In your opinion what is holding Jack Eichel back?

Member 308457

One of the only things that is keeping Eichel from becoming the next Ryan Getzlaf is his confidence.
It's fine if the team is winning but if there are a few losses, he takes the team's problems on his shoulders and starts trying too hard. The longer the losing continues, then the body language starts
and he starts hanging his head. He's got to be more on an even keel although the stunning truth might be the Sabres still suck. If this is the case, I can see him bailing sooner than later.

But yes, confidence is everything.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
One of the only things that is keeping Eichel from becoming the next Ryan Getzlaf is his confidence.
It's fine if the team is winning but if there are a few losses, he takes the team's problems on his shoulders and starts trying too hard. The longer the losing continues, then the body language starts
and he starts hanging his head. He's got to be more on an even keel although the stunning truth might be the Sabres still suck. If this is the case, I can see him bailing sooner than later.

But yes, confidence is everything.
he needs a nice girl to treat him right.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
jack and Skinner are the only real constant threats for other teams to deal with on a nightly basis. if he ever gets some secondary scoring it'll make him that much more productive

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
What is holding Jack Eichel Back two things

1. Ankle Injury from his first seasons have affected him
2. Heart.

Before Eichel hurt his ankle he would fly down the wing and cut to the net. He rarely does it now.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Quickest way to fix Eichel is to give him a couple wingers he has no expectations from. He's not going to hold the puck waiting for Lazar to get open.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
The biggest problem is that His line + Risto + McCabe is one of the highest minutes played combos in the NHL. He cant get away from those 2 idiots

Reactions: toomuchsauce

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Mack having more total points than Jack was entirely due to PP production and playing 5 more games (82gms) than Jack (77gms). I think you’re searching for something thats not really a issue.

5v5 production
Jack —-> 47pts (.61ppg)
Mack —-> 47pts (.57ppg)

ES production
Jack —> 56pts (.73ppg)
Mack -> 62pts (.76ppg)

PP production
Jack —-> 26pts (.34ppg)
Mack —> 37pts (.45 ppg)

Total production
Jack —-> 82pts (1.07 ppg)
Mack —> 99pts (1.21 ppg)

True but Mackinnon was ahead of Eichel in all of these categories in 17-18, and so far in 19-20 I believe.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
True but Mackinnon was ahead of Eichel in all of these categories in 17-18, and so far in 19-20 I believe.

Last year was Jack’s 4th in the NHL. You’re talking about Mack’s 5th, 6th and now 7th. You’re missing that Jack steadily grew into that caliber player. Whereas an underperforming Mack had to snap out of that funk and went to a sports psychologist to do so. Full credit to him for doing so.

Also Jack’s first 4 years were much better than Mack’s. He also played a much tougher role during them as our #1 offense center from day 1. Whereas Mack was a winger his first 2 years then center. Make was very much underperforming.

Mack has also played with Raatanan/Landeskog during his surge of scoring the previous two years. Jack on a similar line (Skinner/Jack with occasionally Sam) put up the same type of numbers.

You’re trying to argue there is some psychological impediment to Jack’s play. That he needs to find another gear. The numbers tell us the only difference between Mack and Jack when in similar circumstances (strong linemates) is PP points. Not some need for Jack to find another gear.

You want Jack to put up 90-100pts? Then put him with Skinner/Sam and get a better PP.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabrebuild

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He is in the same immature stage to becoming the game in, game out, two way beast that he has the potential to become.

Just look at the growth to that kind of player that guys like Yzerman, Sakic, and Modano went through.

And it's the same kind of stuff that Ovi hinted at when he commented about the Leafs.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Personal discipline and commitment.
Immaturity.

He has ALL the tools.

I want him to succeed. Being critical is not the same as blaming and being hateful.

It really is a matter of engagement. I would love for him to succeed too. That would mean we would be watching at least one player who is enjoyable to watch and contributing in a positive way to this team. I don’t think he’s figured out that wanting to win and the commitment it takes constantly to bring your game have to be joined. No one else is coming, there is no cavalry, this is your team Jack. Act like it.

Last edited:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I think his biggest issue by far is his teammates, but I have to say that Dach's 2nd goal yesterday was shockingly poor by Jack.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think his biggest issue by far is his teammates, but I have to say that Dach's 2nd goal yesterday was shockingly poor by Jack.

I’m curious if I go back and search are you one of the people who used to talk about not wanting Jack to concentrate on the defensive side of the game? Because blaming his teammates for him not being engaged enough to responsibly pick up his check night after night? Or making bad changes? Or ill-timed turnovers and low success areas of the ice time after time that hand away points to other teams? That’s on him.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I’m curious if I go back and search are you one of the people who used to talk about not wanting Jack to concentrate on the defensive side of the game? Because blaming his teammates for him not being engaged enough to responsibly pick up his check night after night? Or making bad changes? Or ill-timed turnovers and low success areas of the ice time after time that hand away points to other teams? That’s on him.
No I wasn't, but I agree. My point is that if he had any sort of structure and a real team around him, things like that wouldn't be magnified so much. What you described tend to be pretty common complaints about a lot of high skill players. Pastrnak is a good example of a guy who has similar issues and is probably worse in terms of defensive engagement, but he is insulated by having a strong team around him so he can thrive. Lately Jack has to do everything for the team to have a chance.

That brutal play last night aside, I think Jack is putting in the effort this season as much as anyone on the team. Not to mention it feels like he creates more offensive chances than the rest of the team combined. He hasn't been great overall, and maybe he shouldn't have gotten the C, but I find it really hard to get on him when he has literally scored our last 5 goals and singlehandedly won us the last game. His on-ice awareness is a problem, but it's way down the list for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad