Info on Ryan Whitney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
There are plenty of people who think Whitney could play in the NHL this year. There are just as many that think otherwise though. He plays a two way style, has great skills. The knock on him is his defensive play being average, but in the AHL playoffs i saw nothing but him being the best defender for the Calder Cup finalist Penguins. When he makes the NHL, he will put up plenty of points. I'm one that thinks he'll fill the opening on the Pens' top 4. I think he can put up 30 points if he plays top 4 all season and gets some PP time.

As for the trade, is it a keeper league? What scoring system?

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
i'm a lucky one, i have both whitney and michalek on my fantasy team.... :D

it depends what kind of league you're in and what kind of scoring system it carries...

whitney should be a good dman for points and horrible for +/- (mainly cuz he plays for the penguins, but a bit because he's offensive, and not too defensive), while michalek will be great for +/- (cuz of his solid 2way game, and pretty decent on offense (given what we've seen in limited action)

college hockey

Jun 8, 2004
Maine
Pens4ever said:
There are plenty of people who think Whitney could play in the NHL this year. There are just as many that think otherwise though. He plays a two way style, has great skills. The knock on him is his defensive play being average, but in the AHL playoffs i saw nothing but him being the best defender for the Calder Cup finalist Penguins. When he makes the NHL, he will put up plenty of points. I'm one that thinks he'll fill the opening on the Pens' top 4. I think he can put up 30 points if he plays top 4 all season and gets some PP time.

As for the trade, is it a keeper league? What scoring system?
I've read alot about how good he was in the AHL playoffs and all I can do is scratch my head. After watching him in HE for the last 3 years he was pretty much a turnover machine and a stiff yet he plays well at the pro level go figure
:dunno:

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, i heard a couple bad things about him at BU, but never got to see him. So I'm basing my opinion on what i saw and heard during the AHL playoffs.

Last edited:

college hockey

Jun 8, 2004
Maine
Pens4ever said:
Yeah, i heard a couple bad things about him at BU, but never got to see him. So I'm basing my opinion on what i saw and heard during the AHL playoffs.
I'm not disagreeing with your view of him I just find it funny that the guy is mediocre in college yet plays well at the next level. As a fan of a HE team I always root for former HE players to have success at the next level and I hope Whitney does as well.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Oh yeah i knew what you were sayin. Its funny like that with some guys. They can't get it in a lower league, and it clicks in a higher league. Go figure.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Pens4ever said:
Oh yeah i knew what you were sayin. Its funny like that with some guys. They can't get it in a lower league, and it clicks in a higher league. Go figure.

This pretty much sums it up for me, and I'm glad I read the whole thread before I responded. If he played like he did at BC, then I didn't think he could even make the NHL. He was just all over the place. However, if he plays like he did(which I didn't see BTW) in the AHL playoffs, then he should be good.

I don't know though, somewhere deep inside I still have a bad feeling about him. His hockey sense is minimal(and it will take a real good coach to fix it.)Perhaps he was just bored by college competition, but I tend to think that he just excelling in that particular playoff series.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Legionnaire said:
This pretty much sums it up for me, and I'm glad I read the whole thread before I responded. If he played like he did at BC, then I didn't think he could even make the NHL. He was just all over the place. However, if he plays like he did(which I didn't see BTW) in the AHL playoffs, then he should be good.

I don't know though, somewhere deep inside I still have a bad feeling about him. His hockey sense is minimal(and it will take a real good coach to fix it.)Perhaps he was just bored by college competition, but I tend to think that he just excelling in that particular playoff series.

BU, not BC, big difference. :lol ;) Just about every time I watched him play over the years, I was never impressed as I guess I expected more, I never see him take the body and he reminds me of Hainsey too much in his own end. It's great for him that he's doing well in the AHL, I haven't seen him play in the AHL yet, but I should see him next season, especially if they play Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad