Post-Game Talk: Insert Thread Entitled Here

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
He doesn’t appear to have NHL acceleration and pace. One game like you said.

I’d like to see Bear on the top PP but it’s been pretty effective so I won’t die on that hill. I like the idea of Yamo on the first unit over Chaisson but then they are using Chaisson as net front and not sure Yamo would be effective there. The guy he’d replace would be RNH imo but he’s been working as well. PP like I said I’m not too worried about tho.

The reason it’s Klef, and not any of the better offensive D we’ve had, is he’s super predictable, he doesn’t really move around, he just sits on the wall or in the middle when they need him, he doesn’t do anything on the PP except retrieve the puck and give it to Mcdavid or Leon, or facilitate a pass between the 2. That’s why they like having him there, I’m pretty sure it’s been reported that’s it’s those 2 who specifically ask that Klefbom not be moved off the top unit because he’s predictable and they obviously run the PP unlike teams that use a D as a QB.

As for the game, meh, we’re going to have ups and downs this season, last week was a big up, getting 5 of 6 points and stomping your provincial rival. Just can’t let this turn into a slide, luckily/unfortunately the Pacific has also struggled the last couple games and we could have started to get ahead a bit, but also we didn’t lose much ground.

Reactions: Aerchon

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I really like Haas too. Guy is a an even playing with the most junk on the roster. Hes a great skater, I rarely see the guy make much for mistakes. Hes weak on the boards but thats about it. I dont know why he doesnt get more of an opportunity. I think he would be a pretty good PK'er too.
Also agree on Haas, good looking player.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Both got beat clean missing their assignment in the d zone that lead to a goal against last night. Primary people responsible for the goal against in those. Just one of many for both McDrai through the year.

McDavid especially Has an aversion to pressuring the puck carrier below the goal line. Both fly the zone a ton and get beat by opponents driving to the net. Both being such good skaters I find it very unsettling their lack of commitment for back checking and defense. Especially now that they are THE centers for their line.

Yup, incredibly frustrating when your "leaders" don't lead by example. There is no doubt that leadership and culture (which partly comes from leadership) is one of the greatest weakness of the team and why we are so inconsistent. It's all pretty good when the leaders want to do the right things and work hard and lead by example and the team come together and buy in. And you can see how bad it gets when guys just want to cheat or take the easy route.

There's no way JJ Khaira should still be in the line up on any half decent team with the putrid efforts he puts out but it's so hard to lambaste him when your top two guys are putting out similar efforts (yes the top two guys still score but it's a terrible standard to set as far as effort level and doing the right things ALL over the ice).

This is a leadership issue and a issue regarding standards and level of play and consistency (which is part of culture). Good teams have extremely high standards and do not have much patience for such lackadaisical play win or lose. This team however keeps going back to it's lazy and complacent ways.

There are long stretches when it looks like Connor and Drai are playing for themselves (playing to pad their stats and win the Art Ross etc). They float around trying to disappear into and cheat into open ice so they can get a jump on offence the easy way instead of helping grind the puck out/back with their linemates. They're sometimes in proper defensive position for show and not really exerting proper effort to actually DEFEND when in that proper position. They need to wake up. Drai's had some good play in Jan when he put on the work boots but is sliding back to bad habits. Connor's been not good for a good while now despite points.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Yup, incredibly frustrating when your "leaders" don't lead by example. There is no doubt that leadership and culture (which partly comes from leadership) is one of the greatest weakness of the team and why we are so inconsistent. It's all pretty good when the leaders want to do the right things and work hard and lead by example and the team come together and buy in. And you can see how bad it gets when guys just want to cheat or take the easy route.

There's no way JJ Khaira should still be in the line up on any half decent team with the putrid efforts he puts out but it's so hard to lambaste him when your top two guys are putting out similar efforts (yes the top two guys still score but it's a terrible standard to set as far as effort level and doing the right things ALL over the ice).

This is a leadership issue and a issue regarding standards and level of play and consistency (which is part of culture). Good teams have extremely high standards and do not have much patience for such lackadaisical play win or lose. This team however keeps going back to it's lazy and complacent ways.

There are long stretches when it looks like Connor and Drai are playing for themselves (playing to pad their stats and win the Art Ross etc). They float around trying to disappear into and cheat into open ice so they can get a jump on offence the easy way instead of helping grind the puck out/back with their linemates. They're sometimes in proper defensive position for show and not really exerting proper effort to actually DEFEND when in that proper position. They need to wake up. Drai's had some good play in Jan when he put on the work boots but is sliding back to bad habits. Connor's been not good for a good while now despite points.

You have no idea what leadership is and it's very clear lots of people have you on ignore.

Stop pretending you have any knowledge of what it is like to lead people, you clearly don't understand it. McDavid and Draisaitl are in their early 20s and need to learn what it takes to win, it's not like they've been surrounded by talent their whole careers and haven't been asked to be the offence for the team.

I didn't learn real leadership until I was in my 30s. So they still have tons to learn.

Put real talent on this team, players who should be in the NHL and not AHL call ups playing over their heads and you would probably see a different McDavid and a different Draisaitl.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am just here to let everyone know - McDavid and Drai have nearly zero commitment in their own zone. Purely there for show, doing nothing effective.

Because any of the GA scored were their fault..

First goal Larson is asleep guarding nothing, screening his goalie, and oblivious of Meier behind him scoring the goal. Wait, could this be a trend?

2nd goal, another screened D shot. Koski doesn't see any of it because its apparently the D job to screen own goalie while looking like you have to take a steaming dump on the ice.

3rd goal. Koskiwhale throwing himself around like its last season. Overcommits to first shot, gives up bad rebound and is a km out of position..

4th Goal. Puck behind the net, Koski watching the jumbotron. Netflix is on.

Really at that point its game over because the team has just watched others be complete crap on the 4 goals and with the D and goalie responsible for all of them.

Realization settles in that you can't outscore D and G incompetence no matter how many you score.

I mean Timo Meier got a hat trick. lmfao. The Sharks have around 3 forwards in the lineup even capable of scoring a goal and they get a hatty and 6 goals.

People paid money to see this game?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Zero killer instinct. They had the Sharks on their heels but then Nurse took that penalty which although they killed off, gave San Jose life.

Tippett really should have yanked Koskinen after doing his best scarecrow impersonation on the third goal. That was some bantam level goaltending right there.

The 2-0 lead was killed by the Oilers D and G allowing 4 questionable goals and that part of the team being guilty of basically watching the play. Somebody tell me what Larsson is actually doing on the first GA. Anybody.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The 2-0 lead was killed by the Oilers D and G allowing 4 questionable goals and that part of the team being guilty of basically watching the play. Somebody tell me what Larsson is actually doing on the first GA. Anybody.
I said it at the time he was defending air. Everyone else was where they should be.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I think the first two were tipped right in front of Koskinen, it's hard to fault a guy there. But goals three and four...egad. I'd have to watch the replays again to see the D coverage on the first two. In homage to the late Kobe Bryant, the Oilers really lack that "mamba" mentality. Embarrass other teams out of the rink. Run the score up. Like I said, zero killer instinct. Maybe this is where an asshole of a guy like Getzlaf would be beneficial to them.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I said it at the time he was defending air. Everyone else was where they should be.

Yep. Larsson guilty of two things there. Completely screening his own goalie and completing losing his check. I guess he simply doesn't know Meier has snuck behind him but its his job to know that and his positioning that far from the net is odd at best on the play.

So just reviewed the goal again and this is the decision tree for Adam Larsson on the play.

Just engages with Meier, bumps him, knows he's there. Then when the shot is coming from the point he notices the Shark off to the side feigning a slap deflection from an area that would be no threat whatsoever and simply isn't happening.

Larsson gets duped by that, like a goldfish completely forgets Meier who he just met 1 sec before is right behind him. Meier, vacated, and wide open of course tips puck home. Larsson skates back to bench and an attendant checks to see if he has a valid game ticket.

I mean this is so colossally stupid its got to be depressing for the rest of the club to realize that Klefbom and Larsson are our top pair and that a team is going absolutely nowhere with that being the status quo.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think the first two were tipped right in front of Koskinen, it's hard to fault a guy there. But goals three and four...egad. I'd have to watch the replays again to see the D coverage on the first two. In homage to the late Kobe Bryant, the Oilers really lack that "mamba" mentality. Embarrass other teams out of the rink. Run the score up. Like I said, zero killer instinct. Maybe this is where an ******* of a guy like Getzlaf would be beneficial to them.
The team is almost too nice against teams they don't hate, I think it falls in line with what McDavid said, even though Tippett didn't agree.

This team plays phenomenal hockey when they are emotionally engaged.

Playing against the Stanley Cup champs, wanting to prove they can keep up. Playing against a bitter rival who have taken 3 games in the series. When this team seems to have a big emotional investment they can play amazing. Sadly they don't seem to be able to have that investment, especially against the lower teams, which is why we have what, a under 0.500 record against them?

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Went from work ethic 60 to 0 in 6 minutes. Troubling game to watch, seeing us thinking we had the game wrapped up in the first 6 minutes and getting outcompeted for the next 54 minutes.

The player I was intently watching at the game was Benson. Does not look like he has NHL wheels so hopefully it was nerves and a team around him that was not very good.
Could've been nerves or maybe lack of ice time, but that was my thought as well. Seemed to skate and play at a slower pace.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
unacceptable loss last night.
we desperately need depth in our forward group.
sam gagner or khaira should not be in the lineup
Gagner struggled bigtime last night. That being said, he's been an OK depth player this year. More often than not, I like his energy and his "do anything" attitude.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Every time you think this team is either good or bad they prove the opposite.

I remember watching that win against San Jose in November. I wasn't sold from my viewings of the team (which admittedly were limited) before that. They had a good record but I didn't think I was watching a good team. Then they played that game in November and I was wow'd.. really strong game and I thought maybe there's something there. They went into the tank shortly after.

At Christmas I thought this is just a mediocre to bad team. Then after Christmas they play some pretty damn good hockey. the pinnacle being the game against Calgary. So I change my mind again and think. Jeez they can compete with any team in the league and win most nights that's pretty good.

Now the Arizona game whatever I understand. last nights game has me wondering though. That was an ass kicking by a team that's missing it's best two forwards.
I'm hoping it's a two game hangover and it's really dissapointing to see them piss away all those good things they did in the past 3 games.

I basically don't know what's to come. Apathetic December Oilers or just a minor blip and we see the same team from Januray.

I will say this team is extremely.. and I mean extremely immature. They have no attention span and move on when uninterested in their opponent.

Play a game against a sleepy team where you're favored on paper... half the team dials it down and loses focus.

Play a game against a strong opponent .. they get up for it and play focus'd and intense.

It just feels like they don't just lose to weaker teams.. they get their asses handed to them.

Hopefully the book on the Oilers doesn't get out and we make the playoffs. I think they'll be able to play with any team that actually catches their interest.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't really 'get' Lagesson. I don't see a single reason why he should be in the lineup over Jones. His skating is weak and his average at best passing is not a good trait to have when you're playing alongside Benning.

People seem to be infatuated with the shiny young player that has been getting hyped up, but I really don't see much more potential from him beyond a platoon 6/7 D man. His skating is what it is at this point, and it's not good enough for the NHL.

We’ve seen him in what, 3 NHL games?

I’m reserving judgment until we have something resembling a sample size.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Our PP is pretty damn good, not the hill I would die on either, Bear in though to give us a RHD shooting threat from the point? I would love that, but again not too worried. Yamo, from what I can tell is good everywhere, only problem is goalies can see over him a tad too easy. Neal is the perfect guy there IMO.

Yea we miss Neal on the Pp and even with McDavid. I think McDavid likes playing with him and Neal is getting opportunity, he just hasn’t converted.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
What a demoralizing couple of games.
Really thought the Flames game would be something that instilled some confidence in them to go on more of a run. All the post game certainly talked about how big and unifying that game was. But then these duds.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yea we miss Neal on the Pp and even with McDavid. I think McDavid likes playing with him and Neal is getting opportunity, he just hasn’t converted.

When Neal comes back it should improve the top 6. I just hope that when we're fully healthy the players to come out of the lineup are Khaira. PRussel and one of Gagner/Chaisson.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Missing the playoffs at this point would be a disaster. I wanted the McDavid trade request talk to be left in 2019 and never return, but we all know what’s coming from Toronto if they miss this year.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Missing the playoffs at this point would be a disaster. I wanted the McDavid trade request talk to be left in 2019 and never return, but we all know what’s coming from Toronto if they miss this year.
Then lets start banging the "Matthews will demand a trade out of Toronto if they miss the playoffs" drum.
I mean, he DID only sign for 5 seasons....

Reactions: barry halls

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There is always the possibility that San Jose is good now. They were picked to win the Pacific or at least be competitive. Maybe they just haven't gelled yet and we are seeing it. On paper they should be a good team. Hockey isnt played on paper but only because chemistry trumps skill. They have the skill. If they get chemistry that skill gets unlocked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad