Individual awards announced!

MMX

Aug 3, 2005
Minsk
http://live82.ihwc.net/english/article/news/index.ihwc?artId=2457

Media All-Star Team:
Goalie: Andrei Mezin (Belarus)
Defense: Petteri Nummelin (Finland), Niklas Kronwall (Sweden)
Forwards: Sidney Crosby (Canada), David Vyborny (Czech Republic), Alexander Ovechkin (Russia)

IIHF Directorate Awards:
Best Goalie: Johan Holmqvist (Sweden)
Best Defenseman: Niklas Kronwall (Sweden)
Best Forward: Sidney Crosby (Canada)
MVP: Niklas Kronwall (Sweden)

Agreed on everything except best goalie maybe.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
The Viking Fury said:
As a caps fan, either works for me!

About that... Any interest in the capital for signing BÃ…G as coach?

I wouldn't mind having Washington drafting Bäckström and then signing BÅG as coach when he leaves Team Sweden.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
The Viking Fury said:
As a caps fan, either works for me!

Which, to me at least, raises the question: Should Bengt-Ã…ke be given a shot at coaching an NHL team at some point?

SChan*

Riddarn said:
Which, to me at least, raises the question: Should Bengt-Ã…ke be given a shot at coaching an NHL team at some point?

yes I'd like to see a swede as a NHL coach for once.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
blacklabel said:
Nummelin over Kaberle. :shakehead

Yeah, the voters traditionally see goalies as the only players whose job is to prevent goals from happening while the others are meant to outscore their opponent. In that department, Nummelin's 3+11=14 points is the best point total by a defenseman since Fetisov's 6+8=14 in 1986.

MrAlfie

i find it interesting that Holmqvist is the "Best Goalie" of the tournament yet Mezin gets the vote over him.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
MrAlfie said:
i find it interesting that Holmqvist is the "Best Goalie" of the tournament yet Mezin gets the vote over him.

It's because there are two different groups of people who gets to vote.

MMX

Aug 3, 2005
Minsk
MrAlfie said:

There is simple explanation to it: Mezin was chosen by the media while Holmqvist by directorate.

MrAlfie

Riddarn said:
It's because there are two different groups of people who gets to vote.

i didnt ask why, i just said i find it interesting

MMX

Aug 3, 2005
Minsk
BTW, great to see Andrei Mezin finally getting some accolades :handclap:
And to think that at last WC he was even better :bow:

Steve Latin*

Crosby = Best forward. That must mean he's clearly better than Ovechkin.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I don`t wanna get flamed for this but i think Patrice Bergeron deserved a top forward mention over David Vyborny....Bergeron was positively dominant at times in this tournament....yes he was playing with Crosby but still....so was Boyes and he only got 8 points...Bergeron got 14 and was the number 2 forward pointwise in the tournament with Vyborny and Ovechkin only getting 9 points a piece....heck you could have even given it to Grabovsky with 9 points especially considering the lack of talent he plays with compared to Russia or Czech Republic.....but anyways

MMX

Aug 3, 2005
Minsk
Jeff Jimmerson said:

Come on man, no need to turn this into another Ovechkin-Crosby debate. This thread is dedicated to congratulate those who made the All-Stars and discuss those who barely didn't, but not to diminish either achievements.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Harold_Snepps_Rocks said:
I don`t wanna get flamed for this but i think Patrice Bergeron deserved a top forward mention over David Vyborny....Bergeron was positively dominant at times in this tournament....yes he was playing with Crosby but still....so was Boyes and he only got 8 points...Bergeron got 14 and was the number 2 forward pointwise in the tournament with Vyborny and Ovechkin only getting 9 points a piece....heck you could have even given it to Grabovsky with 9 points especially considering the lack of talent he plays with compared to Russia or Czech Republic.....but anyways

I agree, Bergeron was very good and I'm suprised that he didn't get any recognition.

Steve Latin*

MMX said:
Come on man, no need to turn this into another Ovechkin-Crosby debate. This thread is dedicated to congratulate those who made the All-Stars and discuss those who barely didn't, but not to diminish either achievements.
It had to be done by someone.

CUBErt

Feb 13, 2006
Finland
Jeff Jimmerson said:
At least on the big European ice he is. Although I don't know about clearly.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Holmqvist best goalie? :dunno:

What a sad joke. He was barely among the top 5. :shakehead

Mezin was hands down the best goalie, again. Norrena was the only one that was close to Mezin.

And Crosby should have been the tournament mvp imho (or perhaps Mezin).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad