Rumor: Interest between Oilers, Marleau

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Sharks just dont need him. He pushes out young talent and didnt really have the same loyalty or dedication to the team that Thornton has.

He wouldnt be pushing out any young talent as we still have 3 spots in top 9.

I understand not wanting him in the top 6.

But there is absolutely a place for him on the third or fourth line. We dont have 3 nhl caliber conributing players waiting to take a spot and be a 30-40 point producer.

At the very least he replaces donskoi production

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

But there is absolutely a place for him on the third or fourth line. We dont have 3 nhl caliber conributing players waiting to take a spot and be a 30-40 point producer.

Seeing as 39 year old Marleau played more 5-on-5 minutes than any Sharks forward last season and more PP minutes than all but 4 Sharks forwards, and still only scored the same amount of points as Donskoi last season, I think you ought to temper your expectations for 40 year old Marleau.

There is a very strong chance that he fails to match Donskoi’s production. And there is no chance that Marleau matches Donskoi’s 3-zone play.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

How do we know that he even has that production left in him, yes he had that last year being given optimal times and lines. Even barring a trade we have a ton of NHL ready bottom 6 guys like Brodzinski, Kellman,True and Suomela.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Seeing as 39 year old Marleau played more 5-on-5 minutes than any Sharks forward last season and more PP minutes than all but 4 Sharks forwards, and still only scored the same amount of points as Donskoi last season, I think you ought to temper your expectations for 40 year old Marleau. There is a very strong chance that he fails to match Donskoi’s production.

i dont think hes gonna light the world on fire, but i think matching 15-16 goals is doable and 30 plus points is a realistic goal. so instead of at least, within the realm of donskoi production.

That and i dont see him going half a season without a goal. as our roster stands now, thought would be good enough for the 7th 8th at worse production of our 12 forwards.

There i s a place for him. him and chi twin and an outside aquistion would be ideal.

these young kids will not fill all the holes, and marleau may only partially fill a void all get that. but theres no way there are even9 forwards better then him on our roster let alone the 10,11,12 forward spotas

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Seeing as 39 year old Marleau played more 5-on-5 minutes than any Sharks forward last season and more PP minutes than all but 4 Sharks forwards, and still only scored the same amount of points as Donskoi last season, I think you ought to temper your expectations for 40 year old Marleau. There is a very strong chance that he fails to match Donskoi’s production.
Marleau was brutal. Out of 16 Leafs forwards with over 50 minutes, Marleau was dead last in p/60. And nearly 30% of his shifts were with Matthews. Par Lindholm had 1 goal all year and played mainly with 4 liners and produced points at a better rate.

To be honest, I would be very surprised if Edmonton (or any team) was interested in him after that horrible year

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
How do we know that he even has that production left in him, yes he had that last year being given optimal times and lines. Even barring a trade we have a ton of NHL ready bottom 6 guys like Brodzinski, Kellman,True and Suomela.

Brodinski is the one player i like that can be a really great dark horse signing.

possibly a chi twin and theres still gaps.

i think its more likely that marleau puts up 15 goals again then it is expectining kellman,true or suomela too

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I don't know, I love Patty but he's awful close to done. If there isn't a reasonable shot at a cup available maybe he should just tap out.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Brodinski is the one player i like that can be a really great dark horse signing.

possibly a chi twin and theres still gaps.

i think its more likely that marleau puts up 15 goals again then it is expectining kellman,true or suomela too
Maybe, but I agree with DW in that I would rather give a rookie a shot at it who can be replaced with another, rather then clog our lines with a Marleau who will be played too high and might fail at the role hes given

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
i dont think hes gonna light the world on fire, but i think matching 15-16 goals is doable and 30 plus points is a realistic goal. so instead of at least, within the realm of donskoi production.

That and i dont see him going half a season without a goal. as our roster stands now, thought would be good enough for the 7th 8th at worse production of our 12 forwards.

There i s a place for him. him and chi twin and an outside aquistion would be ideal.

these young kids will not fill all the holes, and marleau may only partially fill a void all get that. but theres no way there are even9 forwards better then him on our roster let alone the 10,11,12 forward spotas

If Marleau got Donskoi’s minutes from last season and maintained his own scoring rates, he would’ve scored 23 ES points and 3 PP points. For a total of 26 points. At that point, you’re looking at 70% of Donskoi’s production, with the caveat that Donskoi was miles better defensively. Once you adjust for the inflated goals against and deflated possession that come with replacing Donskoi’s minutes with Marleau, I would argue you’re looking at about half of Donskoi’s overall productivity/positive impact.

Now consider that those scoring rates come from his age 39 season, playing significant minutes on a line with one of the league’s best even strength scorers in Auston Matthews, on one of the league’s highest scoring teams in Toronto. Youngsters like Kasperi Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson both scored more than TWICE as many 5-on-5 points per 60 minutes as Marleau did.

Again, people really need to understand the way that Babcock deployed him. He is not a 37 point player under any other coach in the league. I don’t think anybody in the league got more favorable deployment - relative to what they actually are and relative to the other options that were available - than Marleau did.

And yes, there certainly is a way that there are 9 forwards on our roster who are superior to Marleau. That way comes from determining who is “better” based on literally anything other than raw points.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I keep bookmarking these threads for when Marleau signs in San Jose. I would love him on the 4th line of the Sharks on a league minimum deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if he signs right after the prospect tournament if no one steps up. Or later in the season when an injury happens.

I just can't see him not playing in California like this supposed rumour says.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Marleau was brutal. Out of 16 Leafs forwards with over 50 minutes, Marleau was dead last in p/60. And nearly 30% of his shifts were with Matthews. Par Lindholm had 1 goal all year and played mainly with 4 liners and produced points at a better rate.

To be honest, I would be very surprised if Edmonton (or any team) was interested in him after that horrible year

I think Carolina wanted him to play for them, so I would imagine that teams still have some interest. However, I don’t think that interest is based on anything other than name value and “veteran presence”.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
A long cold Edmonton winter is about as far as you can get from west coast hockey.

There must be absolutely zero interest from anyone out there for him to engage with Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad