Inline Hockey

MattTHP

May 4, 2007
Hey all.

I'm 20 and looking to get into inline hockey, because there is a rink around here that runs leagues nightly, and where getting into Ice Hockey would be quite a bit more expensive and time consuming for me, I want to get into it relatively (relatively) quickly.

I am interested in playing goalie, and have never really done anything like this before (I've played organized sports but never hockey -- I've played street hockey beyond on the school yard and such), but anyways since I'm getting into this seriously now I am kind of clueless as to the sort of equipment I would need and where a good place would be to look.

I was hoping some of you guys could provide me with some recommendations as to some good gear and so on.

I know already that I play sort of a hybrid flop style of goalie, half Hasek half butterfly. Though I am not on my back as much as the Dominator. I look forward to flopping all over the place in a beginner league sometime this fall. :D

Thanks! :)

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
Unless you play in a ball league, most inline leagues require the goalie to wear skates. Seems to me that making that transition (guessing your street hockey play was in sneakers or boots) will be your biggest challenge. I'd start with a cheapish pair of inline goalie skates and work out a bit in them, ideally with a friend or three who could shoot on you and try to mimic some game situations. Good news is teams are always looking for goalies!

MattTHP

May 4, 2007
Yeah, I've been one ice skates before, and inline skates once or twice. So I don't think the learning curve for that will be too bad. :)

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
Trying to save money by playing inline instead of ice is negated by buying goalie pads.

Can you skate yet? You might think that a weaker skater would want to be a goalie, but this doesn't work that often (except for Hasek).

MattTHP

May 4, 2007
Trying to save money by playing inline instead of ice is negated by buying goalie pads.

Can you skate yet? You might think that a weaker skater would want to be a goalie, but this doesn't work that often (except for Hasek).

i can't, but that's not my reason for wanting to play goalie.

i've just always liked playing goalie. :)

Anonymous

May 24, 2007
I have a similar question. I am 16 years old and have recently gone from hardly ever watching hockey to a fanatic :help:

I'm inspired to become a goalie, even though I can skate (on ice and inline) but after only recently hearing about the Clint Malarchuk incident, I've become a little nervous about goal tending. A friend who also wants to play hockey would prefer if I didn't goal tend, so we might have a chance to play together. I don't see myself as an insane athlete (in fact, I am hardly an athlete at all.. I am a computer geek :cry:)

I am not sure whether I should play ice or inline hockey. I don't have a job yet so I cannot afford top of the line things, or many things at all for that matter. In fact, the least expensive things in my area is actually brand new (Reebok) gear, rather than used things.

Help is appreciated! I'm really looking forward to playing :) But I am also not looking to make it a really big future for me - just for fun. I love computers too much ;-)

We'reGonnaWin*

I have a similar question. I am 16 years old and have recently gone from hardly ever watching hockey to a fanatic :help:

I'm inspired to become a goalie, even though I can skate (on ice and inline) but after only recently hearing about the Clint Malarchuk incident, I've become a little nervous about goal tending. A friend who also wants to play hockey would prefer if I didn't goal tend, so we might have a chance to play together. I don't see myself as an insane athlete (in fact, I am hardly an athlete at all.. I am a computer geek :cry:)

I am not sure whether I should play ice or inline hockey. I don't have a job yet so I cannot afford top of the line things, or many things at all for that matter. In fact, the least expensive things in my area is actually brand new (Reebok) gear, rather than used things.

Help is appreciated! I'm really looking forward to playing :) But I am also not looking to make it a really big future for me - just for fun. I love computers too much ;-)

goaliestore.org 's message. THE authoritative source for all things goaltending. Post there respectfully and the regulars will be happy to dole out advice.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
i can't, but that's not my reason for wanting to play goalie.

i've just always liked playing goalie. :)
another one of those "psycho" goalie personalities... i don't know how you guys do it... if a puck were coming at my helmet, my instinct would be to move my head away, not to block it with my helmet... but thank god there are people around like you... hehehe...

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site

as far as money goes, normally, goalies that play in inline leagues do so for free... teams generally look at it as doing a favor, and it helps fray the much higher cost of procuring goalie equipment. for ice, usually goalies pay money, but not full price... i normally see it at half the league dues of what skaters play.

... so i'd recommend inline... just my thoughts...

Anonymous

May 24, 2007
Thanks for your answers so far.

We'reGonnaWin: Yes, I will do that :)

ginblossoms: I did notice that, yes. At least for ice hockey, I saw that goalies get a reduced payment (even in hockey camps, I think) - something like $100 - $200 for a player and $25 for a goalie. (These aren't exact prices, just memories ;-) However I saw nothing like that for inline skating.. hmm.

Again, thanks for the input! Any additional information would be helpful too :)

Beau Fleuve

Feb 24, 2007
Lancaster, NY
we've always made our roller goalie pay as much as the rest of us for a season... hopefully he doesnt check boards like these.

out of the 3 places ive played in roller hockey leauges in the past few years, 2 of them allow goalies to wear shoes. However 1 of them has a large area in front of the net that the goalie cannot step out of if wearing shoes. they dont want anyone running around on foot.

in the places that allow shoes on goalies id say 1 out of 5 goalies wear them.

on a side note, does anyone have crazy heat issues in the places they play summer roller leauges in? the place im in right now is like an OVEN! a big steel building with the rink inside... you sweat immediately upon entering the building. it really really makes you not want to play.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
USA Inline, by rule, allows all goalies the option of wearing skates or not, simply due to the lack of options. There is only one roler goalie skate available. The Tour line of gear, while doing the job, will require lots of maint to keep them intact. Avaid open toe pads such as the Tour USA models.... I would suggest a bottom line ice Chest/arm over anything offed in a roller CA. The roller CAs tend to have attached arms that twist around as you move. If you can find a roller with detachable/adjustable arm lengths, cool. Also pick up the ice level goalie jock. Simmons matrix is outstanding. You hardly notice wearing it.

You might also consider the bottom basement ice level mask. Do not use a street mask such as a franklin. They break very easily. Saw one break at a bar and the end bent in and cut the goalie nose just 1/4 inch from his eye. Just about any ice mask at the lowest price level will serve you for roller.

For those with heat issues, I suggest picking up a maltese combo or slash guard. a bit pricey but These gel items can be frozen and offer a significant improvement in regards to over heating, even when not frozen. they pull heat away rather than retain it inder the collar and CA. Mine worked wonders while playing in the Miami/Dade extreme roller championships. It is an ice hockey item so if you transition to ice its there for you.

Last edited:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I'm inspired to become a goalie, even though I can skate (on ice and inline) but after only recently hearing about the Clint Malarchuk incident, I've become a little nervous about goal tending. A friend who also wants to play hockey would prefer if I didn't goal tend, so we might have a chance to play together.

The Malarchuk incident is a 1 in 10,000 THING BUT ENOUGH TO WANT TO PROTECT AGAINST. The maltese gel combo or slash guard will go a long way to help prevent it from happening again. check it out at maltesehockey.com My Sons and I have worn them since around 2000 and I have to say other than my jock, its the MUST have item if your going to take the ice.

Anonymous

May 24, 2007
Thank you, MikeD. I saw your posts some days ago about the incident with your son. It's good to see that it's worked out so well. I will look into the maltese combo you've suggested. I've talked to my friend and it seems that he doesn't mind if I goaltend. I guess the thought of shooting pucks at me enlightens him ;)

There is still a huge problem with the cost... It is very unlikely that I'll be able to afford any of the equipment necessary.. does anybody have any suggestions for this? I've yet to post on goaliestore yet, I will look to do this soon though.

Last edited:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
check any local rinks for "for sale" items. You can also check many of the goalie BB's out there. goalie store is one, goalie equipment world (GEW) and Kazlaaz goalie discussion is another. I also run a goalie BB but there is no for sale items listed.

Got a local play it again sports? Sometimes the rinks that host the leagues also have loaner goalie gear. Give them a call and see whats available.

Anonymous

May 24, 2007
Could someone explain the sizing for Senior and Junior sizes? I found some equipment packages which have nice prices but there's a big difference between the senior and junior prices for the packages.

MikeD: I've checked my local Play It Again Sports, but I don't like their prices - they are more expensive than brand new equipment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->