Inter-GM Communication

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I figured I'd post this here to avoid some of the knuckleheads on the main board.

Say a GM wants to shop a player around. How does he get word out to all the other GM's? I would think there is a way to get in touch with all of them at once.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
Carrier Pigeons.

In all seriousness, they have each other's contact info. Not only that but I'm sure the NHL hands out a list to each team full of other team's contact info (even for assistants).

The above poster is completely correct.

And they are official e-mail addresses like [email protected] and not [email protected].

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
They have a super top secret private board here.

If you're nice to an Administartor, maybe he/she'll give you the link and passwd.

piratessabres08

Jun 2, 2008
Buffalo/Detroit
I can't say who each GM usually speaks to, but going by trades its seems like each GM has at least a few established relationships that always seem to come up.

What I mean is Philly seems to trade a lot with Tampa, NY Rangers and Phoenix have made quite a few trades in the last few years. Buffalo always seems to trade with Columbus and San Jose a lot. I can see Stevie Y trading a lot with Detroit in the future.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They have a super top secret private board here.

If you're nice to an Administartor, maybe he/she'll give you the link and passwd.

Too many people would be critiquing Burke's trade proposals there unfortunately.

I imagine the GM's have each others phone numbers readily plugged into their smartphones.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They post here, and if it looks like it's going to happen they PM their real biz numbers.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Call Darren Dreger. If he thinks it's a good idea then he'll mention it and your work is done. If he doesn't, then call Nick Kypreos.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Say a GM wants to shop a player around. How does he get word out to all the other GM's? I would think there is a way to get in touch with all of them at once.

They meet once a month in the catacombs underneath Old St.Pats in the 5 Points District of NYC. Dead Rabbits one & all. :help:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I asked Sharks GM Doug Wilson once. Says he regularly talks to all GMs.

I get the feeling he talks at least once every two weeks during the season, even if it's nothing more than a "how's the family, the team" kinda call.

It appears that when GMs gather (BOG meetings, GM meetings, Draft, NHL Awards, etc.) there may be conversations of a general nature (e.g., "if you ever want to trade player X, call me"; or "I'm looking for a <specific type> player"; or "I'm looking to shed some salary, anyone you'd be interested in"). And things may heat up from there.

And a good working relationship helps as well. If you deal with a GM who is straightforward and follows through, you might deal with him again. (Now, if you're Burke/Lowe and/or Lowe/Lombardi, you may lose a guy's phone number on purpose. And don't think that other GMs aren't watching and making their own notes about whether to work with a guy in the future.)

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I agree with the whole thing about GM's being human. You'd think by some of the stuff posted on the boards, that GM's are all about "winning" a trade, as opposed to simply two people trying to make their teams better. I don't think there's really alot of animosity between most of them.

I've lost count of the number of times, for example, I hear "Burke's hated by every GM in the league!" I don't think there's really any hate (Well Edmonton might be touchy ;) ), but the GM's are just trying to do a job. They make good trades, they make bad trades-they're just trying to better their hockey teams-and I'm pretty sure they don't get as feverent about it as some fans in their respective fanbases :)

I actually think if fans actually got to see their GM's in trade discussions, at the draft table, GM meetings, ect, I think the feverent ones would be AGHAST at how "civilized" and "get along" they are with each other.

Booom

Jan 1, 2011
Assistant GM/Hockey Op directors etc. are mainly reponsible for getting the word out. It's not uncommon for them to make 10-15 calls, voicemails, emails etc. to teams they think may be interested. General Managers generally make the more sensitive calls involving bigger names / blockbuster trades because the list of teams is usually a lot smaller.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I asked Sharks GM Doug Wilson once. Says he regularly talks to all GMs.

I get the feeling he talks at least once every two weeks during the season, even if it's nothing more than a "how's the family, the team" kinda call.

It appears that when GMs gather (BOG meetings, GM meetings, Draft, NHL Awards, etc.) there may be conversations of a general nature (e.g., "if you ever want to trade player X, call me"; or "I'm looking for a <specific type> player"; or "I'm looking to shed some salary, anyone you'd be interested in"). And things may heat up from there.

And a good working relationship helps as well. If you deal with a GM who is straightforward and follows through, you might deal with him again. (Now, if you're Burke/Lowe and/or Lowe/Lombardi, you may lose a guy's phone number on purpose. And don't think that other GMs aren't watching and making their own notes about whether to work with a guy in the future.)

When I lived in Vancouver I dealt with Burke on a weekly basis(The bar I worked at was near where Burke was a lot) and he siad he talked to the other Gm's atleast once a week just becuase--He said he would usually take an hour a week and do a call around to exchange info with other GM's on veries subjects. Burke loves talking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad