Advice: Inline hockey skates

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Hey guys,

I am looking for some advice. I am looking to purchase new roller hockey skates because my Tour ETX 550s suck, in lack of better words. The boot is shaped like an L, and gives my foot absolutely no support. My ankles also have way too much room, even when I try to tighten my skate has hard as I can. But thats what I get for purchasing a skate for only $85.

So anyways, I play outdoor roller hockey once a week, and sometimes more. I am looking for a inline skate that has great support, doesn't have alot of ankle room (so that my feet stop bending), are light, and so that the wheels can last in outdoor conditions. My budget is around $200, and the absolute highest I can go is around $230.

Do you guys recommend a particular skate? I know where I can find them. I have alot of hockey stores around me, including a huge warehouse around a half an hour away.

I would appreciate the help. Thank you very much.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
1. Go to store
2. Try on a bunch of pairs until you find one that fits you well
3. Buy them
4. ????
5. Profit

I would like to know some skates I know other people have had success with.
I like to go into stores prepared with what I want so that I can
1. Have enough money
2. Don't waist my time if they don't have anything I am looking for.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Same thing as your other thread...try them on and get what fits best...

No reputable dealer will sell you crap on purpose...

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
I don't play roller that much, I don't even have a pair of good skates, just some used ones to practice stickhandling on skates off the ice. But I did play one time in my friends Bauer Vapor X60R's, they run for about 200, a little less, and when I used them I loved them and my friend says he really likes them too.

A few others I have heard pretty good things about for about 200:

Reebok 5k's
Alkali CA4 (They run for more like 230)
Mission AC:5

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I would like to know some skates I know other people have had success with.
I like to go into stores prepared with what I want so that I can
1. Have enough money
2. Don't waist my time if they don't have anything I am looking for.

Old lines are on clearance now that the new lines came out. So go to hockeymonkey and look at the clearance skates.

I am partial to Missions. But you have to get them fitted right (that includes width). I go through a skate every two years, but that's because I ruin them by taping my ankle (and thus eventually breaking the tendon guard), but that doesn't mean they don't have plenty of ankle support. Maybe that's something you would like to try. All of the skates you buy will come with soft indoor wheels, depending on your weight, you might be able to get away with that for a little bit. The fact that it is cold outside will also help those indoor wheels last. Ultimately no wheel is going to last in an outdoor condition (assuming they are using some type of concrete or hard sportcourt), and no skates really come with outdoor wheels as far as I am aware.

Missions are different than Tours though. I believe all Tours go with 80s straight across. Missions have a high low setup, so that it will feel like you are on your toes a bit. Look at the Mission Axiom T6 or T7. They are both now 200ish, both are going to be extremely sturdy compared to your current boot.

Regarding the clearance prices. The ones that are on clearance now (for all companies) for 200ish, are often better than the new line for 300ish. Technology doesn't change that much year to year, not for hockey boots. So now is the time to buy.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
If you have a used gear store in your area, do check it out. You can often find great gear at great prices. The one around the corner from me has a pair of what excellent condition Tour Cobalt Qs for $120. Too bad they're 3 sizes too big or I would have picked 'em up just to have as backups. That was a $400 skate a couple years ago. Sure they're not the new thing but chances are the top of the line skate from a couple year ago is still better than the low-end of the brand new lines. I'm currently skating on a pair of RBK 8Ks I picked up a couple years ago used (for about 8 games, and they looked just about new, wheels and all!) for under $150. A teammate bought the same ones a month or so prior brand new for about $400. We're both still skating on them w/the same wheels and everything. Crazy.

I did buy a brand new pair of skates recently at around the $200 pricepoint. They were Alkali CA5s which I picked up because an RBK chassis broke and I needed an immediate replacement. Some guys at my rink love the Alkali and a few have the CA5, including another teammate who loves them. At first they felt great but after they wore in I felt like they lose some support. The tongue was flimsy and thin and kept slipping on me no matter what I did, and I ended up having to ice my ankles after each game because of it. Went back to my RBKs and I haven't had one iota of discomfort since. I understand this is a "your mileage may vary" scenario, but if you happen to be picky w/tongue thickness then it may help. The higher-end Alkalis have a thicker tongue, I do believe, but the CA5 was already at roughly $200 anyway so you weren't getting a better skate from them near the same price. However, I do find that their top model, CA9, is on sale at inlinewarehouse.com for $300. Now that is a great deal, though not as great as finding a lightly used set for 70% off at a used store - but what can ya do...

Long story short for the above, I love my RBK boots :) On the other hand, over the year I've used my friend's old-ass Missions on occasion and they've served me well. Comfy boot, Hi-Lo chassis (while I'm not a fan of that setup, I can skate on 'em fine), and adequate support. I can't recall the style of that skate, but I do remember they kept popping up at the used store for like $50 and it seemed a lot of people were skating on them around here. Very popular boot from probably 4-5 years ago, it was probably a $180-230 skate when brand new.

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
Spend a lot of time on ebay, and i mean a lot! A few days ago i just got a brand new Mission Axiom T9 for $200 and a used Mission Inhaler AC1 for $250.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad