Inaugural NBA In Season Tournament Final Four will be December 7th and 9th in Las Vegas

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I don't like the idea of playing additional games that others don't play.

You can count the "First game vs an opponent" in the regular season as the pool play results, then make your bracket...

But it would make more sense to do this AFTER expanding to 32 teams; having the top 16 in a bracket in one site... but putting the bottom 16 in a bracket at another site.

Everyone plays four games in the tourney, with a "losers bracket" and the final day decides all the places from 1st to 32nd.

Count every game in the standings.

4 vs Division (12), 3 vs Conference (36), 2 vs Non-Conf (32), Four tourney games = 84.

But the 8 teams in the tourney playing games 83-85 while everyone else plays 82 is ridiculous.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
If you had a 32-team league with the in-season tourney, you COULD conceivably tie that in to the draft order somehow.

Like every team missing the playoffs draft pick slot is determined by their tourney place.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I honestly don't understand why anyone would care about this, and I'm speaking as a fan of the NBA.
As a card carrying “guy who cares about this”, I find the regular seasons of the MLB, NBA, and NHL incredibly bland after a certain point (especially when my team isn’t in a playoff race) and I support any attempt to try to break up the monotony

Reactions: varsaku

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1688859633496.png

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Hopefully they just start calling it the "NBA Cup" and move past references to the "NBA In-Season Tournament."

On the reveal show currently airing on ESPN they said the group games count as regular season games (was known) but didn't say anything about QF games.

Reactions: MMC

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The new tournament will have some disruption on the status quo. Teams will only have 80 games accounted for in their schedules when they are released before the season; two other games will be marked TBD. The 22 teams that don’t qualify for the knockout stage will have those two other games scheduled on nights of the tournament group stage.

The losing quarterfinalists will play each other during the night of the semis. All of those games will count as regular-season games, too. At least 24 teams are guaranteed to play the normal 41 home games, while two to four teams will only play 40 home games, and anywhere from zero to two teams could play 42 home games.

Aside from including another elimination game into the season and handing out a new trophy, Wasch said there will be new jerseys for each team specifically for the in-season tournament and a new setup inside the arena.

The team that wins the tournament will be crowned with the NBA Cup. Each player on the winning team will take home $500,000; players on the second-place team will get $200,000 each; players on losing semi-finals teams will get $100,000 each; and the quarterfinalists will earn $50,000 per player. Those amounts will go up each season in proportion to the BRI growth each year.

Reactions: Reaser

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Hopefully they just start calling it the "NBA Cup" and move past references to the "NBA In-Season Tournament."

On the reveal show currently airing on ESPN they said the group games count as regular season games (was known) but didn't say anything about QF games.

The Championship game will be only game that won’t count as a regular season game, all other games will.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It’s not the ultimate league championship so I fundamentally don’t get the appeal here. Are players going to give it their absolute all for this tournament like they would in the playoffs?? Doubtful.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It’s not the ultimate league championship so I fundamentally don’t get the appeal here. Are players going to give it their absolute all for this tournament like they would in the playoffs?? Doubtful.
Do players give their all during the regular season? I don't think so.

If they give 90%, that's better than the 80% they're currently giving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad