Info for fans visiting Buffalo

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
wow!! thanks so much, y'all!!! so many choices! maybe we'll try to get there a day or so early, just so we can try them! :D

and Jade, i'm in 105, row 7. i don't think we'll be hard to miss. I'll either have a kovy army shirt or thrash jersey on...or both ;) and my friend will prolly have on his green boulton st. patty's practice jersey. would love to meet you!

we'll be at warmups by our guys, too :handclap: come say hi!

thanks for the driving tip GeorgiaSabre. that's just the thing i needed to know!

:bow:

you guys are awesome!

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
anyone go to a bar called Soho after games? I met a guy the other day who bartends there (happened to be vacationing in Atlanta) and told me it is a great place to go. (and he said he'd buy me a drink ;))

any thoughts?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Growing up in a half-polish household, I find it interesting that no one ever brings up FRESH polish sausage. The one thing I really miss from buffalo are the cold polish sausage sandwiches on seeded rye bread with webers mustard!

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
question- anyone ever go to that German place on the East side, it's deep down a side street, kind of like an old neighborhood saloon. Can't remember the name of it...

gaf

Occupied Territory
Sep 22, 2005
... on the warpath
anyone go to a bar called Soho after games? I met a guy the other day who bartends there (happened to be vacationing in Atlanta) and told me it is a great place to go. (and he said he'd buy me a drink ;))

any thoughts?

never been there after a hockey game. But been there on several other occasions usually the crowd is a bit on the younger side early, mid-20's crowd. If you are looking for beer and decent sight lines any bar on chippewa is ok.. Or so I am told.. Brinks on Chippewa has blue moon on tap and so does Century Grill on Pearl... mmm, blue moon

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Growing up in a half-polish household, I find it interesting that no one ever brings up FRESH polish sausage. The one thing I really miss from buffalo are the cold polish sausage sandwiches on seeded rye bread with webers mustard!

Being half Polish myself.....

I hate you.

Thankfully I'm headed home Friday. :D

Jade

Mar 31, 2006
Buffalo, NY

any thoughts?
Depends on what you like Gamera. Like Gaf mentioned that bar is mostly mid to late 20's crowd. Never been there after a game but since it'll be a Saturday night...PACKED. Every bar on Chip should be pack in that area. Soho's is a stand around drinking, talk with your friends type of bar. Not much dancing if that's your flavor (I'd recommend Level if you really want to dance). Downtown Chippewa will usually have the more tarty dressed underaged girls w/ fake ID's. Not my taste but if you want a crowd, lots of music, drinking and bring cash...downtown Chippewa is your place. I stopped going there after I turned 20...:innocent:

If you like being crammed in a place like a sardine, most of the Chippewa area bars are the place to be.

Mother's and Coulter Bay off of Delaware are geared to the late 20's-30's crowd.

All the bars on the Elmwood strip are essentially "dive-type" bars...cheap drinks, relax casual atmosphere.

Jade

Mar 31, 2006
Buffalo, NY
If you're really determined to go the Anchor Bar before the game, make sure you get there early. It gets packed, If a game starts at 7...I'd get there at like 4:30 or earlier.

Jim and I can attest to that...:cry:

Jade

Mar 31, 2006
Buffalo, NY
and Jade, i'm in 105, row 7. i don't think we'll be hard to miss. I'll either have a kovy army shirt or thrash jersey on...or both ;) and my friend will prolly have on his green boulton st. patty's practice jersey. would love to meet you!

we'll be at warmups by our guys, too :handclap: come say hi!

Gamera, Jim Boe is going instead. I'm sure he'll find you and buy you a beer on my behalf. :D

bflohockeygirl

homesick sabres fan
Sep 27, 2005
9th circle of hell
www.bflomama.com
...Just tried it last year, that'd make it 19 or so years that I've lived here. My excuse is that I usually don't like eating red meat :innocent: ...

So I don't have to give up my residency or turn over my season tickets or stop telling people I'm from Buffalo or anything? :phew:

I keep meaning to take my dad out to try it when he visits, but we never get around to it. He did have a garbage plate last time he was here, though, and he liked that. :)

caniacgirl12

Jun 14, 2004
Rochester, NY
Completely OT...but are you sitting in the same place you did for the Canes game? I'll have to make a point of coming over to say hi this time. (I saw you guys last time but didn't get a chance to stop.)

I think Afino and I are still trying to get the ticket issue squared away, but I'll let you know where we are sitting once we figure it out. I'd love to say hello to a few of you Sabres fans.

caniacgirl12

Jun 14, 2004
Rochester, NY
So I don't have to give up my residency or turn over my season tickets or stop telling people I'm from Buffalo or anything? :phew:

I keep meaning to take my dad out to try it when he visits, but we never get around to it. He did have a garbage plate last time he was here, though, and he liked that. :)

Also completely OT - when I was stuck at JFK trying to get to Rochester one night (it was about 9 by this point) there was a dad and his little girl, probably right at the 2 mark who was fussy because it was 9 and she was stuck at the airport also. He was trying to calm her down and he kept saying "I know what will chear you up, all you want is a garbage plate." She starting cooing and then fell asleep.

I wonder if it would have the same effect on Afino.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->