Insoles are underrated, solved a bunch of my issues

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
I just wanted to make a thread for this if it helps anyone else out because I commonly see people have issues that this fixed for me.

An aftermarket insole like Superfeet can make a huge difference in how your skates fit, feel and perform. I got the Carbon Ones for my inline skates and it solved a bunch of issues for me. I was having balance issues and and some lacebite issues for having to tie my laces too tight.

Despite my skates being the right size, The Superfeet removed the negative space in my boot that the stock insole did not, fit my arch better and the results were pretty noticeable right away. I had better balance, more effecient energy transfer and lacebite issue was solved by not having to tight my laces so tight.

PS: I'm not a shill for SuperFeet or anything, just wanted to let people know that it can make a huge difference.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I had Bauer speed plates in my previous skates, and my current ones come with them. They’re amazing. They really increase the sensation of contact with the ice. Yes they make a huge difference. A lot of people prefer superfeet, but they didn’t work for me as they lifted my feet up too high.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I have a Superfeet Carbon insole in my left skate only and it's been noticeable in terms of helping my balance and skating performance as my left leg was slightly shorter than my right.

Arselona

Nov 9, 2007
I don't think they are underrated, my experience is that most people who use special insoles vouch for them.. I didn't really have issues but bought Superfeey Carbon to see if they would help my skating.. I feel they do give a slightly better fit and perhaps better response/feel. Not sure about 11% better acceleration (that the package promised) but definitely a bit better feel and perhaps performance.

Reactions: Golden Puppers

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
I sold them (superfeet) for most of my career in sporting goods, easily over 1000 pairs between ski, skate, footwear, etc. 95% of the population will notice better fit or performance with them, but they MUST be fit to your foot, and then trimmed to fit the skate.

Anyone who slips a pair in out of the box will likely hate them.

I have no experience with speed plates, but I would imagine they are great as well - anything is better than what comes stock, except maybe soft gel inserts lol. Those can go right in the trash (even for foot pain from standing, jumping, etc - your foot has a very nice fat pad of it's own..)

Reactions: Golden Puppers

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Stock inserts are trash. Anyone that says an aftermarket insole wasn't an improvement isn't being honest.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
I had speedplates for a while and decided to try out superfeet. MASSIVE difference and completely changed how my foot fit in the boot in a great way.

Grodon

Apr 9, 2017
Not enough folks talk about Graf SIDAS insoles, those are amazing.
But like anything, try before you buy, we all have different types of feet.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Stock inserts are trash. Anyone that says an aftermarket insole wasn't an improvement isn't being honest.

Superfeet gave me lace bite and the arches were uncomfortable. A lot of people do like them, I guess they did not suit my foot shape.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Superfeet gave me lace bite and the arches were uncomfortable. A lot of people do like them, I guess they did not suit my foot shape.

There are multiple options, though. Superfeet are just one option, for specific feet.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Where did you find these? I have tried a couple pairs without much relief....

Thx.

Sorry just saw this. I recently bought the Carbon Superfeet from my LHS. Got them machine fitted (one of those machines that measures your foot to a T) and then baked them and it made a huge difference like I said. Balance and stability was improved and more efficient energy transfer (because of the removal of negative space).

Also see the bolded from the poster below.

I sold them (superfeet) for most of my career in sporting goods, easily over 1000 pairs between ski, skate, footwear, etc. 95% of the population will notice better fit or performance with them, but they MUST be fit to your foot, and then trimmed to fit the skate.

Anyone who slips a pair in out of the box will likely hate them.

I have no experience with speed plates, but I would imagine they are great as well - anything is better than what comes stock, except maybe soft gel inserts lol. Those can go right in the trash (even for foot pain from standing, jumping, etc - your foot has a very nice fat pad of it's own..)

Reactions: Bruckuss

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
On my end, SuperFeet helped tremendously with backward skating. Felt so much better in my skate, having thin wide feets, it just made the fit right. I'm curious about the other specialty insoles but do not feel I need to change what works for me at this point. My son also benefitted a lot when I added SuperFeet in it's skates. It's an additional spending that need to be added to new skates every 2 years since those little nuggets grow so fast but it's worth it.

I actually look how the kids I coach are skating and recommend insoles to any of them that already uses specialty insoles in their shoes (if they need arch support in their shoes, why not in their skates). I always see a huge difference in those cases. In a lot of cases, I stop hearing their skate hurt, just that is a big win with kids if you want them to love the sport.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Sorry just saw this. I recently bought the Carbon Superfeet from my LHS. Got them machine fitted (one of those machines that measures your foot to a T) and then baked them and it made a huge difference like I said.

You shouldn’t bake superfeet.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Insoles are just like anything else. For some, they can help with a lot of different issues. For others, they may not help at all and may even hinder.

When I got my current skates, I got a pair of Superfeet Carbons. They made the skate really comfortable for the soles of my feet, and I liked how they cupped my heel.

BUT

Just recently, I've been working on things and reevaluated my set up because of some problems I was having. I realized I was on my toes a lot more than I'd like and was having trouble getting my heels down for certain things. So, I went from my +1 pitch to a neutral one. It was better, but something still wasn't quite right, so I went to a negative pitch. That's when I realized it was the Superfeet. The Superfeet raised my heels and pitched me forward too much and made it tougher to get the middle of my skate blade on the ice for crossovers and other things.

So as an experiment, I went back to my stock insoles, which I've probably used once. Yeah, it wasn't as comfortable, and they didn't cup my heels as nice, but suddenly I wasn't having trouble getting onto my glide edge and I wasn't on my toes too much. I also noticed that the thinner inslole let me feel my edges way better, and how they were contacting the ice. With Superfeet the feel was all muted, comfortable as heck, but muted.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Insoles are just like anything else. For some, they can help with a lot of different issues. For others, they may not help at all and may even hinder.

When I got my current skates, I got a pair of Superfeet Carbons. They made the skate really comfortable for the soles of my feet, and I liked how they cupped my heel.

BUT

Just recently, I've been working on things and reevaluated my set up because of some problems I was having. I realized I was on my toes a lot more than I'd like and was having trouble getting my heels down for certain things. So, I went from my +1 pitch to a neutral one. It was better, but something still wasn't quite right, so I went to a negative pitch. That's when I realized it was the Superfeet. The Superfeet raised my heels and pitched me forward too much and made it tougher to get the middle of my skate blade on the ice for crossovers and other things.

So as an experiment, I went back to my stock insoles, which I've probably used once. Yeah, it wasn't as comfortable, and they didn't cup my heels as nice, but suddenly I wasn't having trouble getting onto my glide edge and I wasn't on my toes too much. I also noticed that the thinner inslole let me feel my edges way better, and how they were contacting the ice. With Superfeet the feel was all muted, comfortable as heck, but muted.

Spot on.

They may work great for some, not so great for others, some it may actually be a downgrade.

I used the Superfeet Carbon in my left skate only. Didn't like in on my right, just use the stock insoles.

Nice thing about the Superfeet is the guaranteed money back within 60 days if your not satisfied.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I use Dr Scholls inserts in my shoes, but I never thought of using them in my skates.
Are these Superfeet things different than ones made for shoes? or can I just stick one for shoes in there?

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
I use Dr Scholls inserts in my shoes, but I never thought of using them in my skates.
Are these Superfeet things different than ones made for shoes? or can I just stick one for shoes in there?

Apples and oranges.

Dr Scholls are "jelly/squish"

Superfeet (or similar) are structure. The hard plastic piece is the most important part to fit to both the arch length, and the heel width. From there, you trim the soft foam cover to fit the shoe or skate or whatever have you.

There are various styles of superfeet, colour coded for application. Green (high arch/volume - footwear), blue (low arch/volume - footwear), Grey (Black now?) for skates, Orange (higher cushion cover for active footwear), Purple (womens specific), I think there is even a line for dress shoes (black also?). The skate model is similar to the blue, with extra posting and dimensions made for skates - you could fit a green or blue in there, but it will not fit or work the same.

Without getting into all of the nuts and bolts, in skates, ski boots and footwear - structure beats squish hands down. Structure helps align the skeletal system (efficiency and power increases), reduces bony protrusions (less pressure points), increases heel lock, and actually couples the fatty pad beneath your foot (otherwise this is pushed aside, this is how a stiff footbed actually adds cushioning).

If I could have 2 wishes, the first would be for all the children of the world to hold hands and sing songs of peace, the second would be for everyone to throw jello footbeds into the trash and get fitted with something that actually adds performance and increases comfort. I am far removed from sporting goods, but highly recommend anything which is semi corrective (see: supportive) in nature for 95% of the population. If you have known foot (or alignment issues), you probably have corrective/custom orthotics. If you do not, then a product such as Superfeet for example, will likely make everything better for your feet. They MUST be fit to your foot, and your feet will need 2-3 weeks to adjust to the support, especially the muscles in your arches. This is an oft overlooked aspect of break in, your body isn't used to having anything there and has been compensating for your whole life.

The kicker - ideally you use them in all types of footwear, and not just a skate or ski boot (see, everyday footwear). I am fortunate enough to have received many pairs during my time in the industry, many of which are still in use today (from 10 years ago).

The initial expense is worth it, especially if you have overly flexible (low arch), or overly rigid (high arches). Average feet take the shortest amount of break in time IMO, low arches tend to get the burning sensation under foot at first.

Full disclosure: I am 10 years removed from the sporting goods industry, I have received many pairs over the years, I am certainly an advocate but am not paid or endorsed to comment as above. Honestly they work for me, and countless clients over the years with fitting issues. Now, if anyone from SF happens across this, PM me and we can talk about where to ship a case of size "F's, and possibly catch up lol :)

Last edited:

Richardash

Sep 21, 2021
Got back into skating recently and wanted to get insoles since I was feeling the impact when practicing. Things have felt better ever since I got these Shred soles. Note that I’m not doing high impact. Just practicing Ollie’s and shuv it’s, but I feel it in my feet, knees and lower back. These insoles have helped with the feeling so I definitely recommend them for the older skaters. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->