Injured Heavies

longsuffering

Oct 10, 2009
Boogard - Concussion, read that he is back riding bike, return questionable

Orr- Concussion, read that he is not doing well, possible career ender, return doubtful

Carkner - Knee problem, out for remainder of the season

This has not been a great year for the designated fighters, these 3 would in most lists be top five material, How do YOU rank the heavy weight division in light of these injuries/ non-activity?

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
George Parros.

Parros caught him with one, and they both fell, Orr landed face first on the ice.
Parros hasn't been impressive the last few years but he's having a comeback season. He even did well against MacIntyre a few weeks ago. He was just trying to survive but that's a smart strategy and he did a good job of tying Big Mac up.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Orr's career might be over?? Damn.
It's been more whispers than serious reports, but he apparently has a very serious concussion. Parros caught him with a decent shot but then fell on top of his back so that Orr's face slammed into the ice. He got up pretty quickly at the time and was only sort of shakey on his skates, nobody thought too much of it at the time, but that was on January 20th and there's still nothing resembling a timetable for his return. If he actually has a Savard level of concussion you'd have to think it would be a pretty bad idea for him to return to the NHL, considering his job in the NHL requires him to get regularly smoked in the face by mammoth sized men.

I highly doubt Ratis will ever play again.
Indeed, he took some serious shots from Big Mac, first game of the season wasn't it? These guys have a very tough job, with more and more heavyweights getting to be 6'4"+ and 230+ lbs of pure muscle this kind of stuff is bound to happen.

Last edited:

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Don't be surprised if Orr doesn't play again... The guy has been KO'ed quite a bit in the last year and half. Carker with 2, Parros, Shelley, Engelend.. I think I'm missing one..

That has to be a cause of concern for Leafs medical staff...

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Don't be surprised if Orr doesn't play again... The guy has been KO'ed quite a bit in the last year and half. Carker with 2, Parros, Shelley, Engelend.. I think I'm missing one..

I would agree with this. His jaw is gone. I guess getting KO'ed was the way we all knew he would go.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I would agree with this. His jaw is gone. I guess getting KO'ed was the way we all knew he would go.

It's not so much his jaw but he's taken a few on the right cheek like Engelland and Carkner that have put him out.

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Those are the only big KO's I believe, although it was only 1 for Carkner.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Boogaard also wasn't concussed from the punch he got, but getting thrown down by the guy he was fighting. Really need to do something about guys going for takedowns in hockey fights

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Boogaard also wasn't concussed from the punch he got, but getting thrown down by the guy he was fighting. Really need to do something about guys going for takedowns in hockey fights

Better fitting helmets would help alleviate the problem.

That being said, in situations such as Orr's, there's not much to do there, since he went down on his face.

straka91*

Im giving it to Thornton. Fought the best, did really good, a small heavy, and has yet to be injured.

I hope next season is better and less wimpy game callers get on air. Seems like every season we are getting closer and closer to the end of the heavy weight. :(

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Better fitting helmets would help alleviate the problem.

That being said, in situations such as Orr's, there's not much to do there, since he went down on his face.

I kinda blame the Leafs. When Englland turned his lights out that was like the third time in 9 mos. For as much time, resources, etc that the NHL puts into studying and monitoring concussions the Leafs should have protected the kid (I said something similar in another thread about Orr, I know). They know he is a warrior and will go all in and not back down to a challenge so they should have sat him out for an extended period. I knwo there is no set timeline but it's not like he needed to be right back out there in October.

I don't even like the guy but I hate to see someone that makes his livelyhood entertaining me by throwin bones with another guy have his career ended if it could have been prevented.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
A couple points related to above posts (in no particular order):

A) Just because a guys gets "KO'd" doesn't mean it is a concussion. Plus - define KO..... If a guy gets hammered by a punch (or multiple punches), and goes down - people watching on TV, or play by play guy says it was a knockout - is it really? Most of the time the guy gets back up and is good to go (wether it be next shift, next game, etc.) A true "KO" - see when a boxer gets dropper and is literally out cold for however many seconds. I honestly don't believe Orr was truly knocked out, stunned maybe. A true knock out is when Fedoruk got beat bad a while back, or Kypreos.

B) A lot of these tough guys being put on LTIR or have career threatening injuries - are usually not injured from absorbing a punch(es). Orr - face hit ice - large man landed on top, Boogard (I think) hurt his shoulder originally (someone did, maybe not him), a guy like Hall, though definately not an enforcer, severely sprains an ankle as a result of falling during a fight (this could happen to anyone).

C) You have to start to question having guys like Boogard, MacIntyre, maybe a guy like Westgarth too (best 2 or 3 examples I can come up with) in lineups. These guys are really not even 4th liners. They really aren't NHL standard average skaters even. There are scrappers like Thornton, Brown, Lucic who can thrown bombs, but still play. Having a guy 6'8", 275lbs (just an example) to sit on the bench "just in case" is kind of getting useless in today's game. Plus these guys are potentially a danger to other players. Yes, I know fighters know the risks involved, but this isn't the 1970's/80's anymore. This is coming from me, who usually enjoys a good fight, but there is a time and place for it.

D) Someone mentioned better fitting helmets. It's not the fit, it's if the players choose to wear it properly. Plus how this help the fighter who gets his helmet taken off by the other guy, or a punch, or guys who "go buckets off"?????

It's really too bad they don't make players anymore like Cam Neely, Wendel Clark, etc. Sure, I can score 30+ goals, and beat the snot out of everyone in between those goals!

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
They need to do something about the takedowns - people have been saying for years thats the most dangerous part of a fight.

Orr and Boogard are both out due to being slammed into the ice. I didn't see Orr's injusy, but Boogards was a pretty blatant hip takedown.

Maybe tack an additional 5 minutes on for a deliberate takedown, or a misconduct. There's safer ways to bail.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
The simple truth is, if they can't find a way to make fights safer (sounds odd, but true), then fights WILL be eliminated.

Concussions are up. The NHL isn't going to have a choice, they are going to need to take strides to reduce them. They will end up tweaking the hit to the head rules. I'm sure fights will come under the microscope. Extra penalties for the risky things surrounding fights may be necessary.

5 minutes for an intentional takedown (they are usually pretty blatant, should be easy to call).

I could even live with 10 minute misconducts for staged fights. Not sure how much that would matter though since the guys who are usually in staged fights won't be missed for those 10 minutes anyway.

jnyman

Jan 26, 2011
Taylor, FLORIDA
Like Thordic said the takedowns are what is bad. In my opinion a takedown is a bail out move . Pure and simple. It's a way out for the guy. If you don't want to fight any more grab on. Don't try to take the guy down with a hip toss or a double leg takedown. You aren't getting any points for it you little puss. Be a man and just grab the other player and say "I give, You're kicking my ass". But don't try to end the guys career with a Judo toss. A takedown is a way to bailout of a fight plan and simple. Just my two cents. I can't stand to see it and it just pisses me right off to no end.
I"ll end my rant now sorry guys I didn't mean to interrupt your thread.:soap:

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Like Thordic said the takedowns are what is bad. In my opinion a takedown is a bail out move . Pure and simple. It's a way out for the guy. If you don't want to fight any more grab on. Don't try to take the guy down with a hip toss or a double leg takedown. You aren't getting any points for it you little puss. Be a man and just grab the other player and say "I give, You're kicking my ass". But don't try to end the guys career with a Judo toss. A takedown is a way to bailout of a fight plan and simple. Just my two cents. I can't stand to see it and it just pisses me right off to no end.
I"ll end my rant now sorry guys I didn't mean to interrupt your thread.:soap:

Agreed 100%. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->