Increased fan security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In wake of the MLB opening day issue of opponent fan beaten in the parking lot after a game.....

I noticed a lot of police/uniformed security in the parking lot after tonight's preseason game in SJ.

In past seasons, I've seen 1-2 policeman inside the arena near the entrance, but tonight there was one guy watching the exit doors and two more on the outside watching fans leave. And (mobile) security near one end of the parking lot watching the comings/goings.

Now the Sharks and Ducks are in state rivals, but I've never seen this much security post game. Would not be surprised that the NHL and/or the Sharks have been proactive for known rivals with mobile/following fans in wake of the beating.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Something is really strange about fans in Cali. I could get if the main incident was at an NFL or NHL game where the games are very physical and violence does come into play.
But a dood getting beaten almost to death after a BASEBALL game?!? Even the players chit chat and hug before, during and after the games.

I guess if soccer fans can pummel each other...baseball shouldn't be a surprise.....

The added Police presence is a double whammy. Actually prevents this crap (regardless of how unlikely it is) and also shows they are responding to recent events and being 'proactive'.

Good PR and if there really is a problem (which there likely isn't) they eliminate it as well.

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011
what happened to bryan stow was really really tragic and unfortunately more of a police/ security presence is needed to discourage that behavior. i say its a shame that its necessary but good on the organization and your local police for being proactive rather than reactive.

Fehr Time*

It is pretty sad the way some people conduct themselves at these events. The violence is just nuts imo. One of the more pathetic things I have seen is a couple of grown men throwing iceballs at a girl who had an opposing teams sweater on after a hockey game in a certain NHL city in Canada. Not as violent as other incidents but pretty darn bad still considering the context.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I can't remember who I was talking with, nor the circumstances, but the gist of a conversation I had about a decade ago was that a Sharks game is one of the safest places you can be (in the entire Bay Area).

In addition to the many uniformed police in the arena (and the ushers/staff), there are many off duty police who attend the game. (I sit next to a STH chief of police from a local city).

I do think that society is changing and this added show of force may be necessary to maintain good security for all attendees, participants.

Scottrocks58*

I can't remember who I was talking with, nor the circumstances, but the gist of a conversation I had about a decade ago was that a Sharks game is one of the safest places you can be (in the entire Bay Area).

In addition to the many uniformed police in the arena (and the ushers/staff), there are many off duty police who attend the game. (I sit next to a STH chief of police from a local city).

I do think that society is changing and this added show of force may be necessary to maintain good security for all attendees, participants.

Well, at least it will aid the Sharks' T-shirt patrol and help root out all those chubby bail bondsmen in their work clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->