Insider's 3 round mock, with commentary

insider

Nov 14, 2003
I've been studying this year's class for a while now, and this is what I've come up with. Feel free to blast or to cheer on anything!

Note : The Philadelphia Flyers trade their 1st to NJD for their 1st and 3rd.
ATL deals 1st to MTL for 1st and 2nd.

1. STL - Erik Johnson Either Staal or Johnson, but the Blues can’t pass on this gem.
2. PIT – Phil Kessel Pittsburgh’s main concern is staying in Pittsburgh, so they can’t resist the spectacle that would be Kessel, Crosby and Malkin on one team.
3. CHI – Jonathan Teows They’ve made it obvious that he won’t be there after they pick.
4. WSH – Derick Brassard They need a passer for AO and Fehr. Brassard was dominant in the Q and they believe he has all the right tools.
5. BOS – Niklas Backstrom BPA for the Bruins, who need offense, and need it soon.
6. CLB – Peter Mueller They’ve got their future 1st line done, now they start working from there with an energy center who can fill the net.
7. NYI – Kyle Okposo With Nilsson and Bergenhiem, they need a power forward. Okposo’s their man.
8. PHO – Jordan Staal For Staal, it’s either 1,2 or 8. All the other teams have a slight preference so PHO gladly takes him.
9. MIN – Nigel Williams Minnesota’s not afraid to take a risk on this dman with the most upside in the draft.
10. FLA – Jiri Tlusty Czech mates for Florida. They match him with Olesz, and you have one of the best future second lines.
11. LAK – Bobby Sanguinetti After dealing Grebeshkov, LA reloads on the offensive dman with this Owen Sound gem.
12. MTL – Brian Little Habs move up to snag him from rival Leafs. Offensive dynamo will match well with Kotsi and Perez, leaving an awesome second line of Latendresse, Chipchura and Plekanec… for now.
13. TOR – Michael Frolik Can’t get Little so grab onto another high upside player.
14. VAN – James Sheppard Concensus pick here; Van grabs the highest Nova Scotian drafted since Sidney Crosby.
15. TBL – Riku Helenius Putting to rest all doubt of who the goalie of the future is in Tampa.
16. ATL – Mike Forney Atlanta got their guy after all, taking the enigma who could turn out to be anything.
17. MIN – Cory Emmerton Minny picked a Dman with their 1st, now they take an offensive forward.
18. COL – Michael Grabner Colorado does the same as in 2004, picking a sniper who might turn out to be a steal.
19. ANA – David Fischer Anahiem likes this defenseman’s smarts and the way he does everything right. Part of building a great future defensive core with Beauchemin, Smid, Mikkleson.
20. SJ – Ty Wishart This falling defenseman puts to rest the streak of taking an offensive surprise. They like his defensive ability.
21. NYR – Alex Vasyunov With the Russian Agreement signed, not as much risk is involved in selecting this Russian who has been compared to … Ilya Kovalchuk?
22. NJ – Chris Summers They’ve done this before. New Jersey has a knack for identifying a player they want and trading up to get them. A third rounder is well worth this versatile defenseman.
23. WSH – Jonathan Bernier Now that they have a future 1st line set, they now select their future starter. Stay tuned for defense.
24. BUF – Claude Giroux Buffalo is very pleased he got by the Habs pick and select this dynamic forward who scores in bundles from the Q.
25. PHI – Brian Strait A Clarke Dman, but he can score as well as having a mean streak. That means hits, and lots of ‘em!
26. CGY – Ryan White Sutter goes with the local boy. White is a gritty player, heart and soul.
27. DAL – Mark Mitera Another strapping Dman to add to the Dallas blueline.
28. OTT – Artem Anisimov Another who benefits from the Agreement, Ottawa is blessed to find a player who may turn into a true steal.
29. DET – Patrick Berglund Eventual replacement for Holmstrom maybe? Detroit is shocked to find him in their lap and gladly takes this Swedish Giant.
30. STL – Vladimir Zharkov After adding Johnson on the blueline, they add pzazz up front with an exiting Russian.
ROUND TWO
31. STL – Tomas Marcinko Slovak adds even more to the Blues’ core of forwards. Another possible steal.
32. PIT – Joey Ryan After adding Kessel to Crosby and Malkin, Pittsburgh adds a safe pick; reliable defensive defenseman Joey Ryan.
33. CHI – Chris Stewart The Chicago Crew are puzzled and ask themselves how he fell so far.
34. WSH – Ivan Vishnevsky Offensive Dman from the Q gets the Caps started with their plea for defense.
35. WSH – Ben Shutron Very similar to Vishnevky. This pretty much guarantees them at least one offensive defenseman at the NHL level.
36. CBJ – Yuri Alexandrov McLean trusts this Russian defenseman to come over in a year or two and make an immediate impact.
37. BOS – François Bouchard Boston heads to the Q in the second round looking for a steal. 2003 anyone?
38. ANA – Nick Foligno A gritty player to add to all the skill they have up front.
39. PHI – Cal Clutterbuck Custom made Philly player.
40. MIN – Kevin Montgomery Safe choice after taking a risk with Williams. Defensive Dman.
41. PHO – Ondrej Fiala Fastest player in the draft taken by Phoenix, who seem to be building an intriguing mix of speed and size (Lisin, Wheeler; Fiala, Hanzal)
42. PHI – John Armstrong Intriguing prospect brings a future power forward to this organization.
43. ATL – Keith Seabrooke Brent’s brother had an amazing season in BC, gives Atlanta some more offense on D, to complement the Defensive ones they already have.
44. TOR – Jan-Mikael Juutilainen Finnish player adds more depth to Toronto’s front lines.
45. BUF – Dennis Persson They want to make sure they have more NHL D coming soon. He’s as close to a sure thing at this point.
46. EDM – Bobby Hughes Reminds me of Ethan Moreau, who is exactly what Edmonton wants from their prospects.
47. BUF – Tony Lagerstrom Buffalo takes a flyer on this prospect who’se stock has been falling for no apparent reason.
48. LAK – Tomas Kana More dynamics added to the forward corpse that already includes Frolov, Tukonen and Kopitar. Slovenia, Finland, Russia. Czech Republic? Check!
49. PHO – Oskar Osala Another huge player for Phoenix. They have a knack of picking those up.
50. ATL – Brady Calla Atlanta saves Calla from taking a terrible fall. Not a bad choice for someone added in to move down 4 picks.
51. BOS – Simon Danis-Pepin Plays University in New England so the Bruins have seen his fast development. Their up for a project.
52. COL – John De Gray Safe defensive defenseman pick, nothing flahsy.
53. WSH – Mike Weber Two offensive defensemen, now time for a defensive defenseman to take over.
54. SJS – Constantin Braun We all know San Jose loves Germans. But who wouldn’t love the passion this kid brings to driving the net?
55. NYR – Jamie McGinn Quite possibly the steal of the draft at this point. They couldn’t get Grabner, so this pick more than makes up for it.
56. PHI – Reto Berra Swiss goaltender impressed everyone, including Philly brass at the WJC’s with a dominant performance.
57. NSH – Blake Geoffrion Their only chance to draft a local boy, and what a player we might be.
58. BUF – David Ruzicka Intriguing defenseman. Buffalo can afford to take a risk/reward player like him at this point.
59. NJD – Leland Irving Weak draft for goalies, after so many have developed in the past few years. Lou jumps at Irving, possibly Brodeur’s replacement.
60. CGY – Tyler Dowzak Dubya’s defensive defensive defenseman caught Sutter’s eye with his strengh in front of the net.
61. CAR – Ryan Hillier Great guy, but also a decent player. Poised to break out with Halifax next year.
62. NYI – Robert Nyholm Another strong winger to complement Nilsson, O’Marra and Bergenhiem. Finnish version of a power forward.
63. CHI – Eric Gryba Mobile defensemen who does everything well. Chicago’s brigade is already set, but he might just make it big.
64. DET – Jonas Junland Gambles from Sweden usually work out for Detroit. Why not this time?
ROUND 3
65. STL – Bryce Swan STL takes a chance on a player who’se freak accidents have had him out a good part of the year. Should break out next year with Hillier and Voracek (2007).
66. PIT – Jesse Joensuu If, during the 2005 WJC’s, someone would have told Penguin fans that they’d have Kessel, Joensuu and Crosby, they’d have flipped. This is their chance.
67. PHI – Matt Corrente Complete player with a huge shot is the next pick for the Flyers who have hade many picks this draft.
68. PHI – Mathieu Carle They then take a chance on this amazing offensive defenseman, hoping he motivates himself and starts working harder.
69. BOS – Mike Ratchuk Another American defenseman. How many will we see?
70. CBJ – Matt Beleskey Power forward exactly what CLB wants.
71. NYI – Trevor Lewis They have Okposo, so why not pick up his USHL linemate?
72. NYI – Semen Varlamov Russian goalie has amazing stats. Will they translate?
73. MIN – Ryan Flynn
74. FLA – Carl Sneep Steal at this point, Florida is delighted to add him to their stock of young versatile players.
75. LAK – Andreas Nodl Add in another offensive force from another European country. Sniper, along the lines of a Vanek.
76. ATL – Stefan Chaput They saw enough of him while scouting Chad Denny to tell that he’s a keeper. Does everything, and I mean everything.
77. TOR – Robin Fingren JFJ is going for the Euros, but is making great selections here.
78. STL – Nikolai Kulemin Arguably the most NHL ready player, he impressed at the WJC’s… a bit like the Blues’ Nikolai Lemtyugov.
79. TB – Sergei Shirokov Boy were they hoping for Kulemin. Oh well, another overager who impressed at the WJC’s.
80. MTL – Brad Marchant Smallish forward from Val D’Or who impressed at the Mem Cup. Big Riser; great pick.
81. EDM – Jhonas Enroth What, we need goalie prospects… This Swede might turn out to be the next Lundqvist.
82. COL – Jhonas Ahlenov This Defenseman slipped, but Colorado picks him up with their 3rd.
83. VAN – Mathieu Perreault Small, but reminds me a lot of Daniel Briere. Slick forward will fit well in Van City.
84. ANA – David Lidstrom No relation, but my pick for best Swedish defenseman in this draft.
85. NYR – Derrick LaPointe Either you like him or you don’t. New York does.
86. SJS – Michal Neuwirth A great talent of San Jose’s has been uncovering hidden gems in net. Another possibility with this Czech.
87. LAK – Marcel Muller German is considered the best German in this year’s draft by many.
88. CGY – Ryan Turek Meat and potatoes player, another Sutter prototype.
89. NYI – Jamie McBain Yet ANOTHER US defenseman. Had a great U-18.
90. CGY – Luke Lynes Projects to be a solid pro. Calgary fans will love him.
91. CAR – Andrei Popov Pure offense, no defense. Great skill though.
92. DAL – Niko Hoivonen Finnish giant in nets. 6’7 and uses it to his advantage.
93. OTT – Kirill Tulupov Seems most Ottawa fans want him, so why not?
94. DET – Niclas Andersen Another Swedish gem discovered by the Detroit system. Watch and learn, other teams!

Last edited:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Good mock with the surprise element, good Habs trade and a good pick with Little.

Although Mr Higgins would definitely have something to say about not being put on those future top 2 lines. ;)

And you forgot the Habs 3rd round pick...

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'd be content with Joensuu in the second. If we nabbed him in the third I'd be thrilled.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Marc the Habs Fan said:
Good mock with the surprise element, good Habs trade and a good pick with Little.

Although Mr Higgins would definitely have something to say about not being put on those future top 2 lines. ;)

And you forgot the Habs 3rd round pick...

knew I was missing someone (Higgins)

The 3rd round pick was traded to get Little as well...

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
Although I don't see Fiala falling to 41rst..
I think this a very well done Mock!

It's nice to see guys like Brassard jumping 4 spots ahead of Staal when there's a justification for it.

One of the more realistic mocks I've seen
:clap:

I read in a magazine that there was a canadian scout very high on Fiala. If he's still around for the Senators, I can imagine them taking him in the first round or maybe one of the other Canadian teams.

Safir*

insider said:
ATL deals 1st to MTL for 1st and 2nd.

16. ATL – Mike Forney Atlanta got their guy after all, taking the enigma who could turn out to be anything.

43. ATL – Keith Seabrooke Brent’s brother had an amazing season in BC, gives Atlanta some more offense on D, to complement the Defensive ones they already have.

50. ATL – Brady Calla Atlanta saves Calla from taking a terrible fall. Not a bad choice for someone added in to move down 4 picks.

76. ATL – Stefan Chaput They saw enough of him while scouting Chad Denny to tell that he’s a keeper. Does everything, and I mean everything.
Great effort insider. :handclap:
You are right Atlanta could be forced to trade down, if they don't like Bryan Little or if they do like him, but he's gone.

1st round:
Some people question Forney's hockey desire and I'm not really in favor of picking him in the first (would have no prob to pick him in the second.) I'd Waddell to trade down even further or to pick Berglund or Anisimov at 16. If the team is willing to take a risk they might pick Vasyunov. Two "Kovalchuks" on the same team wouldn't to shabby. :devdance:

2nd round:
You start drafting for needs in the second. Behind Seabrooke you have a few of my favorites going to other teams. I would be fine with Juutilainen, Kana, Calla or Burki (in that order).

Getting Calla would be okayed by me. :)

3rd round:
Never heard of Chaput before. I'd that pick to be used on Felix Schütz.

--> Overall you did a decent job with the Thrashers draft picks.

Default101

i'd attempt backflips if Joensuu falls to pittsburgh in the 3rd round :), where do you see Harrison Reed going? good height, skill, his shooting accuracy is great, his speed is one of the best for his age, 2nd in Rookie goals tied with Kositisyn while playing for the worst team int he league and their best playmaker injured for the last 2 months of the season his only real problems in his game is his defence and his strength. all in all an awesome job on the mock draft.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Rocket_9forever said:
2nd and 3rd round pick to move up 4 spots...pretty expansive...

Oh sorry about that I misread my list... it's just the second. MTL's third is Brad Marchand, I misread my list and put Minnesota instead.

I have terrible handwriting, please forgive me :sarcasm:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Very good mock draft :handclap: Great insight and reasoning behind each pick, especially the fallers and reaches. A good read even though as an Oilers fan, I think we only have 1 pick in the first 3 rounds.

KH1

insider said:
7. NYI – Kyle Okposo With Nilsson and Bergenhiem, they need a power forward. Okposo’s their man.
62. NYI – Robert Nyholm Another strong winger to complement Nilsson, O’Marra and Bergenhiem. Finnish version of a power forward.
71. NYI – Trevor Lewis They have Okposo, so why not pick up his USHL linemate?
72. NYI – Semen Varlamov Russian goalie has amazing stats. Will they translate?
89. NYI – Jamie McBain Yet ANOTHER US defenseman. Had a great U-18.

I love this mock for the Isles. It addresses their needs (including the often forgotten goalie prospect) and, intentionally or unintentionally, takes into account all of Feltrin's drafting tendencies (European players and hard working 2 way types.)

:handclap: Bravo!

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Good mock,
At this point and for personal reason and on pure preferance i rather see the habs move up to draft Sheppard, Brassard or Okposo.

Sheppard is the player I really want the Habs to draft, he'd be the perfect fit, and for the ones who say that montreal ''need'' to draft defensemen ie: Wishart or Williams, well i don't agree, like a lot of people I'm in the ''BPA religion'', team needs can always be fillup by UFA or Trades. That's being said I agree that at 16th Wlliams or Wishart could be the BPA.
I rather see the habs trade some assets like Abiesher, Zednik, Ribeiro ( the oubvious one ) to move up a little bit than trade 1rst 2nd 3rd and 4th round pick, we had a lot of graduated prospects like Komisarek, Higgins, Murray, Plecanek, Perezhogin and soon to be Danis and A.Kostitsyn, I think we have to draft some youngs player to be again a top5 team in term of prospects.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
King Henry I said:
I love this mock for the Isles. It addresses their needs (including the often forgotten goalie prospect) and, intentionally or unintentionally, takes into account all of Feltrin's drafting tendencies (European players and hard working 2 way types.)

:handclap: Bravo!
I'd be very happy this happened for the Isles too. But I have to say, if Staal's there and we pass him, I will smash things.

Other than that, there are some preference things - like I would prefer both Swan and Joenssu over Nyholm, and would probably prefer Sneep over Lewis/Varlamov, though I'm high on those two also -- but overall, I'd be pretty pleased if that's what we closed out the first three rounds with.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
One of the worst mocks I've seen for the Wild. Williams that high? Emmerton? I think Berglund and Tlusty would be great picks for the Wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->