Interesting article on IIHF on Ovechkin/rookie eligibility

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
just curious...what is the age a player can enter the ECHL or AHL or other minor leagues? (professional)

people here would probably have a fit if that age (if there is indeed a minimum...i honestly don't know) was reduced to 15 or 16...

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
gamera said:
just curious...what is the age a player can enter the ECHL or AHL or other minor leagues? (professional)
I believe it is 18 for both leagues.

gamera said:
people here would probably have a fit if that age (if there is indeed a minimum...i honestly don't know) was reduced to 15 or 16...

Why is that?

I know Wayne Gretzky started his pro career in the WHA at the ripe old age of 17.

BIGTRAIN*

Spongebob said:
I believe it is 18 for both leagues.

Why is that?

I know Wayne Gretzky started his pro career in the WHA at the ripe old age of 17.
MAKARAF ( FROM THE KLM LINE ) WON IT AT 27 SPELLING OF THE NAME IS WRONG SORRY

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Boy the crosby fans cannot have their binkey no grt the calder. You explain in detail why you give a higher ceiling to crosby when this past season showed ovechkin was the better all around player and was not a big crybaby when things did not go his way.

for example

overchkin>crosby in goal scoring eventhough he was the caps only threat
ovechkin=crosby in setting up teamates for goals
ovechkin is far greater than crosby in the defensive end of the ice
ovechkin takes the body while crosby faint away from it
ovechkin is totally a team player and the only time he is happy is when the team wins.He has stated if he scored few goals as long as the team wins that is the most important thing.
These are a few of the thing that make ovechkin on a different plateau and that is the difference between these two players.
You are officially in the top 5 percentile for worst posters on these boards.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Boy the crosby fans cannot have their binkey no grt the calder. You explain in detail why you give a higher ceiling to crosby when this past season showed ovechkin was the better all around player and was not a big crybaby when things did not go his way.

for example

ovechkin is totally a team player and the only time he is happy is when the team wins.He has stated if he scored few goals as long as the team wins that is the most important thing.
These are a few of the thing that make ovechkin on a different plateau and that is the difference between these two players.

Crosby definitely has a higher ceiling. He will be a better hockey player, score more points and win more championships than anyone in the next 20 years, including Ovechkin. How do you like those apples binkey boy?

Last edited:

ShadowFax

Mar 10, 2004
SUPERFAN-1 said:

for example

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I think they should do it one of two ways:

1. Best player for their age under 22 at the start of the season.

Sid would win

or

2. Best play throughout the season for all those eligible (again under 22 starting the season)

Close/probably Ovechkin though Sid may be better at the end of the season

I don't think it should matter how a 20 year old got as good as he did by the ripe old age of 20.

But they shouldn't base it on a "mix" of 1. and 2. where it is unknown what one is winning it for.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
motojime said:
I would give it to Crosby. Just can't compare a man with a boy.

So, pretty much just throw the rule book out the window?

SUPERFAN-1 said:
MAKARAF ( FROM THE KLM LINE ) WON IT AT 27 SPELLING OF THE NAME IS WRONG SORRY

Good lord, thats the worst spelling of any word i've ever seen. You do that he was Russian, right? How many Russians have an AF at the end of their name? Hell, how many HUMANS have an AF at the end of their name.

Jesus wept. :cry:

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
SUPERFAN-1 said:

for example

I'd definitely say that Ovechkin was the best rookie in the NHL this year, but I also think Crosby will catch up and over take him, perhaps not in every department, but in terms of points production, thats just my theory/hunch, my reasoning is he's only 18 and going from the CHL to the NHL was a HUGE jump and still managed 100 points, just think what he could do at age of 20 if he continues to develop which most 18 year olds do, AO will also improve but I think Crosby has more room to improve, I also dont like some of Crosbies whining but i have to give him his due.... thats my 2 cents worth.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Dempsey said:
Would this mean that any player who spends a year in the AHL before making the jump to the NHL would also not be eligible for the calder?
QUOTE]

No - but maybe there should be a ceiling on the number of pro games... like 200 ? weather its AHL, SEL etc etc.. because these are pro leagues and damn good ones at that, whats wrong with having another award for the best first year in the NHL and a separate award for rookies?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
SUPERFAN-1 said:

for example

Wow this is definatly the biggest fan boy i've seen on the boards, atleast the other fan boys can bring something to write about and still say Corsby or Ovechkin is good aswell.

You don't watch Crosby at all and Crosby had more assists so it's

Crosby>Ovechkin for setting up goals.

Anyway the article shows what i've been saying since the beginning of the season and is right about Ovechkin having more pro games and Crosby on his first season with men, 2 years younger, etcetcetc but that doesn't matter now considering NHL season is done and we can continue debating this till we are red in the face but it's the NHL that counts now. Ovechkin deserves calder and that's all.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Captain Conservative said:
Good lord, thats the worst spelling of any word i've ever seen. You do that he was Russian, right? How many Russians have an AF at the end of their name? Hell, how many HUMANS have an AF at the end of their name.

:biglaugh:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
12# Peter Bondra said:
This doesnt make sense (the article). That would mean that almost no European rookie could win the Calder cause the real good ones (Meszaros, Ovechkin, Malkin, Lundqvist) do get pro hockey at a low age.

It would make the Calder a trophy for NA young players.

And that I belive is what a lot of NA´s would like...

gimzo23

Jan 5, 2006

GetzlAF has :D

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
You may as well make a rule that says no European is ever eligible as that's what this would effectively amount to.
Any top European prospect that's going to have an immediate impact in the NHL is certain to have played Professionally in Europe before coming over.

Leaving the Calder pretty much exclusively for North Americans coming straight from juniors.

I can see making a distinct maximum age of 23 or so for someone to be Calder eligible, but going the route the article implies pretty much invalidates he majority of hockey nations in the world from ever producing a Calder candidare.

There has never been a problem with Europeans winning the award before, and you can be certain they had "pro" experience... I can't think of any reason why we should remove them from consideration now.

Perhaps more important, it seems to me we would be unfairly punishing Ovechkin.
We must now punish Ovechkin because he was good enough for the RSL at 16? Instead we want him to be worse at 16-19 to ensure he can't play professionally prior to the NHL.
Or perhaps it's somehow Ovechkin's fault that the RSL allows players of 16 to play professionally if their good enough?

KrisKing*

So, pretty much just throw the rule book out the window?

Feel like a big man now? You should become a moderator so you can personally correct everyone's spelling.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
They should leave things alone. In fact, I'd even take the age eligibility rule out as well. If you are 32 years old, enter the NHL and can put up Ovechkin/Crosby numbers, you should be a Calder candidate. And in most years, you'd probably win.

Age should always be a consideration when handing out ROY honors. A few years ago in baseball, the AL ROY vote was close because Hideki Matsui was much older than Rocco Baldelli. One came from Japan, the other from A ball. Personally, I like these discrepancies. It makes the rookies all the more fascinating.

As for the nauseating Ovechkin/Crosby debate, I think most sane, rational Penguins/Crosby fans would suggest the following: The Calder is not the award that goes to the best prospect entering the NHL. It's the award for the rookie that had the best first season in the NHL. That's Ovechkin.

Crosby can take solace in the fact that only 3-4 other rookies would have ever beaten him in the history of the game for the Calder...Ovechkin, Selanne, Gretzky (had the NHL not had a vendetta against the WHA) and Orr. That is pretty awesome company.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Crosbyfan said:
I think they should do it one of two ways:

1. Best player for their age under 22 at the start of the season.

Sid would win

or

2. Best play throughout the season for all those eligible (again under 22 starting the season)

Close/probably Ovechkin though Sid may be better at the end of the season

I don't think it should matter how a 20 year old got as good as he did by the ripe old age of 20.

But they shouldn't base it on a "mix" of 1. and 2. where it is unknown what one is winning it for.
Under both those circumstances Ovechkin would still win. Both players had great seasons, Ovechkin slightly better reguardless of age

I thought the Calder was for the NHL's best rookie, not the best rookie in his 1st year playing pros. If Ovechkin doesnt deserve to be ROY in some eyes, the same can be said for Malkin, the early favorite for his 1st year in the NHL ROY.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm starting to not like the Calder award. Maybe it's just because there are 10+ rookies this year who would probably win it in another year.

Ovechkin should get the award because he was the best of the rookies this year. I don't think Crosby is that far behind him and it is my opinion that Crosby will pass him, but the fact of the matter is that barring injury, both will be locks for scoring in the top 10 (or 5, or 3, or 2) for the next several years.

To me this award is pretty meaningless. The Penguins finished in last place this year and have a lot of improvement before I can stop picking teams to follow in the playoffs every year. I'm sure it would be a nice award for Crosby to win himself, but it doesn't really matter for me as a fan, and I guarantee you that both Ovechkn and Crosby would forfeit any chance of winning this award to have a chance at the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad