too.

I get it the concern as well. But if this is supposed to be development year, why not?

------------

I've found it interested when Murray reveals things that he had envisioned for the season and they don't always jive with the path Disco has taken this year.

One example of this was Murray's recent comments on Reinhart. There are plenty of other ones. What I was curious about was what made Disco decide to make this specific change (Reinhart away from center). Disco has handled Reinhart in a far more protective way than he did with Eichel. Disco obviously did not share Murray's enthusiasm and faith in Reinhart as the season started.

*Since you brought up player usage

One of the things that will be interesting going forward is how Murray addresses holes on the roster. Part of what helps him get an idea of what needs addressing is how the team and specific players are playing. As has been discussed in many threads, usage and role heavily influence these things. So when some are struggling or not playing up to expectations is it because of that? Or is it because of something else? When the coach veers away from the GM's vision, even a little bit, it can impact how the pieces the GM acquired becomes what he was envisioning.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad