InGoal Magazine: New James Reimer Mask Features ‘Blueprint of Optimus Reim’

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://ingoalmag.com/masks/transformer-optimus-reimer-featured-on-new-maple-leafs-mask/

Toronto goaltender James Reimer began his mask transformation late last season, switching to images of Transformer Optimus Prime as it became clear the ‘Optimus Reims’ nickname that was bestowed on him by Maple Leafs fans, and included a line of t-shirts, was going to stick.

Reimer’s new mask for 2013 sticks with the Transformers theme, detailing what artist David Gunnarsson of DaveArt called, the “blueprint of Optimus Reim.â€

“This is something totally different. From a distance it’s a clean and classic Leafs design, but this mask is just as the Transformers slogan: More than meets the eye,†Gunnarsson wrote. “First you may see the classic flames on the chin, and that reminds of a special truck … a truck that can transform into something else … And when you come really close the mask will be transformed into the blueprint of Optimus Reim, the instructions how Optimus Reim is built. And there is so much more to discover, you will also find the Toronto skyline, and for sure there is Optimus Reim watching over the city. The electrical lightning all over the mask is describing the electrical feeling James has when he enters the ice in the arena.â€

Reimer switched to the Transformer theme last spring, after starting the season with a mask that featured famed Hockey Night in Canada broadcasters Ron MacLean and Don Cherry, and while the new mask photos don’t include the backplate, he has traditionally stuck with a celebration of his Christian faith and an image of Jesus pulling Peter out of the water and a reference to the bible verse from Matthew 14:31, which Reimer explained in the original edition of InGoal Magazine two seasons ago.

Reimer’s new mask also includes something of a transformation on the inside. He is wearing a new Bauer prototype that includes the same “Re-AKT†technology used in their player helmet, with an inner liner that allows the outside to twist with heavy side, or rotational impact, before taking the head and neck with it. Reimer hopes the new mask will prevent a repeat of last season, when he missed most of the year with a neck injury that included concussion symptoms because of a blow to the side of the head.

InGoal detailed Reimer’s recovery – he played through symptoms he didn’t fully realize were there until a manual therapist “turned lights back on†over the summer – and the new prototype mask in the January edition of InGoal Magazine.

Image-91.jpg

Image-72.jpg

Image-62.jpg

Image-81.jpg

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Reimer is a goalie, so I think this trick stuff is a little out of place. I Like the Optimus reim name and logo, but think it shouldn't be so busy with the little trucks and skyline etc.

Otherwise, I do like the big leaf and the color scheme.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I love the mask. The only thing holding it back a little is the flames on the chin. Not a fan of flames on objects, it has a hillbilly vibe to it lol.

Lansdown

Feb 1, 2007
Toronto
not a fan of flames either unless it's on a 1985 trans am. not huge on the optimus reim thing in general but the detailing on this is incredibly intricate. one other thing that always bugs me is when people reproduce pictures of the skyline from around 2004. you can tell it's old because the citibank building to the east of the cn tower should be flanked on either side by the taller ritz carlton hotel and the new rbc dexia building. excepting that it's a very pretty mask.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Probably the nicest mask he's had, actually.

I hope whichever fan art came up with the Optimus Prime/Goalie mask logo hybrid is getting his fair share.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
not a fan of flames either unless it's on a 1985 trans am. not huge on the optimus reim thing in general but the detailing on this is incredibly intricate.

I haven't really been on board with the nickname either, but that silhouette of Optimus Prime standing on the side of the helmet looks awesome. I dig it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Probably the nicest mask he's had, actually.

I hope whichever fan art came up with the Optimus Prime/Goalie mask logo hybrid is getting his fair share.

It'd be nice if his whole mask was just that Optimus Reim logo and just do away with all the intricate detailing that you can't even see.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Love that he's embraced the fans and the Optimus Reims title.

Every time I see that on the side of his mask, I think "there's a guy who cares about the fans"

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm not big on the whole transformer thing but that is a sharp looking lid regardless.

The colours are bang on, the leaf up top is a beaut, the autobot/goaliemask symbol on the chin looks tight, and the detailing, while mostly invisible, gives depth to the colours anyways....and the skyline shot is a perfect touch.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Reimer is a goalie, so I think this trick stuff is a little out of place. I Like the Optimus reim name and logo, but think it shouldn't be so busy with the little trucks and skyline etc.

Otherwise, I do like the big leaf and the color scheme.

No way man that's an awesome mask, like designer said from a distance it looks like a classic Leafs logo, but when you look closer you can see all the details. I hope Reimer sticks around and proves he's a number 1 goalie in Toronto, big fan of Optimus Reim.

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
It'd be nice if his whole mask was just that Optimus Reim logo and just do away with all the intricate detailing that you can't even see.

i think the intricate detailing is for him, not you. a nice piece of art work to show off in the room.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Looks sick IMO, but I think he should keep "Reims" somewhere on it, he's seemed to really like that throughout his career.

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
Not a fan of the flames or the lightning. Those seem like generic DaveArt elements. Having said that, I like the piping and the Leaf.

I wonder what James' mask would look like if he had embraced Joe Bowen's "Reim-inister of Defense" nick name. :amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad