Inline skates thread.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Looking for recommendations on new wheels.

not having owned a pair in almost 20 years, I didn't realize the tech advanced so much that when I won a pair of Bauer Hockey style skates, the wheel compound was meant for slick surfaces and they crumbled within 10 minutes of use on asphalt.

What is a good size? Brand? Etc....for recreational asphalt skating. Something with a little grip but will stand up to that surface. I plan on not using a heal stop either, so I need them to be able to corner well to slow down using "S" & "U" motions. This is more of a fitness use than playing games senario.

Thanks.

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
I'd go for a Bauer Vapor pair, try and get the best model you can afford (top end or just a tier below). The boot is just that well made.

For wheels, look for single-density wheels like the Labedas posted above

Reactions: White Death 24

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Ok. I goofed. They were CCM Vector 04 skates. I typed my OP at work and haven't used them in 2 years since the blow out of the original wheels.

80mm back
76mm (x4) mid
72mm toe

Should I stick with that set-up for recreational road skating? With the chassis on these am I required to use a 72mm at the toe? That 72mm wheel doesn't touch the ground while the other 3 wheels are parallel.

skates by dragonhockey7, on Flickr

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Hmmm. looking at other Vectors on eBay i see the same 80-76-76-72 set-up.

Is that required with this chassis? Or can I go 80-80-76-76?

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
Doesn't look like the best boot in the world honestly, and 80-76-76-72 seems like a tedious setup to manage. First problem is you'll need to buy sets of 3 different sizes of wheels, second problem is, the 4 wheels should contact the ground when standing still. If you haven't put them on and the front wheel is in the air, that's going to be awkward when actually skating.

Back to your question, it can be required. I recall trying a different size on some skates, only to realize the wheels wouldn't spin because they would make contact with the one next to it, it basically wouldn't fit, and you could have the same problem, but you never know until you try it.

And then let's see how you can skate with a different setup. You can see the frame is made for these sizes (in the sticker under the CCM logo) so anything different presumabily isn't going to be optimal (that if you can fit them).

Just mess around and see what works, or get a new pair :help:

Or if you find the boot comfortable, you can also replace the frame with a Hi-Lo one.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Damn, no offense but that skate is fugly. Looks like a cinder block on wheels.

As for the wheel setup, no you’d need 80-76-76-72 for that chassis, if you went with the Hi-Lo setup (80-80-76-76) you’d get some wheels not touching the ground.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Yeah. They were like $30 brand new. Hard to pass up just to get back in the swing again. I'' probably just try to off load them as is local and buy something more suited to my needs.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah. They were like $30 brand new. Hard to pass up just to get back in the swing again. I'' probably just try to off load them as is local and buy something more suited to my needs.

I'm a Bauer/Mission guy. What I usually do is wait for the new line to come out, then all the skates in the old line drop in price. Same for every manufacturer. For example, Mission recently unveiled the new Inhaler FZ line of skates which superceded the Inhaler NLS line. Now every skate in the NLS line is discounted so you could get a really good price on an entry to mid level skate in that line on clearance.

I picked up a pair of NLS3's from my LHS to use for Outdoor rink by me so I don't F up my indoor skates. Got them for $200 when they cost $350 before the new line came out.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Appreciate the advice.

Trust me. Having a Lacrosse Goalie for a son, I know all about wearing out equipment fast and the advantages of buying old stock from Monkeysports, Sportstop, etc...at the end of the year. :naughty:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Damn, no offense but that skate is fugly. Looks like a cinder block on wheels.

As for the wheel setup, no you’d need 80-76-76-72 for that chassis, if you went with the Hi-Lo setup (80-80-76-76) you’d get some wheels not touching the ground.
When did J Hecht start designing rollerblades?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The CCM Logo on the Chassis says 82-76-76-72

it's an unusual set up.

I'm looking into Bauer XR300's for a cheap get-bak-into it skate. They have a 82-82-76-76 wheel pattern.

interesting. I have a set up of 4 80 mm on my tours.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Can anybody recommend some skates for going around town? Obviously the path isn't always a crystal clear sidewalk, but im looking for durable wheels and good manueverability.

Im looking at purehockey.com at the hockey skates but worried the wheels will chip hard at any kind of rock pavement.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Can anybody recommend some skates for going around town? Obviously the path isn't always a crystal clear sidewalk, but im looking for durable wheels and good manueverability.

Im looking at purehockey.com at the hockey skates but worried the wheels will chip hard at any kind of rock pavement.

Sounds like you might be better off with non-hockey skates and more traditional inline skates if you’re gonna be cruising on rough asphalt.

Inline skates and wheels are designed for sport court to smoother concrete surfaces.

But an entry level pair of skates like this comes with 82A wheels which are graded for smooth concrete to asphalt. You could also buy harder wheels, I think roller hockey wheels go up to 84A

Mission Inhaler NLS6 Roller Hockey Skates - Ice Warehouse

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I went ahead n got some Bauer hockey skates and some asphault wheels, pretty satisfied!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->