Initiations

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by NJDevs430, Jan 15, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. NJDevs430

NJDevs430 Registered User

Home Page:
    I went to the public skate the other day and someone skated up to me and asked if I played. I told him not really (don't know why I wasn't completely truthful and say not at all); then he invited me to what he called a "friendly" game of pick-up. He told me that no one took advantage of the beginners and finally said "Do me a favor and show up..."
    So I'm seriouly thinking of showing up. I've finally acquired the requisite armor and it was my third invitation to play, but the first by someone who I didn't already know and who'd actually seen me skate; so I either impressed him or he saw that he could skate circles around me.
    No - you start on the other team.
    Oh ****!
    Are there any newbie-initiation type things I should be on the look-out for like "new guy buys the beer". Do you have any experiences of initiations you were part of first-hand?

}:)>

PS - We'll see how friendly it remains when the guys on my team see how much I suck.

2. Doctor Hook

Doctor Hook Registered User

Insurance
    Go check it out, what do you have to lose. Unless this is high school, I doubt they'll have some sort of initiation. Maybe expect some good natured razzing, though.

3. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    Most pickup hockey initiations involve a cactus and a woven basket full of KY.

4. Slick

Slick Registered User

Mechanical Engineer
    I'm sure it's just a bunch of guys who rent out the ice every week. Sometimes when you get into a routine of doing that, you'll get guys that stop showing up and the others want to keep playing. Unfortunately when you rent out the ice the less guys the more you have to pay, so when you aren't getting good showings and it's not as much fun (or they're paying too much), you invite more people. Not everyone knows many others who play (except for the guys you meet through open hockey, etc), public skate isn't a bad place. If you notice someone with hockey skates that aren't rentals it usually means they play a bit.

Go have fun, you were invited it's not like you're prying on someones time.

5. Puckboy

Puckboy Registered User

Home Page:
    Bring a cooler full of beer that is always appreciatate

6. MikeD

MikeD Registered User

Machinist
    Home Page:
    You will ALWAYS hear "new guy buys the beer"...lol Your only a new guy once. Then its typically a rotation or BYOB. Should there be any other crazy/
    stupid crap...dont tolerate such BS. Last thing you want is to be considered a push over!

7. WashCapsfan4life8

WashCapsfan4life8 Registered User

pick up is fun hehe pick up here theres basically no rules:) except no cheap crap and a few minor rules

8. Muttley*

Muttley* Guest

Yes, and the good stuff too. And don't put room temperature beer in the cooler at last minute!

9. Slick

Slick Registered User

Mechanical Engineer
    That's what happened to me at a New Year's party. The host put all the beers in the fridge a few hours before and they were ALL still warm.

10. nni

nni Registered User

no initiation for a pickup game, college sure, not a local pickup.

11. Miami Panther

Miami Panther Registered User

According to Mythbusters, salt water and ice is the way to go unless you want to use a fire extinguisher. I have tried this myself (for water bottles) and it works like magic. It takes under 5 minutes to get it to around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. pretty crazy if you ask me.

12. Muttley*

Muttley* Guest

lol, yeah but ya still drank it anyway, right?

13. Gino 14

Gino 14 Registered User

The best things to do for a pickup game is remember to skate hard while on the ice, get off when you're tired, and bring a light and dark jersey. If there are any initiations, I'd be careful to avoid such a group, unless it's limited to who buys. As stated earlier, they may just be looking for bodies.

14. RJ8812*

RJ8812* Guest

just show up, have a good time, and bring beer

15. Slick

Slick Registered User

Mechanical Engineer
    Of course, it was free! He had plenty of Guiness which isn't bad warm, anyway.

Off Topic, but I had Cambridge Seasonal draft yesterday in Boston before the game...and it's amazing. Has anyone else tried it from the area?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  16. NJDevs430

NJDevs430 Registered User

Home Page:
    First of all, I want to thank you all for your responses.
    I'm really not a good judge of beer becuase I don't drink it. I can't drink a lot of alcohol, so when I do drink it's usually stuff like 151, ouzo, etc... Besides, it was a weeknight that ended at 11:30 and everyone had to drive home, and these guys didn't seem to me to be the drunk-driving types.
    Anyway...I either angered or saddened the gods of hockey the other night.
    }:-(>
    It's really hard to play hockey when you're busy playing pick-your-***-up-off-the-ice all night. I bumped into a few people accidentally and knocked one of my own guys down. It felt like I'd never skated before, and damn that puck sure moves fast! Even when it moved slowly was moving faster than me. I had no balance with the stick at all and couldn't get my feet to move when I wanted them to. I didn't really get hurt badly, but that was only because I was wearing the Bauer USS Nimitz shoulder pads. But I did sort of twist my back out of shape. Luckily, I packed aspirin in my bag. Good thing I don't have any pride, or it would've gotten beat up badly.
    My fellow skaters were encouraging and supportive and told me that I shouldn't despair. But they asked me for my e-mail, so I guess they may invite me back.
    Thanks again everyone!

17. Changeiscoming

Changeiscoming Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity
    WHen I played JR B in Edmonton--we made the rookies run from the coaches house to the arena just in their under wear..

5k in Edmonton in Feb

always fun

18. Marns

Marns Registered User

Home Page:
    :D Love that part especially!

But salt melts ice. How does that work?

19. triggrman

triggrman Registered User

Home Page:
    This should be a standard rule written down for any new invite to pick-up. We've had the same group playing for years and yet I still here "I didn't bring a white".....

20. Slick

Slick Registered User

Mechanical Engineer
    Sounds like me my first time. You'll pick it up in no time. It always seems overwhelming at first, but you'll adjust quick if you have the desire to play. Keep your head up, you seem to have a good attitude towards it. The other guys should try and get you the puck to get your confidence up and get you used to the speed of the game, don't be afraid of losing the puck or anything just get comfortable with having it and the rest will come naturally.

Also, drinking 151 may be the reason you can't drink alot! That stuffs brutal.

21. MikeD

MikeD Registered User

Machinist
    Home Page:
    Salt melts ice because it lowers the freeze point. With a cooler that means water to take the heat from the beer at lower temps=faster chilling time.

jet powered beer cooler...pretty funny

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/

22. Muttley*

Muttley* Guest

:amazed: the good stuff :amazed: