Injury Report: Injury Timelines (No Longer being Updated. Sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
You really aren't watching the games if you think that. Clendening gets confused on regular things like teams cycling behind the net and next thing you know he's out of position.

Girardi makes stupid plays, as i said but even he knows when to pick his spots on routine plays.

Most won't but I agree with this, clendening may be much better as far as skating and moving the puck but Girardi is better from a defensive standpoint. Too keep the post on topic we all know if G is healthy he's playing over Clendening, I don't understand why people continue to ***** about it it's about as sure a thing as the sun rising. So the healthier G is the better.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Most won't but I agree with this, clendening may be much better as far as skating and moving the puck but Girardi is better from a defensive standpoint. Too keep the post on topic we all know if G is healthy he's playing over Clendening, I don't understand why people continue to ***** about it it's about as sure a thing as the sun rising. So the healthier G is the better.

The problem with this line of thought is that defense and offense are inextricably linked in hockey. If you're very good at moving the puck up ice and shifting the play back to offense, that is in and of itself a form of defense. When you're on offense, the other team has no chance to score.

Looking at purely defending is fundamentally flawed. It ignores the fact that Clendening is so much better than Girardi at moving the puck out of danger that he spends much less time in the defensive zone than Girardi does. All that extra time adds up to more scoring chances against Girardi, which means he's actually a worse defender, even if he is able to "defend" better than Clendening.

It's also why Girardi is one of the best penalty killers on the team. On the PK, the puck is pretty much pinned in your zone for much of the time. And, when you finally get the puck, you can just make the caveman play and ice it without the same penalty that applies at even strength.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Great answer below:

The problem with this line of thought is that defense and offense are inextricably linked in hockey. If you're very good at moving the puck up ice and shifting the play back to offense, that is in and of itself a form of defense. When you're on offense, the other team has no chance to score.

Looking at purely defending is fundamentally flawed. It ignores the fact that Clendening is so much better than Girardi at moving the puck out of danger that he spends much less time in the defensive zone than Girardi does. All that extra time adds up to more scoring chances against Girardi, which means he's actually a worse defender, even if he is able to "defend" better than Clendening.

It's also why Girardi is one of the best penalty killers on the team. On the PK, the puck is pretty much pinned in your zone for much of the time. And, when you finally get the puck, you can just make the caveman play and ice it without the same penalty that applies at even strength.

Doesn't matter if he's that much better in his own end if the team is hemmed in that same end of the ice whenever he is on the ice. If you're spending more time there, the calculation of whether or not that defense is conducive to success becomes a net negative solution.

Clendening may not be flashy, or a shot blocking warrior, but when he can get the puck, it's moved quite quickly out of the zone, and as the post above me states, that's a form of defense--actually it's the best kind of defense, because it leads directly to offense.

Girardi's form of "defense" leads to playing MORE defense, more stress on the forwards, and less puck support to get out of the zone. Doesn't sound like much, but more time playing defense means more shots against, which means more tired forwards.

Anyways, Gorton's goal is most likely to move Girardi at 50% retained to avoid the buyout penalties. Can't do that if you're benching him constantly.

Which is unfortunately why Klein will be a casualty. Clendening NEEDS to play. If he's so defensively inefficient, put him up with McDonagh and let McDonagh do ALL of the defensive lifting

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Grabner has a hip injury?

@BrettCyrgalis 13s14 seconds ago
Vigneault says Fast out "2-3 weeks." Klein not quite ready yet. Hopeful on Zibanejad. Kreider should be OK. Grabner "up in air" with hip.

@BrettCyrgalis
Grabner took a crosscheck in hip from Clendening at practice, left early. Vigneault said call-up might be needed for tomorrow. #NYR

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Grabner has a hip injury?

@BrettCyrgalis 13s14 seconds ago
Vigneault says Fast out "2-3 weeks." Klein not quite ready yet. Hopeful on Zibanejad. Kreider should be OK. Grabner "up in air" with hip.

@BrettCyrgalis
Grabner took a crosscheck in hip from Clendening at practice, left early. Vigneault said call-up might be needed for tomorrow. #NYR

Wow.... it seems as if this team is imploding at the moment.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Is it not obvious that they're starting to sit out guys that have had small injuries nagging them for a while, so that we lose a few games and secure that Wildcard spot? Because it's pretty obvious to me.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Is it not obvious that they're starting to sit out guys that have had small injuries nagging them for a while, so that we lose a few games and secure that Wildcard spot? Because it's pretty obvious to me.

If that's the case it's the best move that can be made. If zibby, Klein and grabner have had nagging injuries let them sit out another week or two. Hayes probably isn't right after coming off the knee injury

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This stinks. Not a good time for guys to start getting banged up and injured.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This stinks. Not a good time for guys to start getting banged up and injured.

Believe it or not, I think it's good. Get these things out of the way now. They're all short term.

I know there's no statistical logic in this. It's more of a feeling that these things happen this way.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Believe it or not, I think it's good. Get these things out of the way now. They're all short term.

I know there's no statistical logic in this. It's more of a feeling that these things happen this way.

Yeah that is a good point, I just worry they will linger into April. But there is a good month or so left before the playoffs.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
we have enough of a cushion. Arguably, the injuries almost help tank us into the 1WC spot in the standigns

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

agreed . they are gonna happen sooner or later better now with over month left until playoffs.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I never quite understood the reasoning behind, "Its better they get hurt now rather than later".

It doesn't really make much sense. :laugh:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'd rather our players get hurt...never?

:dunno:

But if I had to choose between the beginning of March or the beginning of April, I'd choose the beginning of March. No question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad