Music: Influential Songs Notable for their Detrimental Contribution

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
So often when we talk about influential songs, albums or artists, we wax rather positively on those that led to things we also like. Rarely do we talk about songs, albums or artists that sent other artists in misguided adventures that if they produced anything worthwhile, it was more fun to talk about the pieces more than actually listen to them.

And yes, this thread was sparked by Jim Sterling's Most Influential Games of the 2010 decade video in which he figured Clash of Clans was the most influential game for its contributions to marketing and revenue-generating techniques. So if we are going to take a gander, we are likely to be focusing on songs or such that drove audiences away, that prevented artists from getting signed, that created a business model fashioned after them that forced artists to conform to those models.

So let's start.

Anton Schoenberg's "Du lehnest wider einer Silberwider" (1908) is probably worth a mention. This song was polemical, written in a time when Schoenberg's wife left him for a painter. The lack of a key was an experiment that would be later used on his String Quartet No. 2. This is fine, but the experimentation and the cacophony that followed didn't seem to remember why this was being done in the first place. And this created a problem for future artists as they insisted that these cacophonous sounds were for idealist goals, their ability to write pieces for orchestras grew slimmer as audiences never seemed to be as receptive as the musicians. This didn't get corrected until the 1970s when there was a backlash against this, led by former practitioners like Penderecki finally realised that this music could not achieve the idealism that he was led against. Since then, slowly but surely new works have been coming into the orchestral repertoire including the likes of Part, Adams and Glass.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think there were a few huge songs that did a lot for the rise of trap music in the last 5 years, which so many people associate as a negative thing. Even though you can trace it back way further than 2015, Fetty Wap's Trap Queen was huge. Then the Migos' Bad and Bougee because it tapped into the meme generation and popularized the "Migos flow" even more. And I think Lil Pump's Gucci Gang was huge for that kind of punk idea that literally anyone could make a hit trap song, from his young age to the mindless and repetitive lyrics.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I tried to listen to Guy Lafleur's disco album but all songs sounds the same so it's hardly even an album but just a long "jam session" with female vocals thrown in and some guy talking doing a voice-over in French.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Jump Jim Crow is one we probably could have done without.

EDIT: Disco was the first thing that came to my mind too TBH. Who was the first mainstream artist to jump on the disco bandwagon and really open the floodgates? Must be The Bee Gees? Would the disco craze have happened anyway?

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix was a (not notably) detrimental song

Awesome song, but it started the trend of guitarists treating guitar playing as masterbation, doing endless guitar solos that contribute little to music.

...Human Clay from Creed?
This may have given birth to Nickelback so yeah.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Maybe it's personal, but I have to say that the success of Daddy Yankee's "Gasolina" pretty much ensured that every radio station in the Latin American world (and in Miami) has the same song over and over again with slightly different lyrics.

Reggaeton is a menace where the same beat is used in virtually every song in the genre.

Boom....Ba-Doom Boom Boom....Ba-Doom Boom Boom....Ba-Doom Boom Boom....

Last edited:

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
The inversion is a nice spicing up of things after I-V-vi-IV progression. Offers a good counter to the ii-V-I progression as well. It also functions well because it offers as a step towards the bimodality that appears in blues music.

I think what gets in the music major's craw is that Canon in D relegates the bass (cello line) to comping instead of all that other music that has the bass countering the melody line with nary a thought to the poor violas who have to comp all the time.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Maybe it's personal, but I have to say that the success of Daddy Yankee's "Gasolina" pretty much ensured that every radio station in the Latin American world (and in Miami) has the same song over and over again with slightly different lyrics.

Reggaeton is a menace where the same beat is used in virtually every song in the genre.

Boom....Ba-Doom Boom Boom....Ba-Doom Boom Boom....Ba-Doom Boom Boom....
Recently Despacito becoming the most viewed YouTube video of all time seems to be a big reason why so many pop/hip-hop artists are doing Latin crossovers and reggaeton inspired music. Cannot stand it personally.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Vanilla Ice "Ice, Ice, Baby" paved the way for white rap artists that basically suck.

My Best-Carey

That and "U Can't Touch This" also heavily sampled very identifiable tunes, with Superfreak by Rick James and Under Pressure by Queen.

That led to other songs like "I"ll be Missing You" (Every Breath You Take), "He Got Game" (For What It's Worth) and other classic songs being completely re-used (as opposed to a cover) to make modern hits.

Reactions: 18Hossa and frisco

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Peter Frampton's album Frampton Comes Alive is one of my favourite Live Albums.
But his use of the Talk Box on Do You Feel Like I Do and some of the other songs on that album spawned so many others to do the same. Still love the song and album though.

I agree with the other poster who mentioned Believe by Cher as well and the electronic altering of her voice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad