Injury Report: Injuries Thread | Bear (Head), Lagesson (Wrist), Kassian (Hand/Weeks), 4K (CollarBone/Months)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Sucks that it's looking like Klefbom, Sekera and Russell won't be back in time to make a difference.

Reactions: VainGretzky

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Why is Russell still out? Originally they were saying he’d probably be ready for the Tampa game but for sure after the break.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
full
Just need to put Larsson's face over Wolverine's.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007

Sekera going to be out longer than I was figuring, thought he was ready to go to the AHL ASAP

Reactions: MessierII

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Coming back from the injury Sekera suffered so quickly was always a bit of a pipe dream. Early to mid-February was always a reasonable time frame.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Coming back from the injury Sekera suffered so quickly was always a bit of a pipe dream. Early to mid-February was always a reasonable time frame.

I heard one journalist on Oilers now, said he's seen him in practice, and doubts at 32 years old after missing almost 2 seasons due to injury's, He will never be a big contributing factor to the Oilers defense again..

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I heard one journalist on Oilers now, said he's seen him in practice, and doubts at 32 years old after missing almost 2 seasons due to injury's, He will never be a big contributing factor to the Oilers defense again..

I mean hope for the best, but probably yeah his career will never be the same. One of those types of injuries is devastating enough and career altering for a 30+ year old player, but two in the span of two years is yikes.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The best we can hope for from Sekera is to be able to play 3rd pairing mins without being killed. He'll be another cap problem, but at least for only another 2 years

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The best we can hope for from Sekera is to be able to play 3rd pairing mins without being killed. He'll be another cap problem, but at least for only another 2 years
2 years AFTER This one. lol
After this season 2 more years of Sekera and Russell and 2 more of Lucic.

At this point I wonder if we should go into next season with a few M of cap space and bank of Sekera getting hurt and missing 1/2 of the year and make a trade for a 3-5M player on a contract year early on after the season starts and Sekera is formally put back on the LTIR.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
2 years AFTER This one. lol
After this season 2 more years of Sekera and Russell and 2 more of Lucic.

At this point I wonder if we should go into next season with a few M of cap space and bank of Sekera getting hurt and missing 1/2 of the year and make a trade for a 3-5M player on a contract year early on after the season starts and Sekera is formally put back on the LTIR.

Don't lump Russell in with the other two, not fair to him at all.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Don't lump Russell in with the other two, not fair to him at all.

I'm just saying the option is out there.
It's very unlikely, but there's still a chance that Sekera recovers from this and turns out to be just as good next season as we was before all these injuries started happening.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Stauffer was saying Sekera has no explosiveness in his step, it sounds like his first 3 strides are gone. That is a killer to any hockey player. Sekera will be back in February but it sounds like his skating is gonzo. Not sure if you can LTIR a guy whose skating is gone due to injury but is technically not injured anymore. I believe the Leafs did that with Robidas and Lupul, used their past injuries which impacted present performance to LTIR them. But the Leafs have Bettman stroking their ***** and the NHLPA holding their *****, so I doubt we get any leeway on how LTIR is interpreted around these parts.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Stauffer was saying Sekera has no explosiveness in his step, it sounds like his first 3 strides are gone. That is a killer to any hockey player. Sekera will be back in February but it sounds like his skating is gonzo. Not sure if you can LTIR a guy whose skating is gone due to injury but is technically not injured anymore. I believe the Leafs did that with Robidas and Lupul, used their past injuries which impacted present performance to LTIR them. But the Leafs have Bettman stroking their ***** and the NHLPA holding their *****, so I doubt we get any leeway on how LTIR is interpreted around these parts.

He’s just started skating after many months off - hopefully this is something that he can get back after training and just by more time on the ice. I’m not convinced at this point...

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He’s just started skating after many months off - hopefully this is something that he can get back after training and just by more time on the ice. I’m not convinced at this point...

I remember when Whitney lost his step after his ankle injury. Not sure Sekera gets it back. It’s hard to get that explosiveness back.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

That is really all we can hope for. He will be less than useless in all likelihood. If the minister of misinformation Stauffer is saying these things than you KNOW it's going to be really, REALLY, bad.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Let's hope so, skating was a big part of his game and one of the reasons he was so poor the last time that we saw him on the team.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Since the start of the 16-17 here is how important Klefbom is. Here are our team records considering him being healthy all of 16-17, playing through injury all of 17-18, and his healthy start this season and the games without him added on....

Healthy Klefbom

64-38-11 (113 Games, 139 pts 1.23pts per game)

Injured Klefbom

37-45-7 (89 Games, 81 pts 0.91pts per game)

Not only important that we get him back healthy, but hope we get another guy like him soon!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Our teams complete implosion with him out of the lineup is pretty telling of his worth.
To be fair, the team is a complete dump with 2-3 of our go-to-guys on D out. Doesn't mean Russell is necessarily better, it means imo that whenever we miss one or more out of our NHL level D able to handle more than 3rd pair (Klef, Lars, Sek, Russ, Nurse) we're in big trouble.

Edit: but yes, to be clear Russell has been/is definitely pulling his weight around here. He should not be dumped based on his play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad