Injury Report: Injuries Thread | Bear (Head), Lagesson (Wrist), Kassian (Hand/Weeks), 4K (CollarBone/Months)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
So I'm guessing that Yams will be a game time decision tomorrow? Any more news about Klefbom? We need Klefbom back more than we do Yams, obviously. 2 really hard games coming up on the road against Nashville and Dallas

Not sure about Klefbom but Yam will most likely be in. Jim Lost Matheson said Neal is travelling with the team so he may be close too. But again, its Jim Matheson

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Not sure about Klefbom but Yam will most likely be in. Jim Lost Matheson said Neal is travelling with the team so he may be close too. But again, its Jim Matheson

Ennis Mcdavid Kassian
Nuge Drai Yam
AA Haas Neal
Khaira Sheahan Archibald
Chiasson/Russell

ohhhh baby I like the looks of that.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Ennis Mcdavid Kassian
Nuge Drai Yam
AA Haas Neal
Khaira Sheahan Archibald
Chiasson/Russell

ohhhh baby I like the looks of that.
Jesus there is not a weak spot in that line up until you get to the 4th line LW and the two guys in the pressbox.

Reactions: Oilhawks

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Jones was a 4th? Bear a 5th?

Not saying we can expect those results even remotely regularly but not having those pick does suck and giving them away for a player i don't think is a roster player doubly so.

Well, that's just it.

You're probably trading a 5% chance at something like Ethan Bear in 5 years. It's not worth thinking about in that way.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Well, that's just it.

You're probably trading a 5% chance at something like Ethan Bear in 5 years. It's not worth thinking about in that way.

Except the cupboards are pretty bare after this year and was already mostly empty in the forward department.

Holland's second draft will be his last real chance imo to draft an impact forward before his 5 year term is up.

Optimizing prime McDrai years involves ELC bargain contracts... Obviously you need to actually have picks for this to work.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Neal will help out the PP, but that is about it. Could get some "lightning in a bottle" for the off shift with McDavid I suppose as well.

Yams back on that deadly 2nd line will be great.

Klefbom needs to come back ASAP though, as our defence has been atrocious with him out of the lineup. With him and Russell healthy again, we can run with Nurse/Bear, Klefbom/Larsson, some combo of Jones/Russell/Benning for the 3rd pairing. That is actually not a terrible d-corps. It's not *great* by any stretch, but it's a playoff caliber, d-corps.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Except the cupboards are pretty bare after this year and was already mostly empty in the forward department.

4th and 5th round picks would not address this for 3+ years, and probably never.

Holland's second draft will be his last real chance imo to draft an impact forward before his 5 year term is up.

Optimizing prime McDrai years involves ELC bargain contracts... Obviously you need to actually have picks for this to work.

NHL teams are unlikely to find an NHL player in the 5th round over any 5 year period. Those picks are also painfully easy to recoup.

This line of concern doesn't hold up for these late round picks. Maybe the two seconds, but they've kept the one pick that's actually likely to impact the NHL team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
4th and 5th round picks would not address this for 3+ years, and probably never.

NHL teams are unlikely to find an NHL player in the 5th round over any 5 year period. Those picks are also painfully easy to recoup.

This line of concern doesn't hold up for these late round picks. Maybe the two seconds, but they've kept the one pick that's actually likely to impact the NHL team.

You can't say my line of concern is not valid anymore than I can your dismissal.

Statistics are just arbitrary numbers without context. Probability states you either do or do not draft successfully.

Those picks gone "likely" don't matter but if statistics were infaliable every team would get a good prospect with their 4th rounder every 20 years. Where reality its possible for a team to go 20 years straight getting a 5th round player.

My point being tossing away a chance for a roster player, as unlikely as it may be statistically, still has value and "could" be big.

I honestly think the chances Green actually helps this team have success is equal to or less than a 4th round pick.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
You can't say my line of concern is not valid anymore than I can your dismissal.

Statistics are just arbitrary numbers without context. Probability states you either do or do not draft successfully.

Those picks gone "likely" don't matter but if statistics were infaliable every team would get a good prospect with their 4th rounder every 20 years. Where reality its possible for a team to go 20 years straight getting a 5th round player.

My point being tossing away a chance for a roster player, as unlikely as it may be statistically, still has value and "could" be big.

I honestly think the chances Green actually helps this team have success is equal to or less than a 4th round pick.
And i honestly think you are out to lunch lol Acquiring Green cost us so little for defensive depth. Go complain about something else lol

replacement

Oct 20, 2018

Not saying we can expect those results even remotely regularly but not having those pick does suck and giving them away for a player i don't think is a roster player doubly so.

This is kind of... I mean it's a very basic way of thinking.

The situation isn't just static until you turn on your TV for the draft. People actually keep working. A 4th round pick isn't just expendable because the odds are low for that player to be an NHL regular. It's also expendable because it's much more recoupable. If there is somebody there the Oilers think can remotely become an "impact" player, they will simply trade an asset to get that pick. They don't stop scouting because they don't have a pick there.

Ken Holland had many years with Green, and believes he can provide some value to the team. Even if he's just insurance against injury, that's worth something. Many teams brought in depth d-men.

He gave up a very recoupable asset to bring him in. By any measure, Holland made a prudent management decision, a calculated risk. Whinging about such a measured transaction, involving a player Ken Holland would have profoundly more knowledge about than any of us is... Well... It sounds more like you're crossing your fingers hoping for Green to hurt the team, which is a bigger gamble than Holland is taking.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is kind of... I mean it's a very basic way of thinking.

The situation isn't just static until you turn on your TV for the draft. People actually keep working. A 4th round pick isn't just expendable because the odds are low for that player to be an NHL regular. It's also expendable because it's much more recoupable. If there is somebody there the Oilers think can remotely become an "impact" player, they will simply trade an asset to get that pick. They don't stop scouting because they don't have a pick there.

Ken Holland had many years with Green, and believes he can provide some value to the team. Even if he's just insurance against injury, that's worth something. Many teams brought in depth d-men.

He gave up a very recoupable asset to bring him in. By any measure, Holland made a prudent management decision, a calculated risk. Whinging about such a measured transaction, involving a player Ken Holland would have profoundly more knowledge about than any of us is... Well... It sounds more like you're crossing your fingers hoping for Green to hurt the team, which is a bigger gamble than Holland is taking.

I just don't want Green on the team.

I'd rather have Persson and Bouchard as emergency call ups for injury. I very much value experience but...

Green, from following his career here and there for a long time, just seems to be a very uninspiring player for a playoff run. His decline has been steady. He is not physical. He is not known as a leadership guy or locker room guy. I've heard he can still skate but have not seen it. I've heard he can still produce but have not seen it. I've heard he can still play the game and I just don't buy it.

Especially for potentially a third round pick or even a fourth when our second is gone and our third likely as well.

I really don't like that we benched Benning for Green and will be rather perturbed if in the playoffs we even consider healthy scratching Benning for Green.

IMHO Green is worth a 7th round pick at best and it concerns me if this organization thinks Green has any real value at the nhl level.

I have a sick feeling there is a chance Holland will even extend a contract to him this offseason.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Green, from following his career here and there for a long time, just seems to be a very uninspiring player for a playoff run. His decline has been steady. He is not physical. He is not known as a leadership guy or locker room guy. I've heard he can still skate but have not seen it. I've heard he can still produce but have not seen it. I've heard he can still play the game and I just don't buy it.

So you don't think Ken Holland, who watched Green play for 4 years, worked with him, watched him practice, spoke to him, spoke to his colleagues, his coaches, on a daily basis... You don't think that guy's opinion should give you any pause at all about your own opinion?

You literally think you know Mike Green's game better than Ken Holland?

Reactions: ZenOil

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So you don't think Ken Holland, who watched Green play for 4 years, worked with him, watched him practice, spoke to him, spoke to his colleagues, his coaches, on a daily basis... You don't think that guy's opinion should give you any pause at all about your own opinion?

You literally think you know Mike Green's game better than Ken Holland?

I think this is a hockey board full of opinions and assholes . Of which I am proudly one. I've heard more GM second guessing on here than straight shooting. I've watched hockey for 35+ years and been drafting yahoo fantasy teams since it started. I have had more than a passing interest in Greens career and at one point would have loved him on the Oilers.

My gut, and limited experience, says Green is done. I think Green is a sentimental add from Holland not one with winning hockey at its heart.

This isn't a hill to die on for me but after years of death by a thousand cuts I'm less inclined to let small f*** ups go without comment.

The line in the sand for me is Green should have practically been free if Holland really wanted him on the team. I'd be shocked to learn anyone else was interested in Green for a playoff push.

A buyout here, a thrown away pick there, a reach with a top ten pick, overpaying guys a mill here or there... I scrutinize these things more after a decade of darkness.

Having said all that Holland has proven wrong in spades this year and while I got to go with my instincts I hope I continue to be more wrong than right when it comes to things like this.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So by the morning skate lines that Stauffer posted, Yams is in, and Klefbom is not. Looks like Klefbom and Neal are both skating though. Hopefully Klefbom back soon. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since his injury was announced, and at the time it was announced as 2-3 weeks. Interesting that Neal is skating again, I thought he was shut down for a couple more weeks at least.

Edit: I was kinda right on Neal. On February 27th, Stauffer said Neal was around 2 weeks away.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Who knows, might have been just banged up last night or blocked a tough shot as he's well known to do.

They might have decided to not run him in back-to-backs as well, now that I think about it. He *is* just coming back from a concussion after all, maybe this is part of that on-going protocol? I am well out of my depth here though, talking about head-injuries, lol

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
He didn't finish last game so he probably is hurt more so than him being given every other game off. I though he was pretty terrible and that 1 giveaway last game could have changed the game dramatically.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

wait, you don’t think Mike Green is a NHL player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad