In your opinion what is holding Jack Eichel back?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Like with most other of the team's ailments, I think coaching is the main deficiency. Not so much systems and matchups (although that obviously is a factor), but someone who can help him mature as a hockey player. He was a raw talent when he came into the league, and in my opinion he's been forced to mostly learn on his own due to not having someone respectable at the helm.

This.+

Deleted member 27798

Regarding some comments above, if Jack needs better wingers than Skinner, than they better not be paying Skinner 8+ mil a year.

Reactions: EichHart

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jack’s demand for the puck has always left me wanting more. Not that he be a puck hog, but he had the tools to take possession away and almost sibglehandedly create dominant chances. He could seek the puck more, the demand if you will.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Let's see how the lottery balls bounce. That could fix the 2C spot real quick with Jack Hughes :)
Frustrating to see the Avs probably gonna get him with the pick they fleeced from the Sens for Duchene.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
He was much better before he got injured in January since then he wasn't the same.
Maybe there is something lingering plus the frustration of being on a dumpster fire of a team.
He tries too much and makes dumb descicions which are probably more attributed in him being frustrated than having not sufficent hockey IQ.
He seems to be a player who needs help to get to another level in the form of coaching (which is non existent)
Blysma didn't want to interact and Housley is just incompetent.
So there is a lot of bad habits in his game he needs to work on...
He always was behind his comparable peers in consistency and scoring...
That being said he is still a franchise center and good enough.
The Sabres have a pretty non existing chemistry as a team for a team sport...its almost like watching basketball.
There are worse rosters in the league but probably none with a worse coaching staff who acomplished nothing in 2 years.
You maybe void of talent but you at least make them play as a team.
Thats the main reason why Housley has to go...

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Jack’s demand for the puck has always left me wanting more. Not that he be a puck hog, but he had the tools to take possession away and almost sibglehandedly create dominant chances. He could seek the puck more, the demand if you will.

Since he got here, I have been pissed at all of our coaches. Kid has all the talent in the world and stupid Bylsma refused to mold and discipline him. Instead he wasted his whole rookie year acting as if Jack was Crosby or Ovechkin.

He needed real professional coaching and they screwed him over.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Let me preface that Jack Eichel is a tremendous hockey player, a legit top end star player. But, I think we can all agree that there is another gear and two that he should be at 4 full seasons into his NHL career. In a year where scoring is up, he sits 24th in the NHL at PPG at 1.04. Fifth for his draft year in total points. Only 27 goals in 72 goals is a massive disappointment for a guy with his shot, especially considering most of those came in two hot streaks.

His talent level and natural ability is way better then so many players who continue to outscore him and produce more consistent results, IMO there's no reason he shouldn't be a top 5-10 player in the league at this point relatively easily instead of a top 25-40 player.

What in your opinion is holding him back from being that consistent night in night out franchise defining consistent superstar? Coaching? bad teammates? hockey IQ? work ethic? attention to detail?

Eichel is a great player with a kid's mentality. He needs a teammate that he looks up to and respects.

A vet like Bergeron, which will of course never happen. I think we had a guy whose last name started with O, who could've filled that role.

Instead we got a guy whose contract was terminated, a useless Botka-guy and a giraffe who should be in the AHL.

Good times.

Member 308457

First, Eichel can't be the whole team.

After the season Buffalo has got to cut bait on the fatally flawed inconsistent guys who gum up the works. Losers like Girgensons, Sheary, Okposo, Bogosian, Ristolainen, Wilson, Scandella, Hunwick, Nelson, Sobotka and Larsson and possibly others have got to go. Buffalo needs to do a much better job evaluating talent.

The Sabres need better, tougher, smarter and faster players to make Eichel more effective. They need more rugged players who can open up the ice, not wispy guys who cower away from contact. They need guys who can pass tape to tape effortlessly as if second nature and shoot accurately WHILE UNDER PRESSURE. This is the NHL, where the rinks are small and players are big. Players need to do things constantly while under pressure. Maybe they need a skill coach for shooting and passing because over and over again, I see consistent failures in those two critical skills which mucks up the flow of the game. So they need skill.

Buffalo needs to develop guys and insert them WHEN READY into a core of guys with experience who know each other's tendencies. The vets have to still be useful as players and lead by example and not just talk. The vets must also do their part to stabilize the locker room, so the team doesn't get too high or low as Okposo said. Unfortunately he can't lead by example anymore....I think the lack of leadership has forced Eichel into a leadership role prematurely. He is guilty of immaturity, although it's not his fault. It's the fault of the organization, which has failed to build an effective chemistry around him. They need intangibles.

Last, Buffalo needs GREAT not good goaltending. They always have and always will need this in order to stay competitive because there are too many breakdowns. You can count on this.

Then again, maybe Eichel doesn't give a crap, isn't motivated and would rather be somewhere else. That's what too much losing does to young players. It ruins them.

Last edited by a moderator:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Eichel is a great player with a kid's mentality. He needs a teammate that he looks up to and respects.

A vet like Bergeron, which will of course never happen. I think we had a guy whose last name started with O, who could've filled that role.

Instead we got a guy whose contract was terminated, a useless Botka-guy and a giraffe who should be in the AHL.

Good times.

Would love to get a guy like Joe Thornton here on a 1 year deal (similar idea to getting Jagr here).

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
His job was to be a 60 point two-way center, not to hold Eichel's hand and be his big brother.
I didn't say he should have been, just that some people hoped he would have been (and the person I was responding to seems to think that he was). There are a lot of reasons to criticize the ROR trade, but getting rid of a veteran locker-room-leader-type player isn't one of them.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Frustration - Winning is everything to guys like him.

For those of us who have been onboard with this franchise for decades - some of us from the beginning - we're at the point of mirthful contempt. It's laughable now.

... but for elite level competitive personalities, there has to be times where he's thinking, "WTF is Phil doing?" There has to be doubts among some players as well - and not just with Phil. It's been discussed in other threads about Andrew Allen, where are we with goal tending and what that does to confidence in the guys you're playing with.

He's won at every level except here and it's not getting any better.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
As always the Sabers organization puts way too much pressure on a young player. Starts with the captaincy. Why is a child the captain of this hockey team? Hasn't been a pro 5 years, knows nothing of the Playoffs and what it takes to get there or win there. Has shown he's not mature enough and has hardly any experience in the league. But yea, Eichel!

Probably the worst captain in the league. I'd throw Landeskog and McDavid in there as well. Sure, great players but you're going to battle every night and you want this kid in the room to lead your squad? Absurd.

Sabers always rush players and when they cant hack it at a young age they move them before they hit their stride.

Eichel is good. He's played with Kane, O'reilly and now Skinner and has shown if he has a winger he can put up points.

The problem always starts at the top. Horrible Owner decisions that lead to terrible GM decisions that lead to bad Coaching decisions.

The brightest spots of this organization are the ones that any one of us could have made.

Dahlin. Eichel.

The fact that this organization is again in a top 5 position at the draft is nauseating. The Sabers are worse than Edmonton.

No words describe how much of a mess this team is. It's only going to get worse next season. No one wants to play here because of this teams efficiency at making poor decisions.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
On balance, I'm quite happy with Eichel. He's improved every year on garbage teams (23rd, 26th, 31st, currently 26th), and I fully expect that to continue.

I'd like to see super-Jack more consistently. His frustration visibly creeps into his game sometimes, and a Captain simply cannot do that, even if he's the heart-on-sleeve person Jack appears to be.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Ppg player, on a team that struggles to score, on team with a shoddy PP, and we’ve seen him perform on the PP, and Skinner is addicted to posts for the last 2 months. I reject the overall premise. Jack hasn’t been a disappointment. He can take over a game and has. He can’t play goalie. He can’t do anything about how bad our defenseman are at breaking the puck out. He’s a good PP coach and Skinner not hitting 4 posts a game away from being right with the top players in points and he’s already there in game play.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Sometimes when a player is talented coaches tend to let them do what they want and stop coaching them...treat them differently than other players. I think that there are small areas in his game that could be addressed that would improve his game. One thing I noticed last night was his reaction after his goal on the pass he received from Olafsson which isn't something I have seen a lot from him. It was a genuine look of appreciation and respect towards Olafsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->