News Article: Inside the Maple Leafs’ secret jam band

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Thought this was pretty cool in the Athletic:
Inside the Maple Leafs' secret jam band

Andreas Johnsson walked into Travis Dermott’s apartment with a goal. He had learned a song on his acoustic guitar last year and had been repeatedly playing it. Now, in the company of his Maple Leafs teammates, he wanted to bring that song to life.
“OK, play it,” said Justin Holl, seated at a keyboard nearby.

Slowly, Johnsson began strumming the chords to Justin Bieber’s “Love Yourself” before his teammates could not contain their laughter any longer.
“We just thought it was hilarious that was the one song he wanted to learn,” Holl said.

That was the scene at a regular session of the Maple Leafs secret jam band, a revolving door of up to six different players who all congregate, or plan to, at Dermott’s apartment for some much needed time away from the rink.

Holl, on keyboards and vocals, and Dermott, on acoustic guitar, are the de facto band leaders and have lofty expectations for anyone who enters the apartment. Johnsson plays acoustic guitar. The unnamed band is also slowly working goaltender Garret Sparks into the mix. Sparks mixes his own music on his computer with Virtual DJ.

Now that the Leafs best player has returned from a shoulder injury, the band will begin auditioning Auston Matthews to tie the whole thing together as their drummer. Matthews recently acquired a drum set for the express purpose of joining this band.
“I can’t wait. I hope I’m good enough,” Matthews said.
Matthews was impressed when Holl performed his rendition of The Weeknd’s “Reminder” on his mini-piano on a recent road trip.
“It’s actually really good,” said Matthews, raising his eyelids in approval. “I didn’t know he was that far advanced.”

Reactions: bikemike66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->