Interesting article on IIHF on Ovechkin/rookie eligibility

MartinFr

Feb 16, 2006
Kalmar
.....so Sidney can have his award? I understand his point, and maybe there should be a maxiumum amount of PRO-games before coming over to the NHL and still have the rookie-status..

Last edited:

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
CSKA said:
more Crosby propaganda ...
Im not sure I see it that way.... Ive thought of this in previous years before i knew either player....and really I like Ovechkin as much as Crosby. tho realistically id have to say Sid still has a higher ceiling.

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
I don't think it was written with the intention of being Crosby propaganda. If anything it says Ovechkin is the better player at the moment. I did find it be to be a very matter of fact article, good numbers to back it up and posed a valid question about thebalance of Calder trophy candidate eligibility and fairness even though both are first year NHL players.

CaptCrunch

Apr 25, 2006
The article is very logic...

However, if Teemu Selanne could get the Calder in 1993, I don't understand why Ovechkin shouldn't get it.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
The whole artikel has absolutly nothing to do with the worlds ......its a NHL thing. So why come up with some BS like that ?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
If people had such a problem with it, why wait until this year to complain? Obviously, nobody's had a problem with it before, and I believe some could argue that the transition between two countries is almost comparable to the transition between junior and the NHL.

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
It's not saying he shouldn't get it, it just points out that despite both being eligible it isn't necessarily a level playing field.

CSKA- I thought it was obvious why the article was written, both guys are playing at the worlds, therefore it is somewhat relevant.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I've only used this writer's points to support the fact that Ovechkin had a slight advantage as a more developed player, but that has nothing to do with his Calder eligibility. Ovechkin played in the NHL as soon as the NHL allowed him to, and he tore it up.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
This doesnt make sense (the article). That would mean that almost no European rookie could win the Calder cause the real good ones (Meszaros, Ovechkin, Malkin, Lundqvist) do get pro hockey at a low age.

It would make the Calder a trophy for NA young players.

BIGTRAIN*

HOCKEY_GURU said:
Im not sure I see it that way.... Ive thought of this in previous years before i knew either player....and really I like Ovechkin as much as Crosby. tho realistically id have to say Sid still has a higher ceiling.

Boy the crosby fans cannot have their binkey no grt the calder. You explain in detail why you give a higher ceiling to crosby when this past season showed ovechkin was the better all around player and was not a big crybaby when things did not go his way.

for example

overchkin>crosby in goal scoring eventhough he was the caps only threat
ovechkin=crosby in setting up teamates for goals
ovechkin is far greater than crosby in the defensive end of the ice
ovechkin takes the body while crosby faint away from it
ovechkin is totally a team player and the only time he is happy is when the team wins.He has stated if he scored few goals as long as the team wins that is the most important thing.
These are a few of the thing that make ovechkin on a different plateau and that is the difference between these two players.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Boy the crosby fans cannot have their binkey no grt the calder. You explain in detail why you give a higher ceiling to crosby when this past season showed ovechkin was the better all around player and was not a big crybaby when things did not go his way.

for example

ovechkin=crosby in setting up teamates for goals lmao
ovechkin is far greater than crosby in the defensive end of the ice lmao
ovechkin takes the body while crosby faint away from it lmao
ovechkin is totally a team player and the only time he is happy is when the team wins.He has stated if he scored few goals as long as the team wins that is the most important thing. lmao

These are a few of the thing that make ovechkin on a different plateau and that is the difference between these two players. lmao

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
HOCKEY_GURU said:

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Sid will end up being the better player. 2 years younger, never played professional hockey, and he only fell short of Ovechkin by 4 points.

burgundynblue

Aug 7, 2005
SUPERFAN-1 said:

for example

ovechkin is totally a team player and the only time he is happy is when the team wins.He has stated if he scored few goals as long as the team wins that is the most important thing.
These are a few of the thing that make ovechkin on a different plateau and that is the difference between these two players.
Isn't your surname Looker or Schindler? You are completely one-sided.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
SUPERFAN-1 said:

for example

No that is why Ovechkin was better this year, and nobody is arguing that. However, you forgot to mention Crosby has never played professional hockey and he is 2 years younger.

And there is no way in hell the two are equal at setting up teammates, Sid is the much better playmaker.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Buffalo87 said:
No that is why Ovechkin was better this year, and nobody is arguing that. However, you forgot to mention Crosby has never played professional hockey and he is 2 years younger.

And you forgot to mention that Ovechkins first language is russian. Hes english is bad. He played the first time on a smaller rink the whole saison.Homesick....another country and and and :dunno:

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Would this mean that any player who spends a year in the AHL before making the jump to the NHL would also not be eligible for the calder?

Leave it the way it is. Besides, europeans have the added trouble of moving to a new country, learning a new language, etc.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
CSKA said:
And you forgot to mention that Ovechkins first language is russian. Hes english is bad. He played the first time on a smaller rink the whole saison.Homesick....another country and and and :dunno:

I agree that does have some effect on your performance but not as much as never playing professional hockey.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
quite honestly, it makes perfect sense to me. the most important point he made was that the NHL considers anyone a rookie who has not played in the NHL before....perhaps, similar to the age restriction mentioned in the article, this, too, will be seen as an incorrect assumption and European leagues will be considered professional, as well they should be, and the Calder award will go to the player who has never played professional hockey before.

that being said...there are players in NA that would be eligible after playing in the AHL or ECHL, etc...so....

it's a sticky wicket indeed

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
This article makes it sound like Ovechkin is 30 years old and Crosby is 14. They are after all less than 23 months apart in age.....I mean just because the RSL lets Ovechkin play pro hockey at the age of 16 doesn't mean he should be penalized for it.....most people on these boards say that putting an 18 year old into a pro league actually hinders their development.....but when a 16 year old is able to do it he has an unfair advantage......come on people you can't have it both ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->