INFO PLEASE: Is Immonen (NYR) gonna be good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

If he makes it, Jarkko may be a decent enough NHL player.

At best a 2nd liner, realistically a 3rd.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I've spoken with numerous people who have seen him. Said he sees the ice extremely well (an "elite leve" is what some said to me), more of a playmaker than a sniper, needs to work on his defense some. But should come over next season to the AHL. I haven't heard anyone say he will be a 3rd liner. He doesn't have the defense for that, hes 3rd in the finish league in scoring so hes a offensive player. I've only heard he should be a 2nd liner from the numerous people I've listened to -- who are all normal fans like us. We'll see, nice pickup.

leafaholix*

NYRangers said:
I've spoken with numerous people who have seen him. Said he sees the ice extremely well (an "elite leve" is what some said to me), more of a playmaker than a sniper, needs to work on his defense some. But should come over next season to the AHL. I haven't heard anyone say he will be a 3rd liner. He doesn't have the defense for that, hes 3rd in the finish league in scoring so hes a offensive player. I've only heard he should be a 2nd liner from the numerous people I've listened to -- who are all normal fans like us. We'll see, nice pickup.
I don't think he has the physical presence or defensive game to be a 2nd liner, maybe not on a contender. Possibly on a lesser or much younger team than what I'm used to watching.

Still, a good prospect.

His vision, hands, and passing skills are elite.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Carl O'Steen said:
I don't think he has the physical presence or defensive game to be a 2nd liner, maybe not on a contender. Possibly on a lesser or much younger team than what I'm used to watching.

Still, a good prospect.

? A ton of 1st/2nd liners aren't physical or defensive at all. Come to think of it, most aren't.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Will be a mediocre 1st liner or great 2nd liner if he maximizes his potential. However, there is a good possibility he won't reach his full potential and in that case he won't make the NHL. There is no way he will make the NHL as a prototypical 3rd liner. If he makes the NHL, it will be because he is a skilled scoring forward. Maybe a team might spread out its offense on all four lines and insert him on the 3rd line, otherwise, he shouldn't be confused with guys like Draper, Ricci, etc...

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Carl O'Steen said:

Still, a good prospect.

Immonen won't be a 3rd liner. He's just not good enough defensively. He'll either be a second liner, or then he won't make it.

leafaholix*

NYRangers said:
? A ton of 1st/2nd liners aren't physical or defensive at all. Come to think of it, most aren't.
I think he's a very good talent, but I haven't (even during his days as a Leaf) been able to see him as a top line talent. Realistically I see him as a 3rd line player if he shores up his defensive game, with a ceiling as a 2nd line centre... he's surely not a top line centre, atleast not right now.

We have seen more than a couple Fins come over in the last couple years after putting up great numbers at the same age as Jarkko, not many of them have had success so far.

Eero Somervuori had 48 points at age 22, 45 points at age 23. He's now back in Finland for the lockout, but spent the entire 2003/04 season in Hamilton of the AHL.

Tommi Santala, 40 points at age 21, 22 (in 17 games) at age 22, 51 points at age 23. Spent the majority of his rookie season in the AHL. Producing nicely with Chicago of the AHL now.

Antti Miettinen, tore up the Finnish league at ages 21 and 22. Scored 1 point in 16 NHL games after moving over the pond in 2003 and is now coming off a long injury with Hamilton of the AHL.

leafaholix*

Diaboli said:
Immonen won't be a 3rd liner. He's just not good enough defensively. He'll either be a second liner, or then he won't make it.
If he improves defensively, I see him as a very similar player to what Robert Reichel was with the Maple Leafs.

- tremendous skill
- good pk'er because of mobility and vision
- can produce from time to time
- softish perimetre player

I saw them play in an exhibition game against a Swedish team and it was almost like watching Reichel out there. Tremendous skill, but not physical enough to make it happen for himself.

AG9NK35DT8*

Carl O'Steen said:

Still, a good prospect.

You first post he is a border line 2nd liner and realistically a 3rd liner u say,anyway usually the 3rd line is your defensive line but anyway . I never knew you cant be a 2nd liner if didnt have a physical and a defensive game mean while you state he has ELITE SKILLS [ usually a player with those elite skills would be a 2nd liner, right? or aam i wrong :shakehead ]. you are saying one thing then saying another Plenty of guys in the NHL dont posses either of those skills and are still 2nd liners.

Ok so my main point is in your first post you say he is realistically a 3rd liner at best. than again in this post you state that he dont have the physical presence or d-game to be a second liner. But then you state he has, well let me quote you "His vision, hands, and passing skills are elite.[/QUOTE]Carl O'Steen]. He has ELITE SKILLS YOU SAY, your words . Then you turn around and say he is not a 2nd liner, man what are you talking about.Why dont you sticvk to your own opinion because you are trying to fit in with other comments but its just 2 different opinions you are giving.

Everything I have heard about this kid is positive and has the skills to be a 2nd liner, some one even mentioned a similar game to Koivu. Oh yeah how can Koivu be the habs first line center he is not physical and just has a regular defensive game.

Oh yeah he [ Immonen ] isnt a Leaf anymore so he will be nothing, but if he was still a Leaf he would be extremely overrated like most Leafs do [ overrate] all there prospects.

AG9NK35DT8*

NYRangers said:
my comment below was wrote b4 i read yours and im glad to see i have the same point as you. because steen actually makes no sense at all with that statement.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Carl O'Steen said:
If he improves defensively, I see him as a very similar player to what Robert Reichel was with the Maple Leafs.

- tremendous skill
- good pk'er because of mobility and vision
- can produce from time to time
- softish perimetre player

I saw them play in an exhibition game against a Swedish team and it was almost like watching Reichel out there. Tremendous skill, but not physical enough to make it happen for himself.

Tell me, what has been mentioned time and time again as Immonen's only true weakness?!? You should know, he was Leafs property. Was it physicality? No. Defensive play? Only a problem, if his offensive skills aren't good enough. Skating? YES!

So when you speak of mobility, that statement has a VERY big hole. Even though he has improved his skating. So again, Immonen won't be good enough defensively to play on the 3rd line. But he will probably be good enough to play on the 2nd line.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
hmmm...a leafs draft pick traded to the rangers. the only way it can get any worse is if montreal were somehow involved. guy's got the skills and creativity, but my guess is he never makes any real impact over here (it's just a guess- please don't get all angry :) ). could be my blind hatred towards the rangers and/or leafs talking, but that's neither here nor there :joker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->