Post-Game Talk: Insert Thread Entitled Here

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Zero killer instinct. They had the Sharks on their heels but then Nurse took that penalty which although they killed off, gave San Jose life.

Tippett really should have yanked Koskinen after doing his best scarecrow impersonation on the fourth goal. That was some bantam level goaltending right there.
Completely agreed.

Reactions: McFuhryous

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
upload_2020-2-7_15-45-22.jpeg

we don’t play tonight!! Can’t lose if you don’t play!

Reactions: brentashton

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You have no idea what leadership is and it's very clear lots of people have you on ignore.

Stop pretending you have any knowledge of what it is like to lead people, you clearly don't understand it. McDavid and Draisaitl are in their early 20s and need to learn what it takes to win, it's not like they've been surrounded by talent their whole careers and haven't been asked to be the offence for the team.

I didn't learn real leadership until I was in my 30s. So they still have tons to learn.

Put real talent on this team, players who should be in the NHL and not AHL call ups playing over their heads and you would probably see a different McDavid and a different Draisaitl.
Please.... real talent like the AHL call ups the Sharks had in the line up yesterday minus their two best players and they still dominated the Oil?....

You can choose to be blind to it or have your lower standards but enough is enough if you want to take a step to be a playoff team and Tippett likely agrees. He blew up at the group today in practice because of lack of effort and execution. These are cultural and leadership things (having high standards game in game out, practice in practice out). Clearly the leaders are not leading by example to lead the group to better efforts in games and practices and Tips has to step in.

They're young but they chose to accept the "C" and "A" and you'd better d*** well have a steep learning curve and at least SHOW you are wanting to move towards leading well on the ice. I've seen these lazy, cheating, lack of responsible play from Connor and Drai too often for at least a year or two now for stretches. It's frustrating to see them float, cheat and put in low effort and let others do the hard work and grind when they just look to cheat to open ice and try to obtain easy opportunities (great for racking up individual points but sh**y for team points). They need to get into the trenches more. It really makes it harder to hold plugs like Khaira etc accountable when they put in bleh efforts when your best players are doing the same.

It's time to stop this whine fest bs for Connor and Leon not having players to play with. Be a leader, play with the cards you're dealt for now and make the best of it. Put in the effort game in game out and develop the high standards for when more talent comes in down the line. Not having the ideal wingers on your line doesn't mean you go and give a lesser effort and play the wrong way. The Oilers room needs to have a higher standard as far as effort and execution. We as fans should also have those standards. I'm fine if they would have lost these two games playing with effort, urgency and mental sharpness. I'm not ok with how they actually lost.

Reactions: SourOil

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Then lets start banging the "Matthews will demand a trade out of Toronto if they miss the playoffs" drum.
I mean, he DID only sign for 5 seasons....

Yep, and I do think the 5 year deal is a strong indicator that he is not at all sold on being a Leaf forever.

Reactions: TB12

Dakinjor

Nov 13, 2014
I personally feel tippet should keep haas on his own. line a lineup of
nygard mcd Kass
Nuge drai Yams
Gags haas Neal
Archi sheahan benson

sounds interesting to me .

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Then lets start banging the "Matthews will demand a trade out of Toronto if they miss the playoffs" drum.
I mean, he DID only sign for 5 seasons....

I think Mathews and both the Tkachuk boys will not be playing for Canadian teams for too long.

Reactions: TB12

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Please.... real talent like the AHL call ups the Sharks had in the line up yesterday minus their two best players and they still dominated the Oil?....

You can choose to be blind to it or have your lower standards but enough is enough if you want to take a step to be a playoff team and Tippett likely agrees. He blew up at the group today in practice because of lack of effort and execution. These are cultural and leadership things (having high standards game in game out, practice in practice out). Clearly the leaders are not leading by example to lead the group to better efforts in games and practices and Tips has to step in.

They're young but they chose to accept the "C" and "A" and you'd better d*** well have a steep learning curve and at least SHOW you are wanting to move towards leading well on the ice. I've seen these lazy, cheating, lack of responsible play from Connor and Drai too often for at least a year or two now for stretches. It's frustrating to see them float, cheat and put in low effort and let others do the hard work and grind when they just look to cheat to open ice and try to obtain easy opportunities (great for racking up individual points but sh**y for team points). They need to get into the trenches more. It really makes it harder to hold plugs like Khaira etc accountable when they put in bleh efforts when your best players are doing the same.

It's time to stop this whine fest bs for Connor and Leon not having players to play with. Be a leader, play with the cards you're dealt for now and make the best of it. Put in the effort game in game out and develop the high standards for when more talent comes in down the line. Not having the ideal wingers on your line doesn't mean you go and give a lesser effort and play the wrong way. The Oilers room needs to have a higher standard as far as effort and execution. We as fans should also have those standards. I'm fine if they would have lost these two games playing with effort, urgency and mental sharpness. I'm not ok with how they actually lost.

I really, really hope you don't have people that work for you. It would take me forever before I ever blamed by troops for them not being able to accomplish a task I set for them. I'm the one in charge, it's my job to set them up for success, if they fail, the onus is on me. Either I didn't supervise them, or I didn't provide the right tools to enable them.

McDavid and Draisaitl are being asked to do the equivalent of changing a tire with an adjustable wrench from a kids plastic tool set.

I'll continue to blame management until they have an actual NHL team here. If that happens and they're both still cheating and not back checking hard, then, and only then, will I start blaming them.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I really, really hope you don't have people that work for you. It would take me forever before I ever blamed by troops for them not being able to accomplish a task I set for them. I'm the one in charge, it's my job to set them up for success, if they fail, the onus is on me. Either I didn't supervise them, or I didn't provide the right tools to enable them.

McDavid and Draisaitl are being asked to do the equivalent of changing a tire with an adjustable wrench from a kids plastic tool set.

I'll continue to blame management until they have an actual NHL team here. If that happens and they're both still cheating and not back checking hard, then, and only then, will I start blaming them.

That's your prerogative. I choose to hold them to a higher standards. They've long enough and had way too many times where they said "we have to learn from these mistakes" over and over and over again with the same issues. At some point in time you HAVE to make real, consistent and tangible improvements. They're young but they've been in the league long enough and played a lot of games already. These aren't 23 or 24 year olds that have only played 100-200 games.

I'm just not sure how you can excuse the Captain and the assistant captain and Leaders of the team from cheating and and not playing hard and doing the right things on the ice. It's insane! They set the table and culture for the team on the ice. You can never have this and have consistent success. Your team will always be a losing team if these are your standards. I can guarantee you 31 out of 31 coaching staff would agree with me about this. What coach would excuse any player from playing the right way because "wah wah the roster isn't perfectly ideal"? Too much of a millennial mindset. Suck it up! Work hard, lead by example. So sick of the complete over-exaggeration of the roster situation to give them excuse to not work hard.

Here's a decent article and in the video around the 9 min mark they lambaste Connor for the 3rd and 4th goals vs the Sharks (and these guys were fairly big Connor/Leon apologists). Zero effort on the backcheck and fly by on the rebound on the third goal. In the right spot for the 4th but did f*** all standing there allowing an easy goal for the Sharks AHL player. You think it's ok for Tyler Benson to play his first NHL game and watch his captain play the wrong way for most of the game? Doing the wrong things when the game is still tied 2-2? An important game in a playoff race and THAT'S the effort you get? They're setting the standard for these up and coming players.... it's perpetual cr** standards that gets passed down over and over again.
"I'm going all in": Edmonton Oilers will definitely make playoffs, says ex-NHLer

Some quotes too:
"But McDavid was also the main culprit on the third and fourth San Jose goals, getting caught out on an odd-man rush then flying-by the slot on the third goal, and failing to cover his man in the slot on the fourth."
"In the last two seasons, no NHL forward has been on the ice for more even strength goals for than McDavid, 157, but no forward has been on the ice for more goals against, 152."
"If we express this same stat as a rate, McDavid has been on the ice for the seventh highest rate of goals against at even strength for any NHL forward in 2018-20. That is seventh highest out of 398 regular NHL forwards. Draisaitl ranks sixth out of 398."
"When it comes to being on the ice for high danger scoring chances against, Draisaitl ranks 22 highest out of 398, McDavid 23 out of 398, reports Natural Stat Trick."

Last edited:

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
Ah, here we go again. Just demand they be traded and get it over with. If they're actually the willfully lazy, deliberately selfish players you constantly accuse them of, there is no reason to ever keep them on the team. So let's trade Connor and Leon since we've established that it's not that they're bad or inconsistent defensively, it's that they consciously choose to screw the team over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad