In your opinion future hall of famers

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Well I'm bored as hell so I thought after seeing that thread on the main boards about future hall of famers under the age of 30 I'd post a similar one here. Who do you guys think has the potential to be in the hall of fame once their careers are done (under the age of 30)

I'd say for me the following guys will probably end up in the hall: (there's leaf content so I guess I can put this thread here without any qualms):

Corey Perry
Patrice Bergeron
Jonathan Toews
Patrick Kane
Anze Kopitar (probably just for being the best Slovenian hockey player of all time I guess)
Jonathan Quick
Carey Price
Ryan Suter
Zach Parise
Shea Weber
John Tavares
Erik Karlsson
Claude Giroux
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Phil Kessel
Alexander Ovechkin
Steven Stamkos
Which of them do you think don't belong etc.. your own lists...what are your thoughts

Last edited:

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
A lot of those guys are very good players, but if they go into the hall it'd either be a mistake or they'll have found a way to greatly increase their trajectory. Kessel will probably only make it if he reaches at least 550 goals in his career, and a lot of the other guys will need some hardware if they're going to make it with their numbers at this stage of their careers. And others are way too early to tell how their careers turn out as well. Guys who are <25, you don't know if they Lindros their way through injuries and have a derailed career.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
A lot of those guys are very good players, but if they go into the hall it'd either be a mistake or they'll have found a way to greatly increase their trajectory. Kessel will probably only make it if he reaches at least 550 goals in his career, and a lot of the other guys will need some hardware if they're going to make it with their numbers at this stage of their careers. And others are way too early to tell how their careers turn out as well. Guys who are <25, you don't know if they Lindros their way through injuries and have a derailed career.

Well thats what I meant if none of them goes through injury for me the locks are probably just Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin with Stamkos being borderline the rest are up for debate but I think a few of them will be in for sure. The quality of hockey players has started to moreso even out compared to other leagues where stars are scarce. I mean in the NHL you could probably find a star player on almost every team and someone who could very well see the hall of fame on probably 10-15 teams which is really good for parity of the league.

To be fully honest I just made a list after looking at every teams list of players and who I thought with their scoring or accomplishments seemed to be on trajectory to end with a great career.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
Crosby is probably the only one who would be a lock for the hall. To early to be able to tell for most of the others.

Also, not sure why this is on the Leafs forum and not the General Discussion board.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Well I'm bored as hell so I thought after seeing that thread on the main boards about future hall of famers under the age of 30 I'd post a similar one here. Who do you guys think has the potential to be in the hall of fame once their careers are done (under the age of 30)

I'd say for me the following guys will probably end up in the hall: (there's leaf content so I guess I can put this thread here without any qualms):

Corey Perry -- Doubt it. Would likely need to get 500 goals
Patrice Bergeron -- Doubt it. Hall of Very Good
Jonathan Toews -- Not a lock, but expect him to get in 100%
Patrick Kane -- Expect him to get in 100%, has points, some hardware, Cups
Anze Kopitar -- Tough call for me. Probably ends up just shy. If he elevates his level this could change
Jonathan Quick -- 50-50. A Vezina would be huge, as would some more big seasons
Carey Price -- 50-50. Vezina goes a long way, if he keeps winning 30 games a year hes in
Ryan Suter -- Unlikely. Amazing defenseman, but not as well known as Weber. This matters
Zach Parise -- Unlikely. Only way it happens is if Minny becomes a dynasty where he is their "Toews"
Shea Weber -- Probably. The best all-around defenseman of his generation
John Tavares 50-50. Some 90 - 100 pt seasons would do a lot for his case.
Erik Karlsson 50-50. Easily has the ability, depends on his ability to stay a 80 pt guy
Claude Giroux Love him, but probably unlikely. Hall of Very Good
Sidney Crosby -- Lock.
Evgeni Malkin -- Lock.
Phil Kessel -- Again, love him, but unlikely. Hall of Very Good. Would need 500 goals to get in
Alexander Ovechkin -- Lock.
Steven Stamkos -- Not a lock yet, but 100% him to get in
Which of them do you think don't belong etc.. your own lists...what are your thoughts

My thoughts.

Of your list I personally see: Toews, Kane, Quick, Price, Tavares, Karlsson, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Stamkos getting in.

Karlsson IMO will continue to put up PPG seasons for at least next 3 - 4 years, and that will attract voters in a way Weber, Suter wont. Weber and Suter would need some Norris's

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Too hard to tell with injuries and what not.

I'd say only Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin are locks right now. Although Lundqvist is getting up there too, specially with his international play. I believe he's 2nd in Wins during the Olympics.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Just copied the OP's list.

Corey Perry - I don't think so. If his career is cut short from today on, maybe, but I think he will have a steady decline soon. I think you need to win multiple awards or score at a fairly constant rate, like Sundin. He does have the Richard, so he will be in discussion, and if he wins one more award he's a lock.

Patrice Bergeron - He needs to win the Selke a few more times, IMO, or a few more cups. Not unreasonable though.

Jonathan Toews - Yep. I don't think he's a lock, but like Sundin, he does everything so well, and scores at fairly steady pace. I'm gonna assume he stay healthy. If he starts to slide in health, that would certainly jeopardize his chances.

Patrick Kane - I think it's a given that he scores enough points to put him there. He also has the Conn Smythe, that helps. Again, like Toews, if he suddenly declines in play for any reason, it's not as clear.

Anze Kopitar - Only if he stays at a high scoring pace. I don't think it's as simple as Kane or Toews. He needs more hardware, IMO.

Jonathan Quick - Like most on this list it all comes down to pacing over a career. If he ends up with 400+ wins, then yes, easily. More hardware=more chances.

Carey Price - Same as Quik

Ryan Suter - No hardware, no high scoring, no chance. There is at least 30 #1's in the league, that isn't special enough, IMO.

Zach Parise - I would bet no. His scoring has dipped that last few years, he has no hardware, and is signed until Christ comes home to a defensive team.

Shea Weber - Yep. But that's assuming he does finally win a Norris. Otherwise, maybe...? He is a high scoring Dman

John Tavares - I would bet a lot on yes. No real reason yet, but I'm assuming he at least scores 500g, and 1100 points. That's enough, considering it will likely be well earned, on his behalf. Not gifted scoring by some other, better player.

Erik Karlsson - Norris - yep. Scoring - Yep. ONly if he plummets will he be held out.

Claude Giroux - He'll have to get back to scoring at a regular, high pace.

Sidney Crosby - Already worthy.

Evgeni Malkin - Already worthy

Phil Kessel - He'll have to maintain his high scoring pace for at least 7 more years, or win some real hardware. He's in the same boat as Kopitar or Tavares as far as what they've earned so far, ... nothing yet.

Alexander Ovechkin - Already worthy

Steven Stamkos - Already worthy

Other notables

Jonathan Bernier - This is his first year as an elite G, and I only bring him up as we are Leaf fans, but if he stays at this level for another 10 seasons, he's a lock, IMO, but that is a looong way off for now.

PK Subban - I think he will. He has the drive, the physical commitment to excercise, and he is highly talented. I don't think his Norris season is a one-off, shortened season thing. We'll see it again.

Alex Pieterangelo - I think we'll see him win a Norris or 2 when his career is over, and he is on a team that plays playoff dominating hockey. I'm guessing they win the Cup real soon, and he is a huge part of that. Should've been a leaf:cry:

Drew Doughty - I think he will sneak in after a few seasons of being on the ballot. He has a long way to go until he gets into what I consider a Dman's prime, their 30's, and he is already a Cup winner and Olympic Gold champ, all while being a top D on both teams.

Ryan Getzlaf - He'll need to level off as a top scorer, year in and year out, and he hasn't yet. Combined with a lack of any hardware and Sid, OV, Malkin and Stamkos stealing all the Hart and Art Ross trophies over his prime, I doubt he gets there. Maybe as a player the NHL wants to celebrate to pump up the smaller market team.

Nicklas Backstrom - If he maintains his scoring pace of PPG over most of his career, he should have the numbers.

Taylor Hall - Has all the natural skill to be a HOF player, if his body holds out to give him a long career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad