In watching video of Peter Forsberg, I am reminded of Crosby.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
am i wrong in thinking them to be stylistically similar? i have only gotten to see forsberg in a collection of 19 games i was able to download online, and of course in highlights on youtube and the like. apart from that, i only saw the latter stages of his career.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
This is still one of my favorite hockey videos that I just have to watch again every year.

Crosby and Forsberg had some similarities when it comes to holding onto puck but that's about it. To me Forsberg was so much more entertaining to watch due to his physicality.

Reactions: Laus723

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah there are similarities between the two. Both were/are very hard to knock off the puck. Both possessed tremendous leg strength. Great playmakers. Great vision. Similar playing style for sure.

The differences between the two:

Crosby is the better goal scorer, better backhand

Forsberg was grittier and a litttle better defensively. Forsberg also had this legendary move where when people came to hit him he would throw his body at them knocking them off balance or putting the opposing checker on his a$$.

Reactions: Laus723 and gumgum

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
They both absolutely owned pucks down low below the goal lines. That's probably their biggest similarity.
this was the main quality i gathered as being comparable between the 2 as well. that, and that they use a shorter stick without much curve to the blade; it's like they sort of use the stick as an extension of their body instead of this whole separate entity. can't think of a more cogent way to describe how it appears to me. always felt this way about kessel during the rush and brad marchand along the boards, also. it is likely just the result of insane hand-eye coordination.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Crosby at his peak was sort of a blend of Forsberg and Sakic stylistically. Better than both though.

why is it you feel he was better? era-based or because he was more multi-faceted?

with crosby, i feel similarly about him as i do bergeron, where i believe both would have been very different players long-term sans obviously unfortunate head injuries.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
why is it you feel he was better? era-based or because he was more multi-faceted?

with crosby, i feel similarly about him as i do bergeron, where i believe both would have been very different players long-term sans obviously unfortunate head injuries.

Crosby’s concussion didn’t change his game, his ppg was static from 2010-2013. The only injury that ever changed Crosby’s game was the ankle injury, where 87 didn’t regain his absurd explosiveness for almost two years after it happened.

The better question is in what way wasn’t he better? Crosby was better versus his peers, was a better goal scorer and has accomplished more already despite losing his prime years to injury.

Reactions: 99664987 and gumgum

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018

I agree with him also. I feel Crosby was better. Why? Tough to answer. Both were awesome but Crosby’s been the undisputed best player for a long time over many seasons. Forsberg definitely was for a season or two as well but the era he played in there were players better than him Or better than him at times (so maybe for a season or two): Lemieux, Jagr. Lindros, Sakic, Modano, Federov, Selanne, Kariya, etc

Reactions: gumgum

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Why is Crosby better?

Better prime, better point totals, better post season results, better trophy case, etc.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Crosby’s concussion didn’t change his game, his ppg was static from 2010-2013. The only injury that ever changed Crosby’s game was the ankle injury, where 87 didn’t regain his absurd explosiveness for almost two years after it happened.

The better question is in what way wasn’t he better? Crosby was better versus his peers, was a better goal scorer and has accomplished more already despite losing his prime years to injury.
i always felt crosby rushed the puck in open ice much more often, like bergeron, before the concussions. i feel as though he went more to a cycle game after. i hadn't considered his ankle injury (which actually nagged him quite a bit for like 2 years almost iirc?).

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
This is still one of my favorite hockey videos that I just have to watch again every year.

Crosby and Forsberg had some similarities when it comes to holding onto puck but that's about it. To me Forsberg was so much more entertaining to watch due to his physicality.

he is my favorite hockey player.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Never thought of it this way before and Forsberg is right up there with Gretzky and Messier for me. But I might have to lean slightly toward Sid as well. Perhaps for longevity, maybe leadership. I absolutely loved watching PF play though.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
i always felt crosby rushed the puck in open ice much more often, like bergeron, before the concussions. i feel as though he went more to a cycle game after. i hadn't considered his ankle injury (which actually nagged him quite a bit for like 2 years almost iirc?).

This is a common misconception that’s easy to believe if you hadn’t watched him his whole career. He doesn’t rush the puck much anymore relatively, but like I said the concussion/ neck injury isn’t what changed anything. His game was as good as ever in 2013 but was shortened by a puck to the mouth and the lockout.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They're both players in the Trottier mold. Thick playmaking centres that are hard to take the puck from. Crosby is a better goalscorer and a more diverse offensive player. Forsberg was more physical and a bit better defensively. Each lost out on trophies due to injuries. Crosby changed his style a few times while Forsberg never did, which is part of why Forsberg missed so much time but also admirable in a way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad