Injury Report: Injury Thread 2018-19 [Klefbom (Finger Surgery, Out 2 Months)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Can anyone explain to me what's up with Klefbom?
Is he healthy? Is he playing through injuries?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

I wish someone would tell us what this “procedure” is. I also don’t understand if it’s going to require further surgery in the off season why can’t we just do it now?

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
what the hell is going on with Klefbom, how the f*** is he playing this week, and then being shut down next week?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Um...why is he playing if they know he needs and is getting season ending surgery?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
WTF is the point of him playing when we're already bottom in the standings with few games remaining. Shut him down, give him his surgery, and then he'll have more time to heal. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
WTF is the point of him playing when we're already bottom in the standings with few games remaining. Shut him down, give him his surgery, and then he'll have more time to heal. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

McLellan says because Klef wants to play.

I think this is a case where the team needs to be the big boys with the big picture view and say no, like when a goalie thinks he can play all 82.

McLellan says zero chance of making it worse, but he also says it's an injury that has been getting progressively worse over years now for Klef and treatments aren't working anymore. So, which is it? Guess we can just hope he doesn't take an awkward hit or a bad spill and ends up needing some extra work beyond what is scheduled.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
McLellan says because Klef wants to play.

I think this is a case where the team needs to be the big boys with the big picture view and say no, like when a goalie thinks he can play all 82.

McLellan says zero chance of making it worse, but he also says it's an injury that has been getting progressively worse over years now for Klef and treatments aren't working anymore. So, which is it? Guess we can just hope he doesn't take an awkward hit or a bad spill and ends up needing some extra work beyond what is scheduled.

Yeah, no shit eh? All it would take is one awkward hit, and that injury of his will get worse. There's literally no good outcome out of this. Especially when Klefbom has been playing poorly all year, the best option would be to shut him down for his surgery, and then let him heal. Oilers management/coaching have no damn clue.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Happy to hear Klefbom will be getting the surgery now, rather than waiting until the end of the year. We need him and Larsson to be 100% at the start of the next season.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Happy to hear Klefbom will be getting the surgery now, rather than waiting until the end of the year. We need him and Larsson to be 100% at the start of the next season.

Do we know if Klef will actually be healthy for the start of the year? Has the team released anything at all about the surgery? What it is, what its repairing, how long he'll be out, etc

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Gregor just tweeted out that the procedure Klefbom had was essentially a vacuum out of 22 bone chips. The guy was playing with that all year long.

I don’t know if any of you have had bone chips in any of your joints - I have. A lot less than 22 and it felt like my ankle was covered in sandpaper on the inside. Poor Klefbom. That had to hurt like hell.

Reactions: nabob and oilers'72

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Gregor just tweeted out that the procedure Klefbom had was essentially a vacuum out of 22 bone chips. The guy was playing with that all year long.

I don’t know if any of you have had bone chips in any of your joints - I have. A lot less than 22 and it felt like my ankle was covered in sandpaper on the inside. Poor Klefbom. That had to hurt like hell.

Yeah, that doesn't sound fun at all. Hopefully this doesn't have any long term affects on his shoulder.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I distinctly remember Hall saying after his shoulder surgery that it would never be the same. Well, clearly it didn't have that much of an effect. I think sometimes that we underestimate the resilience of the human body.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
I distinctly remember Hall saying after his shoulder surgery that it would never be the same. Well, clearly it didn't have that much of an effect. I think sometimes that we underestimate the resilience of the human body.

especially in elite athletes that have the ability to rehab daily and build their muscles to support the joint.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
That is one part of it I think, and you are right, the other part is that I also think these are the very top talents in hockey and many of them can adapt/adjust if necessary. They don't need to be the perfect physical specimen, they got to where they are because they can work around problems/issues/injuries.

Karlsson said something like this after his achilles operation. Either he'd be back in old form (not likely) or he'd have to adapt/adjust his game/skating.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Except now Sekera is out, again....FFS! This is shaping up to be a lot like last season except this time no cap space for a good replacement. Same shitty GM, same shitty coach, same shitty D-Core minus Sekera.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
What is wrong with Russell? Never saw or heard anything about him getting hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->