Injury Report: Injury Thread 2018-19 [Klefbom (Finger Surgery, Out 2 Months)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Good. Hopefully he and Jesse play together and both can finish the year strong. Nuge maybe playing for his life as an Oiler these last handful of games.

Chia has already made up his mind that he is going to trade RNH for pennies on the dollar, cause that's how he rolls. Chia is the worst GM in Oilers history, and will trade RNH for a borderline 2nd pairing dman, or 3rd pairing dman who barely helps on the PP. RNH has earned every penny of his contract, and is a good forward for this team, which assuredly means that Chia thinks he has no value (because whatever is the truth, Chia thinks the opposite). RNH is as good as gone.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Disagree that Nuge is gone, but I'm an optimist. Hoping we draft Boqvist or even better Dahlin at the draft, then trade Sekera's 5.5 mil.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chia has already made up his mind that he is going to trade RNH for pennies on the dollar, cause that's how he rolls. Chia is the worst GM in Oilers history, and will trade RNH for a borderline 2nd pairing dman, or 3rd pairing dman who barely helps on the PP. RNH has earned every penny of his contract, and is a good forward for this team, which assuredly means that Chia thinks he has no value (because whatever is the truth, Chia thinks the opposite). RNH is as good as gone.

Honesty I came to the realization that he maybe traded going back to the offseason that Hall was dealt. I would MUCH rather keep him as he was my favorite player before we got the likes of Drai and Connor. I think that he is worth his contract and that he makes us a better team. That said if he is the ask for a defenseman to take our team to the next level then I reluctantly would take such a deal. I would prefer if he's dealt as part of a package for a stud D like OEL for example but regardless he had better not be sold low on because he is a young center that still has 1C potential and IMO this season has played like a 1C.

Disagree that Nuge is gone, but I'm an optimist. Hoping we draft Boqvist or even better Dahlin at the draft, then trade Sekera's 5.5 mil.

That would be my preference as well. Sekera's cap hit is the highest on the team in terms of blueliners. That said I have a feeling that it will be Klefbom and not Sekera getting moved since he has no NMC. I could see Klefbom being moved for a top end winger or as part of a package for a better LHD (OEL) or a RD to better balance the teams LH/RH depth on D.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good. Hopefully he and Jesse play together and both can finish the year strong. Nuge maybe playing for his life as an Oiler these last handful of games.

In fairness Nuge has done this most of the season but his body of work, in sum, over the Chia tenure would certainly leave the probability of trade open. In prior season Nuge play didn't convey being indispensable. This season better, but is it enough to retain him?

Other factors of course being can't trade Lucic (this contract factors in as deadweight in so many ways) and if theres the opportunity to get someone like Hoffman Nuge is gone because he can be traded and that there would be more feasibility of that based on his this season performance.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In fairness Nuge has done this most of the season but his body of work, in sum, over the Chia tenure would certainly leave the probability of trade open. In prior season Nuge play didn't convey being indispensable. This season better, but is it enough to retain him?

Other factors of course being can't trade Lucic (this contract factors in as deadweight in so many ways) and if theres the opportunity to get someone like Hoffman Nuge is gone because he can be traded and that there would be more feasibility of that based on his this season performance.

Agreed, this is by far his best season since the pre-Chia and Todd years. I don't know, if we play Leon and Connor together as a dynamic duo then it makes sense to keep Nuge and Strome IMO. If not then I could see him moved. It all depends n what Chia or the next GM thinks of the player. IMO we will see Nuge continue to get better as he gets older and into his mid-late 20's and even early 30's.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

This is a fair assessment, but trading Nuge to acquire Hoffman would be a huge mistake imo. Especially without trying him on McDavid's wing first.

Reactions: Aerchon

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
@Soundwave @Captain Controversy @SamSteelFan4Ever @rboomercat90

There have been statements/discussion regarding Klefbom: injured, not injured; needs operation, doesn't need operation, etc. I thought that he probably didn't need to be operated since he was tentatively positive when asked about participating in the WHC (now he changed his mind, for good I think).

Now there is a bit of new info though (extracts from Matheson article in Edmonton Sun):
Edmonton Oilers’ defenceman Oscar Klefbom said the shoulder that needed a healthy dose of anti-inflammatory drugs just before Christmas has helped because he can work the corners and hammer pucks better than he had been, but his game is still hurting.

“My shoulder is fine. For sure, it’s going to get me through to the end of the year,” said Klefbom. “Battling-wise and shooting-wise it’s so much better.”

The Oilers aren’t going to shut him down with the playoffs out of sight.

And he said he won’t need any medical procedures this summer

“No, but we’ve talked about the world championship and my priority is the Edmonton Oilers,” said Klefbom, who would have played for Sweden with the tournament in Denmark. “I need a good summer of rehab.”

So if the Swedes come calling, he’ll say no.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
@Soundwave @Captain Controversy @SamSteelFan4Ever @rboomercat90

There have been statements/discussion regarding Klefbom: injured, not injured; needs operation, doesn't need operation, etc. I thought that he probably didn't need to be operated since he was tentatively positive when asked about participating in the WHC (now he changed his mind, for good I think).

Now there is a bit of new info though (extracts from Matheson article in Edmonton Sun):
Thanks for posting this. It still leaves me with questions though. It sounds to me like there’s a problem that may or may not be being addressed. Sounds like there’s an injury that they’re just hoping heals itself. If it does then great but if it doesn’t then it could continue to linger for who knows how long. Wish we could here from a medical expert to know if surgery last summer would or would not have been the better option.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Thanks for posting this. It still leaves me with questions though. It sounds to me like there’s a problem that may or may not be being addressed. Sounds like there’s an injury that they’re just hoping heals itself. If it does then great but if it doesn’t then it could continue to linger for who knows how long. Wish we could here from a medical expert to know if surgery last summer would or would not have been the better option.

Yeah, this doesn't sound that promising to me either. Basically sounds like he's been trying to baby his shoulder all year, and is going to go into the summer still not confident it's fixed.

Think @Drivesaitl had the theory that Klef may be scared of another surgery after his recent nightmare dealing with one. I really hope that isn't keeping him from getting a much needed operation.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I agree with this, the issue I have with all of this is that he already had a summer off to rest last year. Why would it be different this time...

However I would also say, even though it is not a popular opinion, that he has looked a lot better after his break in Dec.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yeah, this doesn't sound that promising to me either. Basically sounds like he's been trying to baby his shoulder all year, and is going to go into the summer still not confident it's fixed.

Think @Drivesaitl had the theory that Klef may be scared of another surgery after his recent nightmare dealing with one. I really hope that isn't keeping him from getting a much needed operation.
But the staph infection didn't come from the surgery, I doubt this is true. The surgery basically saved his leg (or at least foot). These kids are so used to being treated and they will follow whatever they are instructed by their management.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

While I'm certainly no doctor one of the complications of any ongoing injury like this is the activity that one engages in. In the case of pro hockey it being impossible to avoid what caused the injury in the first place.

While it may not require surgery does not mean it won't flare up again indefinitely. I think anybody here that has had any kind of nagging injury probably has some experience with this. For most of us that just means giving up on what the recreational sport or activity was and seeking out others. For pro athletes they don't have that choice and will continually be subject to the same mechanisms of injury. Potentially.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I agree with this, the issue I have with all of this is that he already had a summer off to rest last year. Why would it be different this time...

However I would also say, even though it is not a popular opinion, that he has looked a lot better after his break in Dec.
He has been better but it was a pretty low bar to improve from. He was down right awful earlier in the season and his play was single handedly losing the team games.

I share the same concern as you. Letting it heal over the summer did nothing for him. If the problem is nerve damage though, that can take up to 18 months to heal. Just from my personal experience, I had a major surgery 6 years ago. Part of it involved severing the nerves in my shoulder. It took about 18 months to heal and it wasn’t a gradual recovery. One day I couldn’t lift my arm past shoulder height and then the next day I had full movement. The human body works on its own timetable and it’s different for everyone.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He has been better but it was a pretty low bar to improve from. He was down right awful earlier in the season and his play was single handedly losing the team games.

I share the same concern as you. Letting it heal over the summer did nothing for him. If the problem is nerve damage though, that can take up to 18 months to heal. Just from my personal experience, I had a major surgery 6 years ago. Part of it involved severing the nerves in my shoulder. It took about 18 months to heal and it wasn’t a gradual recovery. One day I couldn’t lift my arm past shoulder height and then the next day I had full movement. The human body works on its own timetable and it’s different for everyone.
Ouch, that must have been tough.

I kind of hope that they will release more info on after the season is done. If you listen to Klefbom it sounds like a normal bruise, although next sentance he talks about heavy pain killers/injections...

We'll see, he is looking better (agree about the low bar obviously) and just the other day I went to look at stats from end Dec to now because I wanted to understand if I was drunk or not seeing him play better only to see GDT/PGT full of trashings. Even though it is not a great accomplishment looking at our D core he is in the top of most on-ice stats while having the most defensive zone starts and the worst "luck" (pdo) on the d-core.

Baby steps, I know. I just hope he won't be run out of town (unless an OEL is coming the other way).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honesty I came to the realization that he maybe traded going back to the offseason that Hall was dealt. I would MUCH rather keep him as he was my favorite player before we got the likes of Drai and Connor. I think that he is worth his contract and that he makes us a better team. That said if he is the ask for a defenseman to take our team to the next level then I reluctantly would take such a deal. I would prefer if he's dealt as part of a package for a stud D like OEL for example but regardless he had better not be sold low on because he is a young center that still has 1C potential and IMO this season has played like a 1C.

But that is the entire problem. Chia has shown, time and time again, in his career that he loses trades with big name players involved. I struggle to think of a single trade he's ever won where he gave up a major player. He loses them all, quite often (as with the Hall and Seguin trades) in a lopsided landslide. I see no reason to expect something else of the upcoming RNH trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad