#%^*+" # injuries..

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Too much ..or too little?

..what gives?

I'm not a doctor. I was on TRT therapy for about a year and a half, never got sick, think I got a stuffy nose once, recovery time is accelerated, energy levels up, no aches or pains, had to stop cause I'm in the process of changing jobs and can't afford the co pay plus my insurance wanted, came out to about $200 a month. Not pimping it out, don't have any monetary connections, just a hormonal therapy that really worked for me.

MeltingPlastic

Jul 1, 2010
Outside Philly
was relatively injury free in my youth (1 concussion and a meniscus tear that was due to other stuff besides just hockey)

i broke my fibula and tore every ligament in my ankle in beer league (got tripped and went skates first into the boards at full speed), took one to the mouth and chipped some teeth, and recently was diagnosed with a SLAP (shoulder labrum) tear that will be fixed in the spring. sucks getting old!

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
On Sunday night, I was carrying the puck and driving the net when the goalie got aggressive and tried to poke check me. He missed the puck and ended up taking my legs out from under me while I was traveling at a fair rate of speed and next thing I know I'm on top of him inside the cage.

After apologizing to each other and dusting off, I went back to the bench to await my next shift. I was fine the rest of the game and me and the goalie had a good laugh and a cold one after we got off the ice. No harm, no foul.

.... until yesterday morning, I woke up and couldn't move my neck. I went to see the chiropractor today and he says it seems like a minor case of whiplash. I'll probably be out the next week or two at least. I got the usual advice: rest, ice, Motrin... I feel like that is going to be the inscription on my tombstone.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Before my last game I pulled a muscle right on or right under my very bottom rib. It felt like it was loosening up so I played my last game. Then during that game I get elbowed right there hard enough to get the wind knocked out of me. It was still sore for another day or two but it felt fine and yesterday I went out and played some street hockey and didn't even get hit or anything. Now its so sore right there. I got trouble stretching it out and even rolling over in bed. Hopefully it loosens back up by Saturday though because I have no intention of missing a game. Wonder if I bruised a rib or something when the guy elbowed me?

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
I've had my teeth go through my lip, twice. One happened about 6 weeks before my wedding, fiancee was not happy. It healed in time though

I've never broken any bones that I know of, but I separated my shoulder because I was a dummy playing without shoulder pads. I also tore my rotator cuff in my other shoulder. I now have a neat little shoulder click.

I've had roughly 6 concussions too :shakehead

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
Before my last game I pulled a muscle right on or right under my very bottom rib. It felt like it was loosening up so I played my last game. Then during that game I get elbowed right there hard enough to get the wind knocked out of me. It was still sore for another day or two but it felt fine and yesterday I went out and played some street hockey and didn't even get hit or anything. Now its so sore right there. I got trouble stretching it out and even rolling over in bed. Hopefully it loosens back up by Saturday though because I have no intention of missing a game. Wonder if I bruised a rib or something when the guy elbowed me?

Oh that's the worst. Reminds of when I pulled my oblique muscle in high school. Took me months before I could stop on that side without almost falling over in pain. Every time it seemed like it was getting better, I'd mess it up again. That was also the worst. Turns out, obliques are important for hockey :)

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
A buddy and teammate of mine broke his clavicle at a pickup skate back in May; literally just got cleared three weeks ago and at one of our practices a week and a half ago a teammate leans in on him and re-breaks it. Wasn’t much of a “bump”, they just leaned on each other. It was depressing because you could just feel the wind get sucked out of the rink when he went down.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
A buddy and teammate of mine broke his clavicle at a pickup skate back in May; literally just got cleared three weeks ago and at one of our practices a week and a half ago a teammate leans in on him and re-breaks it. Wasn’t much of a “bumpâ€, they just leaned on each other. It was depressing because you could just feel the wind get sucked out of the rink when he went down.

I've seen a couple of those of late, generally caused by falling into the boards rather than running into anyone or being run into.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
When I was 11 or 12 I think (was in 2nd year atom) I dislocated my left knee. When I got back to hockey idk what happened but my right knee (yeah, not the one I dislocated) was in such pain every time I skated.
I couldn't handle it. Must've tweeked it bad. Haven't played league hockey since. (Only 18 now, may pick up rec but shinny at the ODR is good enough for now)

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Been about six weeks and just about coming right. Missed a solitary game, but have since been skating and playing as much as I can, albeit with reduced speed and agility.

Stride is pretty much back and the knee bend is getting better. Still can't quite load up fully on that knee, but it's 90%+ and feeling pretty good. Fingers crossed it stays on the improve.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I got three concussions (albeit minor ones) in an 18 month span. Two from checks and my head hitting the ice, one from an idiot who whipped his stick out in the locker room and right into my temple. These led to the end of my hockey career.

That sucks man. How did you know you got a concussion? Did the doc tell you not to play anymore?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I'm interested in the concussion thing and people giving the game away because of concussions. Is that on proper medical advice or just self evaluating?

I've had a few concussions, never on ice, but would think them very rare playing beer league unless you're tripping over your own feet into the boards.

I couldn't imagine dropping hockey because of concussions. I would think the health benefits of playing regularly would even outweigh any concussion risks.

I plan on playing til I'm 70, if I live that long.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Injuries are a pain and I'm pretty young. Already got chronic nerve pain and it hurts like a *****

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I'm interested in the concussion thing and people giving the game away because of concussions. Is that on proper medical advice or just self evaluating?

I've had a few concussions, never on ice, but would think them very rare playing beer league unless you're tripping over your own feet into the boards.

I couldn't imagine dropping hockey because of concussions. I would think the health benefits of playing regularly would even outweigh any concussion risks.

I plan on playing til I'm 70, if I live that long.

I'm a concussion magnet. I've gotten several playing beer league, one from martial arts, one from... well, an emotional breakdown and it being self-inflicted (don't ask me to re-hash the details), and actually three from officiating. I've seriously contemplating giving up the game over it because I'm worried about chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is what they found after Derek Boogaard's death. I'd rather not be crippled and demented in my 40's like some of those retired NFL players are. That's a fairly unexplored area in medicine so far but it's still frightening to think about.

Regarding the earlier-discussed testosterone thing, I've been on hormone replacement therapy including a testosterone blocker (spironolactone) and it's definitely made it a more lengthy process to recover from illness and injury.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I'm a concussion magnet. I've gotten several playing beer league, one from martial arts, one from... well, an emotional breakdown and it being self-inflicted (don't ask me to re-hash the details), and actually three from officiating. I've seriously contemplating giving up the game over it because I'm worried about chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is what they found after Derek Boogaard's death. I'd rather not be crippled and demented in my 40's like some of those retired NFL players are. That's a fairly unexplored area in medicine so far but it's still frightening to think about.

Regarding the earlier-discussed testosterone thing, I've been on hormone replacement therapy including a testosterone blocker (spironolactone) and it's definitely made it a more lengthy process to recover from illness and injury.

Are your estrogen levels monitored?

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
No serious injuries yet just some serious hip pain after games. Really starting to feel like an old lady between hockey and my job. I'm only 25.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Played last night and the first time I've been running on all cylinders for 7-8 weeks. I didn't feel or notice any discomfort and wasn't even conscious of it. It felt good and I was real happy. Couple of big open ice collisions too which I won both.

Gotta declare..I'm back baby!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3