OT: Infos about skiing in British Columbia

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Hey guys, I am a German Bolts fan, but that is not why I am on your board.

I am 18 years old and currently make my ski instructor qualification. My dream is to work in Canada as Ski instructor for next winter (14/15) and I would like to ask wether any of you might have some good contacts for me, where I might get a job.

I would also appreciate other infos, like good ski resorts, which might have interest in a German instructor or any other tips that might help me to achieve my dream.
There shouldn't be much problems to get a visa, as it works first come first serve, but I don't know too much about being a ski instructor in Canada and the requirements needed to be one.

Thanks in advance for all the informations some of you hopefully have for me.

SpecialK139

Bo Hor-fat
Aug 8, 2012
Burnaby
Welcome!

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but on the west coast (in British Columbia) Whistler is the #1 destination for locals and international travelers, and I know lots of places there like hiring internationally for many of the touristy areas (not 100% about instructors, but I'd assume it would be the same). There are other mountains more local such as Grouse, Cypress, and Seymour; and if you go east in BC there is Big White.

No contacts to offer you unfortunately, but best of luck finding employment! If you haven't already, give the eastern boards a shout. Might be a little bit closer to home and they have some good Ski resorts out there I believe.

Good luck to you! :)

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Met a German guy the other day who came to work at either Grouse, Seymour or Cypress. Can't remember exactly which one but you should give all 3 a shot.

Good luck :nod:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I am quite the avid skiier, and here are my thoughts:

Whistler - The Roxy of BC mountains. Great party atmosphere, terribly overcrowded, snow conditions range from good to bad depending on where you ski, it definitely has the most money put in to it's amenities out of all the mountains I've been to. If you are a casual skiier and a hard partier, this is the place to be. Never seen so many Aussies and Kiwis in my life! 7/10.

Seymour - More low-key and old-fashioned than most mountains. It's a great place if you are a beginner skiier/snowboarder, a great place to teach your kids how to ski/board. It has a tow rope and a couple chairs. Not that much variety in runs, IIRC. It has a lodge/pub, at least it did last time I went. It's pretty quaint, overall. Nothing wrong with that though. 5.5/10.

Cypress - A mix of what Whistler and Seymour bring respectively. It definitely does not lack a variety in runs, however the place is really popular that in the January/February days when it's sunny and cool on the mountains, the good runs get the snow pushed off to the side and ice forms right down the middle of seemingly every run. Not my favourite. There is a lodge and a restaurant there as well as a nice ski shop. But most importantly, this mountain has a little something for everyone. That said, scenery is nothing to gawk at. If you are a glade skiier like myself, it's not the best place to go. 5.5/10.

Silverstar - We got a bit further inland, the snow is drier, the trees are in abundance, and there is a bit more room to move around. It has lots of kids on this mountain, I believe Silverstar has a good kids program where the kids get taken care of and are taught the fundamentals of skiing while the parents do their own thing. However this doesn't really deter intermediate level skiiers from having lots of fun. It has a nice village too. 6.5/10.

Sun Peaks - This is the little slice of skiing heaven in BC, IMO. Dry snow where it's necessary and wet snow where it's necessary. Due to the popularity of some runs, you'll find what I call 'the Cypress effect' to take place, lots of ice straight done the middle of some runs, however it's no affliction if you love to adventure through the glades. Trees are in heavy abundance, the intermediate runs are groomed daily, and has lots of carved out side-trail and jumps. Sundance and Mt. Tod are some of my favourite places to ski. Lots of chairs, a nice area for kids, on most days surprisingly good weather. It has an excellent village and hotels with a myriad of pubs and restaurants , if you play your cards right you can ski/board right down to your hotel room. 10/10; would bang.

Again, these are the mountains I've done the majority of my skiing on recently. You'll do well to look into Big White, from what I've heard. Red Mountain in the interior is pretty dated though, from what my parents have told me.

Happy skiing/boarding!

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Welcome!

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but on the west coast (in British Columbia) Whistler is the #1 destination for locals and international travelers, and I know lots of places there like hiring internationally for many of the touristy areas (not 100% about instructors, but I'd assume it would be the same). There are other mountains more local such as Grouse, Cypress, and Seymour; and if you go east in BC there is Big White.

No contacts to offer you unfortunately, but best of luck finding employment! If you haven't already, give the eastern boards a shout. Might be a little bit closer to home and they have some good Ski resorts out there I believe.

Good luck to you! :)

Thanks for the infos,

I hope to be able to work in one of the bigger resorts, so I would prefer resorts like Whistler (my dream destination as a friend of mine was there and loved it), Fernie or Big White as well as the Banff region. It's just more interesting to work in bigger resorts as you have more options for a whole winter. But I don't know anything about the resorts other than that those are the bigger ones.
I really haven't found any big resorts outside of BC and 2 or 3 in Alberta. Are there any big resorts more in the east than Alberta? I would want a English speaking region, as i really can't stand the French language (have some bad memories about living in France).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you're already certified in Germany (DLSV is your body there I think?) then you shouldn't have any problems.

Just get your Canadian working holiday visa sorted well ahead of time and then send your resume to every resort in British Columbia next spring. Most should have a snow school contact listed on their website, and if not email the resort and they should provide it. Most hiring takes place in late spring/early summer.

Largest ski resorts in BC would be :

Whistler/Blackcomb
Silver Star
Big White
Mt. Washington
Sun Peaks
Panorama
Apex
Revelstoke
Red (small ski school, hard to get into)
Whitewater
Fernie
... and the Vancouver local hills, which are kinda lame.

Don't just apply at one or two areas - hit them all. If more than one gives you an offer, then you can pick and choose. And make your resume stand out - include photos of yourself, etc., or even videos of you skiing if you have them. Do what you can to show that you have a positive attitude and are passionate about skiing.

Being German won't be a problem anywhere, as long as your English is decent (which it seems to be). If anything it separates you from the hordes of English/Aussie instructors wanting to work in Canada.

Good luck!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Again, these are the mountains I've done the majority of my skiing on recently. You'll do well to look into Big White, from what I've heard. Red Mountain in the interior is pretty dated though, from what my parents have told me.

Happy skiing/boarding!

Ha, your parents are wrong!

Red has the best combination of absolutely sick terrain coupled with old-school ski town vibe in Canada. Chairs are old, but if you're a hardcore high-level skier there are few places better.

However, for the OP, there's no way a foreign teenage instructor is getting hired at Red - small snow school of very highly certified pros.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Ha, your parents are wrong!

Red has the best combination of absolutely sick terrain coupled with old-school ski town vibe in Canada. Chairs are old, but if you're a hardcore high-level skier there are few places better.

However, for the OP, there's no way a foreign teenage instructor is getting hired at Red - small snow school of very highly certified pros.

Ah, that was it. They hated the chairs. I wouldn't know anything about Red other than what my parents told me, when skiied there in the late 70s.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Im from Kelowna so Im biased, but Big White is a great resort.

I would guess that about 50% of the employees are not Canadian so I would assume your chances of getting hired are pretty good. Every employee actually has a name tag that says their name, and home town because there are so many people from all around the world. Its a decent sized resort, but its no Whistler (as far as size). Its has a cool environment to it as well and I find it has an overall friendly vibe.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Mount Washington on Vancouver Island is great. Smaller than some others mentioned, but still a great place to ski and work.

Many of the employees are international, as well.

steamtrain

Mar 12, 2006
West Coast
What kind of terrain do you like to ski?

Whistler Blackcomb is on a different level than everything else - yeah, it gets busy, but midweek is usually quiet and if you're working for snow school you get to jump the line anyway. It has everything, the terrain is unbeatable, and it's the centre of the Canadian shred industry. There's no comparable. Also, not sure if you'll have a car, but Whistler is probably the easiest hill in BC to be car-less.

Sun Peaks, Silver Star and Big White are all pretty similar. Lots of groomers, consistent snow, but the terrain is kinda lame if you like big mountain / alpine.

The hills in eastern BC are all pretty rad. Good mix of terrain, very low key and relaxed - like everything in the Kootenays. Don't know how big the snow schools are though. Revelstoke, Kicking Horse and Whitewater are standouts for me, but I've never hit Fernie or Red in good conditions.

Source: pro ski/snowboard photographer.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Ski Smithers has the best bang for your buck, and if Dan Hamhuis posted on here I'm sure he'd agree!

...Not the type of place the OP is looking for though ;)

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
First of thanks for all the great and very helpfull answers this was exactly what I was hoping for when I started the thread

If you're already certified in Germany (DLSV is your body there I think?) then you shouldn't have any problems.
Well not exactly, there are multiple ways to get a licence in Germany either the DSLV (which you mean) or the DSV and I make it in the local version of the DSV.
The licence I have is not an international licence, it's the lowest licence in the German ski teacher system, but due to my age (18) I am not able to have a higher licence yet anyway.
If I read right getting a licence in Canada is very easy as it's just a few days of theory, is that right?
In Germany even the basic licence I have already takes at least two winters.

What kind of terrain do you like to ski?

Whistler Blackcomb is on a different level than everything else - yeah, it gets busy, but midweek is usually quiet and if you're working for snow school you get to jump the line anyway. It has everything, the terrain is unbeatable, and it's the centre of the Canadian shred industry. There's no comparable. Also, not sure if you'll have a car, but Whistler is probably the easiest hill in BC to be car-less.

Sun Peaks, Silver Star and Big White are all pretty similar. Lots of groomers, consistent snow, but the terrain is kinda lame if you like big mountain / alpine.

The hills in eastern BC are all pretty rad. Good mix of terrain, very low key and relaxed - like everything in the Kootenays. Don't know how big the snow schools are though. Revelstoke, Kicking Horse and Whitewater are standouts for me, but I've never hit Fernie or Red in good conditions.

Source: pro ski/snowboard photographer.
As of now I plan to be car-less in this time so this should really be a factor in my decision.

I am mostly your classic very good and powerful european skier. I have a pair of race skis and drive on flattened but steep runs. I love driving on them because I absolutly love speed, but I also really like going into the deep fresh powder, there are just sooo few places to go into the powderin Europe.. :( The ONLY ski resort in Germany which has some good runs with powder is the Zugspitze, but it's a really small ski resort...

So part of going to Canada is the powder, I want to learn being as strong in the powder as I am on the runs.

After all the perfect ski resort for me would have a mix of some great flattened runs and lots of powder runs.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
First of thanks for all the great and very helpfull answers this was exactly what I was hoping for when I started the thread

Well not exactly, there are multiple ways to get a licence in Germany either the DSLV (which you mean) or the DSV and I make it in the local version of the DSV.
The licence I have is not an international licence, it's the lowest licence in the German ski teacher system, but due to my age (18) I am not able to have a higher licence yet anyway.
If I read right getting a licence in Canada is very easy as it's just a few days of theory, is that right?

As of now I plan to be car-less in this time so this should really be a factor in my decision.

I am mostly your classic very good and powerful european skier. I have a pair of race skis and drive on flattened but steep runs. I love driving on them because I absolutly love speed, but I also really like going into the deep fresh powder, there are just sooo few places to go into the powderin Europe.. :( The ONLY ski resort in Germany which has some good runs with powder is the Zugspitze, but it's a really small ski resort...

So part of going to Canada is the powder, I want to learn being as strong in the powder as I am on the runs.

After all the perfect ski resort for me would have a mix of some great flattened runs and lots of powder runs.

Random question: What kind of ski's do you have?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, knew you didn't have the international cert. What you have sounds like it probably equates to the CSIA L1 or a little higher - I know the Austrian entry level is closer to the Canadian L2.

And yeah, the Canadian L1 is very easy - 4 days on snow, learn beginner progression, show you can ski kind of OK.

Jacko95 said:

As others have indicated, the resorts with the best terrain are not the resorts where you're most likely to be employed (Whistler excepted).

Red/Whitewater/Kicking Horse have wicked terrain but are smaller hills with mostly expert skiers and smaller snow schools as a result.

Silver Star/Big White/Sun Peaks/Mt. Washington are bigger resorts with a high volume of families and beginners and bigger snow schools with lots of international staff ... but the terrain is more average. All are fun resorts with good groups of people though, and you'll still get a bunch of powder days. The terrain at the worst BC resort still blows away anything on the East coast of North America.

Again, the best thing you can do is apply everywhere and see what happens. Any of these places will be great fun and be a great experience for someone coming over from Europe. Even if you don't end up at your first choice (Whistler), spending a year somewhere else will gain experience for you and open doors in the future.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Maybe look into Lake Louise, I know they host a lot of world championships so there may be need of some international help.

My personal favourite is Big White. The tree line is thin so it makes skiing through them a lot of fun. Plus it always has some of the best powder.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops

Excellent question, the second should be how much money do you have to buy powder boards?

If your goal is to go to a big resort then Whistler is your main choice and will give you the Powder you desire. Good transportation system to get you around. Knowing Garmisch-Partenkirchen pretty much every resort in BC, minus Whistler, will be smaller or similar size.

If you want the small town feel then go to the Kootenays. I used to live, breathe, ski Whitewater growing up in Nelson. It's small but the snow can't be beat by any mountain (Yes, Red/Revelstoke have more terrain) but consistent 30 cm + days are far more frequent at Whitewater. The ski school isn't very large but consistent American clients from Spokane.

I would contact all the resorts to see if they have any room. If you want a big ski school and on hill accommodations for yourself go with:

Whistler
Silver Star (Vernon)
Sun Peaks (Kamloops)
Big White (Kelowna)

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
My first pair are 2012 Fischer RC4 Worldcup SC Pro (the public version of the Slalom Worldcup ski).
And I will buy a pair of Völkl Mantra, which should be very good
in the powder while still make fun on flattened runs. Depending on how good they are on flattened snow I might leave the Fischer at home, but there will be enough time to decide till next year

Yeah, knew you didn't have the international cert. What you have sounds like it probably equates to the CSIA L1 or a little higher - I know the Austrian entry level is closer to the Canadian L2.

And yeah, the Canadian L1 is very easy - 4 days on snow, learn beginner progression, show you can ski kind of OK.

The German C-level (entry level) consists of 2 days skiing in the first winter as well as 4 days of theory in summer and 8 days on ski the next winter, which ends with a theoretical, technical and teaching exam.

As others have indicated, the resorts with the best terrain are not the resorts where you're most likely to be employed (Whistler excepted).

Silver Star/Big White/Sun Peaks/Mt. Washington are bigger resorts with a high volume of families and beginners and bigger snow schools with lots of international staff ... but the terrain is more average. All are fun resorts with good groups of people though, and you'll still get a bunch of powder days. The terrain at the worst BC resort still blows away anything on the East coast of North America.

Again, the best thing you can do is apply everywhere and see what happens. Any of these places will be great fun and be a great experience for someone coming over from Europe. Even if you don't end up at your first choice (Whistler), spending a year somewhere else will gain experience for you and open doors in the future.

The great snow conditions are the biggest reason why I think BC would be the best choice to go in NA for me, of course being 10 hours behind on the clock isn't the best thing but I am not a family person anyways and always wanted to be out of home and experience live in other countrys. My Mom already jokes, because she is not sure wether I will come back or stay in Canada after the journey is over :laugh:

I think the resorts you mentioned (Silver Star,...) should be the most interesting for me, but as you said I will apply to as many schools as possible. It's easier to say no to 10 schools after they wanted me than makeing the trip without a sure place to work.

Excellent question, the second should be how much money do you have to buy powder boards?

If your goal is to go to a big resort then Whistler is your main choice and will give you the Powder you desire. Good transportation system to get you around. Knowing Garmisch-Partenkirchen pretty much every resort in BC, minus Whistler, will be smaller or similar size.

If you want the small town feel then go to the Kootenays. I used to live, breathe, ski Whitewater growing up in Nelson. It's small but the snow can't be beat by any mountain (Yes, Red/Revelstoke have more terrain) but consistent 30 cm + days are far more frequent at Whitewater. The ski school isn't very large but consistent American clients from Spokane.

I would contact all the resorts to see if they have any room. If you want a big ski school and on hill accommodations for yourself go with:

Whistler
Silver Star (Vernon)
Sun Peaks (Kamloops)
Big White (Kelowna)

I was born in Garmisch and half my family still lives there. So this is basically my home hill. The size of the resort is decent, but the rest is just horrible, so as long as the resorts in BC are more fun to ski i will love them. Garmisch is really one of the worst ski resorts in the alps (at least of the bigger and more famous ones).

To Whitewater: I think I would prefer a little bigger city, as there will be more international guests and I think it will be easier to use your free time. It's also generally easier to live car-less in bigger towns.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My first pair are 2012 Fischer RC4 Worldcup SC Pro (the public version of the Slalom Worldcup ski).
And I will buy a pair of Völkl Mantra, which should be very good
in the powder while still make fun on flattened runs. Depending on how good they are on flattened snow I might leave the Fischer at home, but there will be enough time to decide till next year

Bring both pairs.

Skiing 120 days/year on one pair of skis sucks. You'll miss your WC slaloms if you don't have them. I only had my fatter skis in NZ for awhile and it was awful most days.

Teaching you generally want to be on some sort of twin tip because you're skiing switch so much.

The German C-level (entry level) consists of 2 days skiing in the first winter as well as 4 days of theory in summer and 8 days on ski the next winter, which ends with a theoretical, technical and teaching exam.

Yeah, that sounds similar to the Austrian entry level, and closer to our L2. Depends on the resort, but there's a good chance you'd start as a L2 equivalent on the pay scale.

I think the resorts you mentioned (Silver Star,...) should be the most interesting for me, but as you said I will apply to as many schools as possible. It's easier to say no to 10 schools after they wanted me than makeing the trip without a sure place to work.

Yeah, exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->