4. Willie Mays (R)
5. Roy Campanella (R)
6. Willie Stargell (L)
7. Jeff Bagwell (R)
8. Adrian Beltre (R)
9. Pitcher's Spot

Versus

Hartford

Manager: Bobby Cox (has just been ejected)

Catcher: Mike Piazza (R) / Joe Mauer (L)
First Base: Todd Helton (L)
Second Base: Jackie Robinson (R)
Third Base: Scott Rolen (R) / Edgar Martinez (R)
Shortstop: Alex Rodriguez (R) / Barry Larkin (R)

Left Field: Tim Raines (S) / Ralph Kiner (R)
Center Field: Mike Trout (R) / Kenny Lofton (L)
Right Field: Roberto Clemente (R) / Larry Walker (L)

Rotation
1. Roger Clemens (R)
2. Greg Maddux (R)
3. Sandy Koufax (L)
4. Kevin Brown (R)
5. Mickey Lolich (L)

Bullpen
Dennis Eckersley (R)
Hoyt Wilhelm (R)
Billy Wagner (L)
Aroldis Chapman (L)
Tom Henke (R)
Masaichi Kaneda (L)

Lineup:

Raines (S) 123 OPS+ / .385 OB% / 808 SB
Clemente (R) 130 OPS+ / .359 OB% / 240 HR
Rodriguez (R) 140 OPS+ / .380 OB% / 696 HR
Piazza(R) 142 OPS+ / .377 OB% / 427 HR
Helton (L) 133 OPS+ / .414 OB% / 369 HR
Trout (R) 174 OPS+ / .415 OB% / 231 HR / 186 SB
Robinson (R) 132 OPS+ / .409 OB% / 134 HR / 197 SB
Rolen (R) 122 OPS+ / .364 OB% / 316 HR

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I'm going to set-up my team pretty much the same as I did in Rd 1.

Piazza's arm shouldn't be as big a hindrance in this match-up, but Campy's arm will probably reign in my runners thieving tenancies. No matter, in this match-up getting as many base runners as possible will be more important as this will more than likely come down to who's power hitter can do the most damage. The 3-4-5 of each can mash and flat out hit. I'm hoping the super high OB% and contact/power combo of my lower lineup can scratch out some much needed extra runs and turn over the lineup more frequently.

I believe I still have the pitching advantage, though less of an advantage with starters than round 1 but I think my bullpen advantage is just as strong, if not stronger in this match-up.

I'm looking for another 6 game series win here, but it'll be tough.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If you think Rolen's .364 OB% is super high, Thome has a .402! ;) This round is half over. I'm surprised Tecumseh and Dr. Pepper haven't posted any defenses.

Last edited:

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
I think the depth of my starting rotation gives me an edge here. Of course, I'll be going with a four-man rotation here which means that Chris Sale will add another left-handed option out of the bullpen. Campy will keep Robinson and Lofton and their other fast baserunners nailed to their respective bases. The diversity of left and right handed hitters in my lineup should cause problems for Hartford's starting pitching.

I would not say that my team depends on the long ball although they can definitely win games in that fashion. Nearly everyone in my lineup can hit for both power and a great average. With Campanella's ability to hit to all fields, my decision to place Campanella as my fifth batter means that he can clear bases with one swing whether that be a home run or an extra base hit. Hartford has a damn good starting 3 in their rotation but I think the amount of great offensive weapons in my lineup can pull them out of the game early and with Hartford's lack of long relief options, the floodgates can really open with that flaw exposed.

I'm sure it'll be a great and long series regardless. Best of luck, Winger.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I didn't mean to infer that your (and mine) depend on the long ball, I was just trying to point out that with the defense both teams will be trotting out (both have STRONG 3B defenders, very good to legendary CF and RFs, very good up the middle infielders) and very deep pitching should be able to work out of and avoid jams and long rallies. The long ball, in my analysis, should account for runs gotten in bunches. I'm not sure if I'm articulating my thoughts very well about this, but I think I've gotten my idea across.

Also, Maddux and Clemens laugh at your lineup versatility. Those are two guys who dominated no matter which batter's box you stepped into.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
sandy-koufax-joins-dodgers.jpeg

upload_2018-8-4_0-11-27-png.133251

...Also, Maddux and Clemens laugh at your lineup versatility. Those are two guys who dominated no matter which batter's box you stepped into.
Agreed and don't forget "The Left Hand of God" Sandy Koufax.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
In an upset, Hartford downs Indy in seven games behind series MVP Sandy Koufax's 16 IP, 3 ER and 22 K in Games 3 and 7 combined, ironically beating Kershaw in both games including the 3-1 Game 7 finale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad