Rumor: Interest between Oilers, Marleau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I’m usually the type to laugh at the leadership and veteran excuses as reasons for signing bad players, but this is an exception. With McDavid and how bad that Oilers group is on paper why not?

Reactions: 7even

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No, Bosco's hockey rumors is not a legitimate source. On the same level as TreenasOil.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Doesn't really make sense from Marleau's view. I thought he wanted to come back south to work on his tan again. Then again crazier things have happened , maybe there just isn't offers for him and he still wants to play.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I’m usually the type to laugh at the leadership and veteran excuses as reasons for signing bad players, but this is an exception. With McDavid and how bad that Oilers group is on paper why not?
This. 1000%.
McDavid and the younger guys could really use a solid hockey dad.
Look how close he got with Marner and Matthews.
Worst case scenario, he is a solid vet who likely doesnt need a ton of money and can play at least a 3W role on a bad team.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Not that the source is good, but I bet Marleau was counting on joining the Sharks. If that fell through, he might need something prior to retirement. But his family already moved to California, right? I'd say either he plays one season max, or outright retires before the season.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Sharks just dont need him. He pushes out young talent and didnt really have the same loyalty or dedication to the team that Thornton has.
The most important reason is the fact that he is barely NHL level anymore imo... Might be a decent add for Edm to try to change the room a little but there comes a time when a player just isnt good enough anymore.

Happened to Marty St.Louis his last year in NY and he still scored 52 points in 74 games that season but he was done. Couldnt keep up anymore and made mistakes all the time.
Damn impressive scoring at that rate when he was almost 40 but overall he was awful. Lost the puck in 90% of his puck battles etc... St.Louis was clearly overall a negative player at that time imo which i also think Marleau was last season.

Reactions: themelkman

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Sharks just dont need him. He pushes out young talent and didnt really have the same loyalty or dedication to the team that Thornton has.

Also he isn't as good as Thornton. Joe still had 51 pts and was on pace for 20 more pts than Marleau had

Reactions: themelkman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad