Speculation: Injuries = hot sellers market for D?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
With all the recent injuries on top 4 defensemen around the league (Giordano, Jones, Rielly, Hamilton, Marino) and with a few "healthy" teams rumored to want to upgrade their top 4 (Vegas, Winnipeg), do you think a lot of defensemen will be moved at the deadline? I don't see many top 4 D available beside Vatanen/Martinez...

Do you think other top 4 Ds getting move, or just depth pieces? Which ones? Who's available? Any offers/matches that make sense?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We've been waiting for this to be so in Buffalo, yet the Canadian Hockey Punditry tell us now that even with the increased potential demand, that there is a glut of available defensemen. *shrug*

I would add Ristolainen, Montour, McCabe and Miller to your list of potentially moving defensemen. I'd mention Bogosian again, but the rumor of him being an NHL player is just that - a rumor. He's toast.

Reactions: Gabrielor

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Flames are not spending a lot of resources on d-men. Giordano is coming back soon. So is Valimaki.

Reactions: YP44

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I may be in the minority, but I think it's time to get up from the table and go cash in that pile of chips named Brady Skjei. I think we have alot coming down the pike that makes him expendable.

Reactions: bernmeister

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
With all the recent injuries on top 4 defensemen around the league (Giordano, Jones, Rielly, Hamilton, Marino) and with a few "healthy" teams rumored to want to upgrade their top 4 (Vegas, Winnipeg), do you think a lot of defensemen will be moved at the deadline? I don't see many top 4 D available beside Vatanen/Martinez...

Do you think other top 4 Ds getting move, or just depth pieces? Which ones? Who's available? Any offers/matches that make sense?
If the premise is "due to injuries", then rentals might get a little more...but i doubt teams will pay over market value for guys with term as eventually, their injured players will be back.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I really hope this is correct given the Sens will have Demelo (good) and Hainsey (bad) that should both be on the move.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Marino should be back in about 6 weeks from facial surgery. Might need to wear a cage, but hey he did that in college. He will deal. Get the kid a rest before the playoffs.

Pens probably aren't shopping for D, beyond maybe a veteran #9 to eat nachos. GMJR likes to carry a guy like that (Mark Streit for example) for emergencies.

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - Schultz
Riikola - Ruhwedel
Vet rental

That above is more than adequate. People just need to get healthy.

At W though, we are probably looking to bring in at least 1, maybe 2.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Marino should be back in about 6 weeks from facial surgery. Might need to wear a cage, but hey he did that in college. He will deal. Get the kid a rest before the playoffs.

Pens probably aren't shopping for D, beyond maybe a veteran #9 to eat nachos. GMJR likes to carry a guy like that (Mark Streit for example) for emergencies.

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - Schultz
Riikola - Ruhwedel
Vet rental

That above is more than adequate. People just need to get healthy.

At W though, we are probably looking to bring in at least 1, maybe 2.

IDK, we might want to be charitable and give some lucky team the one and only opportunity they might have to get their hands on Justin Schultz.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Stecher in my opinion should be available from the Canucks.

25 yrs old
Right shot Dman
Puck mover
defensively reliable

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Imagine if Petry was on the market...... Just imagine if MTL gm had any vision
its hard to sell off a major piece in which we have no direct replacements at all. Unless Petry returns a top 4 RHD top end prospect, Berge wont risk trading off Petry.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Canucks should package Stecher with Eriksson for future considerations

Stecher isnt enough for anyone to want to take in 2 more years of Eriksson.

Besides, i feel that Eriksson will retire after this season because the Canucks are going to waive him to the AHL next year and theres no way he will ride the AHL busses for whats left of his contract which is 5 mil. They will mutually part after this season. book it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Flames are not spending a lot of resources on d-men. Giordano is coming back soon. So is Valimaki.

I agree that the flames should not be spending resources because of the Gio injury, but even before he went down I thought that they should be looking to defensive help with term.

Martinez makes some sense in a vacuum for them but I do not know what (if any) picks/prospects BT will be moving.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs would be interested in Demelo or Dillon. Any other D 1st guys available? Prefer a RHD that can handle 2nd pair.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I agree that the flames should not be spending resources because of the Gio injury, but even before he went down I thought that they should be looking to defensive help with term.

Martinez makes some sense in a vacuum for them but I do not know what (if any) picks/prospects BT will be moving.

Why? Term? Why not just re-sign Brodie or Hamonic for free. Martinez is 32 and a left handed shot. He makes no sense in any kind of way.

The Flames have:

Brodie
Hamonic
Gio
Hanifin
Andersson
Valimaki
Kylington
Stone

Kylington, Giordano, Brodie, Hanifin, and Valimaki all shoot left. Trading for a 32 year old Martinez makes no sense.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018

Ghost will be available, needs a change of scenery for sure

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Makes no difference to Pittsburgh. Shultz ready to jump up to top 4 and dumo on way back shortly. Just like adding 2 top 4 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad