In your opinion, how many pieces is your favorite team away from winning the cup?

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Hard to answer for Anaheim. I can only assume Eaves and Kesler will never ever be the same but IF they were fine I'd say we're there or one top six winger away.

Reactions: Getzmonster

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Islanders need a very good #2 center, two top 4 defensemen, a legitimate starting goaltender and a couple years of developing.

Oh and luck, lots of it. Might not be a player but they still need a lot of it

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
there's no such thing as a cup lock. The Leafs have a good enough group to win a cup now, but this league is very hard to win. They could have a great team for the next decade and still not do much more than win a round, like Washington

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Elite #1, elite #1d and a 30 goal/65 point minimum winger . It's been that way since Messier and Leetch

Last edited:

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I dont know about winning the cup, many teams have had the pieces but have never managed to win a cup.

I'm going to answer it differently.

To become legitimate contenders however, we need to improve our defense and add another top defenseman. Hughes could become our number one defenseman, we don't have anyone after that. Juolevi maybe, but he's a top 4, not top 2.

We've got great prospect depth at forward, and our strongest asset is our goaltending. At least one of Demko or DiPietro are going to be our #1 goaltender, my money on Demko.

As for center, all of that lies with Pettersson. If he can make the change to center (he has experience but hasn't played center in over a year), then center shouldn't be our main priority. Horvat and Gaudette are going to be excellent 2nd and 3rd line center man.

TLDR: at least 2 more years of drafting top 10, and we should have the pieces necessary to at the very least start making our way to becoming contenders. 1st line centerman (if Pettersson doesn't pan out at center) and another top 2 defenseman followed by consistent drafting.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I think there are 5-8 teams that could honestly win the cup and there would be 0 surprises.

I also think it would be very difficult to get a complete lock before the season starts.

I guess if any of those teams get Karlsson, that would be as close to a lock as you can get in the NHL, but even then, I don't think it would be a foregone conclusion. I just think other teams would ratchet up the arms race as well.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No one is ever a lock for a Cup. With that said..

Jets are a strong playmaking top 6 center and a capable backup away from being very serious contenders.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers need a d-man better than any d-man they currently have. And a legitimate top 6 RWer or two. With those additions I think they'd be able to contend assuming you were just adding those pieces to the roster and not losing a tonne of assets to add them. And somehow they don't cost any cap space either.....

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Blues seem to have all the pieces in place, minus consistent goaltending. Allen has played at a high level for fairly long stretches so I don't think it rules us out but it is a point against us. Other than that, I guess we'd exchange Schenn or ROR for a true top ten center to put us in the top 2-3 teams in the league. Right now, I'd say we're in the 6-8 range. 4-5 if Allen is good.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Edm needs more top 6 help (winger help), better defense and more depth. The team is a complete mess outside mcDavid, which makes what he has done so far all the more unbelievable. Casual mode activate this year, that’s for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad