Info for fans visiting Buffalo

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
My friend and I are driving up from Atlanta to go to the game Dec 30 (and then to Ottawa for the game 1/1) and someone recommended Charlie the Butcher's....wth is Beef On Weck? or, more precisely, what is "weck"???

thx

oh, if anyone would like to meet up before the game and have a beer or something, that would be cool :cheers:

one more thing....what is the least snowy route to travel in december? :help: I'll be driving an RV....:eek:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My friend and I are driving up from Atlanta to go to the game Dec 30 (and then to Ottawa for the game 1/1) and someone recommended Charlie the Butcher's....wth is Beef On Weck? or, more precisely, what is "weck"???

thx

oh, if anyone would like to meet up before the game and have a beer or something, that would be cool :cheers:

one more thing....what is the least snowy route to travel in december? :help: I'll be driving an RV....:eek:

Are you familiar with driving in snow? It depends on the year, but there may not be much snow.... or we might get hammered with the "white death" as my neighbor in NC used to call it. (First time I heard it, I thought "anthrax! run!!" but it was proven to be snow in the forecast.) I used to make the trip up from there on 77 to 19 to 79 to 90. Whammer is an Atlanta ex-pat, he may have suggestions. If the weather turns nasty in WV, the "if it's not a mountain or trees, it's road" method of driving may not be the best thing in an RV.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
Are you familiar with driving in snow? It depends on the year, but there may not be much snow.... or we might get hammered with the "white death" as my neighbor in NC used to call it. (First time I heard it, I thought "anthrax! run!!" but it was proven to be snow in the forecast.) I used to make the trip up from there on 77 to 19 to 79 to 90. Whammer is an Atlanta ex-pat, he may have suggestions. If the weather turns nasty in WV, the "if it's not a mountain or trees, it's road" method of driving may not be the best thing in an RV.

well, not really...though I did drive in some snow in the midwest last year...I grew up here in Atlanta, not known for our snow LOL

sounds kinda scary driving through WV....:eek: that route you said is what mapquest suggested, btw

oh man that roll sounds awesome!! i can't wait to try one of those :)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
well, not really...though I did drive in some snow in the midwest last year...I grew up here in Atlanta, not known for our snow LOL

sounds kinda scary driving through WV....:eek: that route you said is what mapquest suggested, btw

oh man that roll sounds awesome!! i can't wait to try one of those :)

You're going to love the Beef-on-Weck. It's classic. I prefer Anderson's roastbeef on weck, but anywhere you get it, it's still pretty damn good, and that includes HSBC Arena.

I'd recommend stoppin' by Teds Hot Dogs, or, of course, the Anchor Bar on your way down Main St. to the arena.

Jade

Mar 31, 2006
Buffalo, NY
For moments like this I wished we had a "food" thread for out of towner's. Gamera I'm a STH, I'll buy you a beer and show you some decent places to eat when you get in town.

I apologize ahead of time for some jerks you'll meet if you decide to sport a Thrashers Jersey. Do you know where you'll be sitting yet?

Edit: I hear Anderson's is great to get Beef on Weck too.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Food thread... see the OT thread. :D

As for good beef on weck, try Schwabl's in West Seneca (a nearby suburb) as well as host of other locales.

As for the route, WV is usually pretty tame. Granted, I grew up in the snowbelt of WNY -- either you learn to drive in the snow or you stay home for 6 months.... :D

SchonyFan

Jul 12, 2006
My friend and I are driving up from Atlanta to go to the game Dec 30 (and then to Ottawa for the game 1/1)

You've already received great *weck* answers so I'll go with meeting up for a beer before hand. This is our New Year's Eve out so we'll be heading dowtown early. I'm in section 309. Be very careful driving as someone else as previously mentioned. Buffalo whether can be 10* or 50* at that time of year or both in one day. Don't believe the freak weather up here? Take a look at this youtube video from two weeks ago
:sarcasm: http://youtube.com/watch?v=C4aERBrM4S0&mode=related&search=

Cheers! Can't wait for December 30th!

GeorgiaSabre

If you are headed up to Buffalo from Atlanta, take I75 up to Cincinatti and hang a right on to I71, which will take you to I90. Don't take I85 up to West Virginia as it is a lot better to go through the Tennessee mountains instead of the ones in West Virginia during the winter. I make the trip every christmas, so I've learned this from experience.

As far as wearing a Thrashers jersey in Buffalo it might not be that bad. My girlfriend wore her Thrashers jersey last season to the Sabres-Thrashers games in Atlanta and Buffalo. She got more harrassment from all the the transplants in Atlanta who took over the upper level than she did for the game in Buffalo.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Food thread... see the OT thread. :D

As for good beef on weck, try Schwabl's in West Seneca (a nearby suburb) as well as host of other locales.

As for the route, WV is usually pretty tame. Granted, I grew up in the snowbelt of WNY -- either you learn to drive in the snow or you stay home for 6 months.... :D

I took CG there for her virgin beef on weck experience.

She fell in love with it.

RobtC

Feb 25, 2006
Another vote for Schwabl's here, it may just be the best in WNY.

edit: It's also very close to the entrance of the 400, which means about 10 minutes from the arena.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another vote for Schwabl's here, it may just be the best in WNY.

edit: It's also very close to the entrance of the 400, which means about 10 minutes from the arena.

Give it 15-20 depending on traffic near the rink and the toll. Oh wait. Nevermind. :biglaugh:

While the beef at the rink is ok for arena fare, it's not nearly on the level with hand carved goodness like Schwabl's or Charlie the Butcher's (or some of the others locally -- just like good wings or good pizza, there are plenty of places to go). Oh, and they've started to skimp on the beef and the chips too. The downside to a packed house is revealed at last.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Give it 15-20 depending on traffic near the rink and the toll. Oh wait. Nevermind. :biglaugh:

While the beef at the rink is ok for arena fare, it's not nearly on the level with hand carved goodness like Schwabl's or Charlie the Butcher's (or some of the others locally -- just like good wings or good pizza, there are plenty of places to go). Oh, and they've started to skimp on the beef and the chips too. The downside to a packed house is revealed at last.

Sigh. I am reminded again that my last visit to Buffalo I was forced to have arena beef on weck....as every place else had no power. 6 hrs driving, no good beef on weck, grumble grumble grumble.

I love the beef on wick, but the salt kills me every time :)

Getting it at the Arena, it's tough stuff to chew up (the beef) but it's probably the best within 100 miles.

Whoa there. Schwabl's and Charlie the Butcher are both good but even the Washington Square Restaurant (literally four blocks up the street from the arena) are better than the arena.

But the best in Buffalo remains Anacone's Inn, at 3178 Bailey Ave. I'm just sayin'.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Whoa there. Schwabl's and Charlie the Butcher are both good but even the Washington Square Restaurant (literally four blocks up the street from the arena) are better than the arena.

But the best in Buffalo remains Anacone's Inn, at 3178 Bailey Ave. I'm just sayin'.

Anacone's.... *drool* I'd forgotten about that place. Granted, the last time I was in there, I was plotting revenge on a reckless Jeep driver.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
Yeah, they used to load the beef up at the HSBC arena stand last year. It seems the amount and quality of the beef has gone down there...no fun. :cry:

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Before I joined the Navy, I worked at Old Bailey Inn which used to be Bailo's before it burned down. Now that was THE BEST place for B.o.W. ever! Whenever they made the gravy, they made me leave the kitchen becuase of the secret recipe.

But, I got to eat all the BoW I wanted. And anything else for that matter. Stroehmans used to deliver a dozen shopping bags full of kimmelweck rolls every morning and they were still warm from the oven!

Damn, I need to go back and get me some BoW!

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah, they used to load the beef up at the HSBC arena stand last year. It seems the amount and quality of the beef has gone down there...no fun. :cry:

Maybe its just me but the beef on weck at the Pour Man's Aud Club seems better than the concession stand ones. Thats usually my go to place for a sandwich and a beer prior to the game since its near my seats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad