Injury Report: Injuries

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
E's news is a bummer. He was having a pretty good year, and on a team that's already got some dman problems he's going to be sorely missed.

OTOH, this pretty much guarantees a deadline sell-off. It's just too many injuries, now.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Sickening might be overstating it but generally I agree. It's like people bash him just from habit. He's been having a solid season.

For people who joke about him playing being the key to the tank, I'm curious who they think is going to pick up his 19 minutes a night (2 of which is on the PK) that's better.

It's not about being better right now, it's more about letting the kids play. Similar to Toronto, just play the kids every game without scratching them after one mistake (not talking about Matthews, marner, king joffrey)

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The attitude towards E is pretty sickening tbh. Dude was having a solid season despite the mess this team is. Another bad injury was not what he needed and it doesn't do much good for this team.

I agree. It one thing to be frustrated with a player/team but to be glad for an injury is inhuman.

**** that fall looked ugly but had no idea it was surgery inducing. I'm really bad at judging these on-ice incidents. They appear fairly harmless then a guy is out for weeks or months. I hate how many injuries there are in the NHL.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
E's news is a bummer. He was having a pretty good year, and on a team that's already got some dman problems he's going to be sorely missed.

OTOH, this pretty much guarantees a deadline sell-off. It's just too many injuries, now.
It's interesting to see how diverse the opinions of the fanbase are on things like this. In the same thread, some people claim that injuries will force them to sell, while others claim that being shorthanded will make them want to keep the remaining bodies left.

I'm not saying either view is wrong. Just that it's interesting to see opinions run the gamut.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Do not wish an injury like that on anybody

the silver lining though may be that it gives some youngsters a longer look(or a look at all) with more minutes and bigger situations

as for the TDL, selling was always gonna be based on where we're exactly on that day in the standings. this injury could push us even further down meaning more likely to sell

I cant see KH saying no to selling assets when we're clearly out of it simply to play smith over sproul

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Do not wish an injury like that on anybody

the silver lining though may be that it gives some youngsters a longer look(or a look at all) with more minutes and bigger situations

as for the TDL, selling was always gonna be based on where we're exactly on that day in the standings. this injury could push us even further down meaning more likely to sell

I cant see KH saying no to selling assets when we're clearly out of it simply to play smith over sproul

I see the injuries as a built in excuse for Holland for missing the playoffs and pretty much doing nothing at the deadline. "We could have been a competitive team, but missing veterans like Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Ericsson really hurt this team. We like our team, but you can't expect a Cup every year. With these guys back, we'll be close to eeking into the playoffs next year and restarting the streak".

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I see the injuries as a built in excuse for Holland for missing the playoffs and pretty much doing nothing at the deadline. "We could have been a competitive team, but missing veterans like Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Ericsson really hurt this team. We like our team, but you can't expect a Cup every year. With these guys back, we'll be close to eeking into the playoffs next year and restarting the streak".

totally fair and valid point

but I think and hope that KH see's this year as the end of the streak and that as of yesterday morning he was planning on likely being a "small" seller, ie vanek and smith, because I believe he still felt that we were not totally out of it nor wold be come March 1st.

Now however with this injury and howards setback I suspect he may be thinking ok well thats about it now so lets see what assets we can recapture towards the future

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

And don't ever forget the infamous: "less is more". :laugh:

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The attitude towards E is pretty sickening tbh. Dude was having a solid season despite the mess this team is. Another bad injury was not what he needed and it doesn't do much good for this team.

I disagree. He's a turnover machine, can barely skate anymore, is always out of position and can't hit the net. Oh, and how could I forget his asinine penalties? I would love to find a way to get his contract off the books. It's a waste of 4.25 million. If he was making 2 million as a 3rd pair guy, I'd be ok with having him. He's not worth 4.25 though, and shouldn't get 20+ minutes of ice per game.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I disagree. He's a turnover machine, can barely skate anymore, is always out of position and can't hit the net. Oh, and how could I forget his asinine penalties? I would love to find a way to get his contract off the books. It's a waste of 4.25 million. If he was making 2 million as a 3rd pair guy, I'd be ok with having him. He's not worth 4.25 though, and shouldn't get 20+ minutes of ice per game.

His turnover rate isn't much different than most guys in his general role, ~4's who have a defensive assignment. He's obviously not as fluid as he used to be, but he's been effective this year. In fact, he's been the Wings most reliable defensive 'stopper', given Dekeyser's inconsistency. He's not worth 4.25 now, and was maybe only worth it for the first year of that deal, but he got the deal he did because of the timing of the Lidstrom and Rafalski retirements... so he had a good deal of leverage to use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad