Prospect Info: In the System Part VII (Preds Prospect/Minor League Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Trenin is a lot faster than last year. Our defensemen can actually skate and pass!

I didn't think that Matt Donovan was stellar on defense, but he had a nice PP goal at the end of period one. Filip Pyrochta has a wicked wrist shot.

Fred Allard had 2 assists. Carrier looked steady on defense, just like last year. Jarred Tinordi is a big defenseman at 6-6.

You saw the Tolvanen goal in the post by King Weber. A nice simple play for a score. He made a few tough passes in traffic tonight. Jeremy Gregoire was in a small fight. I didn't see what started it other than Tyler Lewington seemed to say something to him at the far blue line. The Trenin goal came from an Allard shot that went off the end boards. Trenin spun and flipped it at the net to make another rebound and it went into the net. The Ads scored 2 goals in period one and three in period two in a 5-1 win over the hapless Hershey Bears who were out skated by Milwaukee in periods 2 and 3. Washington will be disappointed if they call up any of the Bears. I am not surprised that they are 0-4 when their defense consists of smacking the puck carrier with sticks and shoving players without the puck from behind.

Troy Grosenick stopped 24 of 25 shots and the other one was lucky.

The starters were Yakov Trenin centering Justin Kirkland on the left and newcomer Mathieu Olivier on the right. Jerrod Tinordi and Alexandre Carrier were the D-men. IIRC, Carrier was on the right.

The team looks faster than last season. The D looked much better, but last year's was kind of dismal. The offense isn't in sync, yet they put in 5!

The PP was 1 of 4. That needs some work. One played kept refusing to shoot from the circle. That drives me crazy! I think it was Connor Brickley, who assisted on Nicholas Baptiste's goal, the final one for the Admirals.

The attendance was 6300, all of whom were out in the concourse whenever I was.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
You'd think so. Last one down, first one up. I think he'd bring more than Salomaki who isn't playing poorly, but is the weakest part of that line this far.

Plus, Grimaldi was one of our better forwards in the postseason. Maybe he's not cut from the right cloth for a 4th liner but with Rinaldo and Sissons it's already pretty physical. He'd have something to give offensively.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
The Admirals gave up so many chances in the 1st against Ontario. Shots 18-9 Reign. If McCollum was playing we'd probably be down 4 goals already. Instead it's 2-1.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Pyrochta keeps the puck at the line, spins to the wall. Passes back to the point for a shot, rebound to Richard who backhands it into the net. Great play by Pyrochta.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
The Admirals gave up so many chances in the 1st against Ontario. Shots 18-9 Reign. If McCollum was playing we'd probably be down 4 goals already. Instead it's 2-1.

While defense/goaltending looks to be questionable, at least we're playing entertaining hockey compared to what we've seen the past couple years.

Missed last night's game, but I have to wonder after being at the Chicago game... has Trenin improved THAT much or did Evason simply refuse to play him? Taylor has him screening the goalies on PP, which seems like something Evason refused to do, despite the fact that almost ever other team uses that strategy on the PP.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
While defense/goaltending looks to be questionable, at least we're playing entertaining hockey compared to what we've seen the past couple years.

Missed last night's game, but I have to wonder after being at the Chicago game... has Trenin improved THAT much or did Evason simply refuse to play him? Taylor has him screening the goalies on PP, which seems like something Evason refused to do, despite the fact that almost ever other team uses that strategy on the PP.
Can't say that I don't wonder a bit if guys like Forsberg and Fiala develop in spite of Evason, and some of those guys we thought should just need some seasoning and never developed can squarely put on Evason.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Can't say that I don't wonder a bit if guys like Forsberg and Fiala develop in spite of Evason, and some of those guys we thought should just need some seasoning and never developed can squarely put on Evason.

That's just picking and choosing to suit your opinion of the former coach. Like many around here did with Trotz. To some, anyone who succeeded did so in spite of him, and anyone who failed did so because he couldn't develop or properly coach talented players.

I'm pretty sure the ultimate arbiter of success or failure lies in both the talent and the mentality of the player.

Reactions: Viqsi

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
That's just picking and choosing to suit your opinion of the former coach. Like many around here did with Trotz. To some, anyone who succeeded did so in spite of him, and anyone who failed did so because he couldn't develop or properly coach talented players.

I'm pretty sure the ultimate arbiter of success or failure lies in both the talent and the mentality of the player.

I agree with this as well. Entertaining hockey does not correlate to good development or vice-versa. While Evanson's style may not have been interesting to watch, it would be interesting to see how well the offensively-talented players develop their defensive skills under Taylor.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Not really, that's just pointing out that sometimes guys are good enough to overcome some bad coaching. I don't blame him or Trotz for every failure.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I have a journalist friend who covers NCAA hockey. Said Vomacka got his first start tonight for UCONN and described the performance as "solid".

Not much, but it's always good to start on the right foot.

OK, the Go Vegan and the bull mask photo was awesome.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Trenin was hurt last season. I think it was a shoulder, which you kind of need for hockey.

He used to go straight up and down the ice, kind of like a push rod hockey player. He roams more now and does it with more speed than last year. He has tossed a few big hits. He never did that until the last 6 weeks of last season, usually because somebody checked him first.

As usual, I agree with your various points. I think that Evason's system held him back. I didn't think he would even return to Milwaukee. He seemed that unhappy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad