Incredible parity since 2010

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I almost had to spit out my food when you mention increasingly dominant European teams and include russia in the group, which hasn't won anything of note at the senior level in decades and has gone from 2nd best in the world and at sometimes best in the world to not even 2nd best in Europe anymore, both Finland and Sweden are better now.

Go ahead, pat Finland and sweden on the back but any knowledgeable hockey observer is aware russia has been over rated for a long time, the cat is out of the bag on that one for quite some time..................you're yesterdays news and not all that good.

You can not only make an argument that Russia is not good enough to win any best on best competition among the big boys you can actually state it as fact, they have not done so since almost 40 years ago. Some dominant power that is.

The mighty sure have fallen.

Russia currently is like microwaved leftovers from a meal cooked a week prior, or should I say 2-3 decades ago. Russias reputation is a big con job that rests on long ago memories from the 1970's and 80's, a total mirage.

My point had nothing to do with Russia. My point was that as recently as 10 years ago, Canada was a dominant power, but in the last 10 years, has steadily lost ground. Don't ask me, ask Brent Sutter. In 2005, he coached arguably one of the most dominant junior teams in WJC history, and then in 2014, coached a Canadian team that finished 4th, behind Russia, out of the medals. If Russia sucks so bad, how is it that they so often finish ahead of Canada in the placing tables? Either Canadian hockey is getting worse, or other hockey is just getting that much better, but either way, Canada's decline is real!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DavidLamb

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My point had nothing to do with Russia. My point was that as recently as 10 years ago, Canada was a dominant power, but in the last 10 years, has steadily lost ground. Don't ask me, ask Brent Sutter. In 2005, he coached arguably one of the most dominant junior teams in WJC history, and then in 2014, coached a Canadian team that finished 4th, behind Russia, out of the medals. If Russia sucks so bad, how is it that they so often finish ahead of Canada in the placing tables? Either Canadian hockey is getting worse, or other hockey is just getting that much better, but either way, Canada's decline is real!

Your point, like the point you made that it was impossible for Canada to lose at the WJC at home that you made and make at the start and during every WJC every year? that kind of point?

Make up your mind, it's so muddied. One day you are saying we are unbeatable because the ice is tilted 40 degrees in our favour and then the next day you claim we are losing our dominance, which one is it?

We know which one it is, it is whatever slant you want to work that you think you can twist on any certain day to try to rag on Canadian hockey. Everyone has known the game with you long ago.

When it comes to our hockey you just troll all the time, best just not to comment on it all if that's all you are here to do, and that is all you are here to do.

You posts add nothing of substance when people are discussing anything Canadian hockey.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I know that was has bothered me is that Canada medalled from 1999 to 2012. Also, we played in the Gold medal game 10 straight times from 2002 to 2011 winning gold 5 of those times and blowing a lead (sometimes a convincing lead) in each of the gold medal games we lost at that time. Plus winning gold 5 times in a row, twice. The last 5 times really powered a lot of the players we've had in the Olympics since then.

But since 2011..........yikes. At least from a Canadian standpoint.
2012 - Bronze
2013 - 4th
2014 - 4th
2015 - Gold
2016 - 6th
2017 - Silver
2018 - Gold
2019 - 6th

This is just awful. Sure we were a penalty shot and a broken stick in overtime away from almost certainly playing in the gold medal game, but we looked sluggish the whole tournament. When there was a "panic" from 1998 up until 2005 we still medalled every year after 1998. We lost some tough gold medal games in between those years but at least we were right there in the thick of things. This is the 2nd time in 4 years we haven't even gotten out of the quarter finals.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Maybe Canada needs an actual National team coach at this level. Just forego your ego Hockey Canada and ask an actual winner that will win gold for us year after year in Dale Hunter. You can't deny his success. I am sorry, but there was nothing to be proud of with the 2019 version, they shot themselves in the foot and it all started with the coaching. Comtois didn't deserve the flack he got on social media, but come on guys, let's win these tournaments on a more regular basis than twice a decade, or let another guy who wants to do it have a shot at it.

Reactions: DavidLamb

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Your point, like the point you made that it was impossible for Canada to lose at the WJC at home that you made and make at the start and during every WJC every year? that kind of point?

Make up your mind, it's so muddied. One day you are saying we are unbeatable because the ice is tilted 40 degrees in our favour and then the next day you claim we are losing our dominance, which one is it?

We know which one it is, it is whatever slant you want to work that you think you can twist on any certain day to try to rag on Canadian hockey. Everyone has known the game with you long ago.

When it comes to our hockey you just troll all the time, best just not to comment on it all if that's all you are here to do, and that is all you are here to do.

You posts add nothing of substance when people are discussing anything Canadian hockey.

As for Canada's home ice advantage, let the record speak for itself. Since 2011, in 9 WJC tournaments, Canada has won medals, including 2 Gold and 2 Silver, in 5 of the 6 WJC's held in Canada or Buffalo, on the Canadian border (this year was, I will admit, an unexpected exception), while, in WJC's played in Europe in 2013, 2014 and 2016, Canada finished 4th, 4th, and 6th. It is absolutely accurate to say when a good team that is capable of winning under any circumstances has a home ice advantage 70% of the time, that clearly tilts the ice in that team's favor. Sorry if you don't like the way that sounds, but it is in fact the truth.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
As for Canada's home ice advantage, let the record speak for itself. Since 2011, in 9 WJC tournaments, Canada has won medals, including 2 Gold and 2 Silver, in 5 of the 6 WJC's held in Canada or Buffalo, on the Canadian border (this year was, I will admit, an unexpected exception), while, in WJC's played in Europe in 2013, 2014 and 2016, Canada finished 4th, 4th, and 6th. It is absolutely accurate to say when a good team that is capable of winning under any circumstances has a home ice advantage 70% of the time, that clearly tilts the ice in that team's favor. Sorry if you don't like the way that sounds, but it is in fact the truth.
Sure, if you say so.

Wish your theory had have held true this year but it got blown apart really early , like 4 games in.

What matters is the team that is playing relative to the competition in that year, as always.

But whatever helps you sleep at night.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It must have really hurt when Canada won in Sochi. Winning on Russian soil on international ice.

Just judging by your myopic obsession.

I can only imagine how you felt at the time.

Canada certainly has things they have to improve on. We have a very high standard for success and we aren’t meeting it.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It must have really hurt when Canada won in Sochi. Winning on Russian soil on international ice.

Just judging by your myopic obsession.

I can only imagine how you felt at the time.

Canada certainly has things they have to improve on. We have a very high standard for success and we aren’t meeting it.

For a variety of different reasons, Russia wasn't good enough to win in Sochi. I would have loved to have seen them have the opportunity to go head-on with Canada, but they didn't earn the right to do it. I was disappointed, but far from shocked, and I just accepted it and moved on.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Canada isn't quite on a decline as is the other countries, primarily Sweden, Finland and the USA, and secondarily Switzerland are getting better. This is a good thing. Don't kid yourself though, Canada is still and will remain the team to beat at practically every international hockey competition from juniors to seniors and talent will continue to be produced year in and out.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Canada isn't quite on a decline as is the other countries, primarily Sweden, Finland and the USA, and secondarily Switzerland are getting better. This is a good thing. Don't kid yourself though, Canada is still and will remain the team to beat at practically every international hockey competition from juniors to seniors and talent will continue to be produced year in and out.

That's only via the sheer volume of high-level clubs and players Canada has access to. Other countries are catching up because they are actually investing in their hockey infrastructure and taking the time to develop players at the youth level. Canada is terrible at player development.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
That's only via the sheer volume of high-level clubs and players Canada has access to. Other countries are catching up because they are actually investing in their hockey infrastructure and taking the time to develop players at the youth level. Canada is terrible at player development.

I think you are right. The Canadian system focuses on playing a large volume of games and travel, which leads to exhaustion without actually training and improving skills. Practices are often no more than just loosening up and recovering from exhausting games, without adequate time devoted to training techniques such as overcompensation and muscle memory that can geometrically increase skills and performance.

Reactions: bossram

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

What makes you assume Canada will always remain the sole ‘team to beat’ at WJC level, particularly if the medaling trend of the past decade continues?
Name recognition based on past success only lasts for so long. Just ask Brazilian soccer fans.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Brazil's still the team to beat at a World Cup despite not having won it since 2002. It takes decades of mediocrity to erase a serious powerhouse from championship contention, especially at the WJC where it's basically their playground. Ask the Finns, Swedes, Russians and Americans. That said, I'm as big of a proponent as any that the gap has considerably closed and any team in the top 8 has a shot at beating Canada, but for the forseeable future you can't say any country wouldn't be targeting Canada as, generally speaking, the primary threat.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Brazil's still the team to beat at a World Cup despite not having won it since 2002. It takes decades of mediocrity to erase a serious powerhouse from championship contention, especially at the WJC where it's basically their playground. Ask the Finns, Swedes, Russians and Americans. That said, I'm as big of a proponent as any that the gap has considerably closed and any team in the top 8 has a shot at beating Canada, but for the future you can't say any country wouldn't be targeting Canada as, generally speaking, the primary threat.

Not to veer off topic, but in no parallel universe is Brazil the team to beat in a world cup the last decade. That’s just beyond stupid.

Nor does it take decades for a powerhouse to fall, or be caught by other countries. Look at the Soviet Union/Russia, it takes only 1.
Not that Canada has fallen, but I agree with the poster who said if trends continue for a few more years, Canada will cease to be considered the sole team to beat at the world juniors.
Results matter.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Not to veer off topic, but in no parallel universe is Brazil the team to beat in a world cup the last decade. That’s just beyond stupid.

Nor does it take decades for a powerhouse to fall, or be caught by other countries. Look at the Soviet Union/Russia, it takes only 1.
Not that Canada has fallen, but I agree with the poster who said if trends continue for a few more years, Canada will cease to be considered the sole team to beat at the world juniors.
Results matter.

Do you even watch or follow soccer, or just picked it up and became an expert because where you live just hosted a WC this year? Either case, it doesn't give you an automatic pass to deliver some asinine beyond stupid statements yourself.

Brazil has been a consistent top 10 powerhouse in the international sphere since the 90s and barring a few continental championships and qualification hiccups, have barely missed a beat, being one of two teams to have one more than one WC in the last 30 years. There is so much parity and moving posts in the top echelons of international football that no one team has the persistent staying relevance and dominance that Brazil has had. Just because they haven't won time after time doesn't disqualify them from being in the conversation nearly every single time.

What other WC winners or finalists since the 90s can truly claim that? Germany maybe? Spain was a joke (as a world champion) until their 30+ game unbeaten streak, France was a laughing stock for several WC iterations in the same time frame, bottoming out with a team mutiny, far worse than Brazil has+ even with the 7-1 thrashing. Netherlands' time came and went quickly. Italy hasn't belonged in a conversation as a "team to beat" in a while. Brazil hasn't been even threatened to be bounced out of a Group Stage in multiple decades; every other WC winner since the 90s has suffered that embarrassment.

Results matter. My advice, I think it's best to avoid discussing in topics you are not terribly familiar with, as it just makes you look like a complete tool.

Apologies for contributing to the off-topic, but if you call someone's thought process "beyond stupid" you have to be able to actually back it up. International parity in hockey is, at best, 1/5th of what it is in soccer. Among the top 6 truly competitive nations for a championship, Canada and Russia have had the most consistent staying power and a few misses at Gold for a few years don't disqualify that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad