Prospect Info: In the System IX (Ads and Prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
What if he's inspired a young kid, who's gay, to keep playing because of what he did today? I get it that we want to see all our guys succeed on the ice and for the team to do well, at the same time, there is bigger picture stuff going on here and this is a huge step in the right direction.
I don't think anyone cares that he came out, we just aren't all that concerned about it. If he inspired someone then great, but it has no bearing on me rooting for a my team and its players. Being gay isn't that big of a deal anymore. In fact I'm going to guess for most people if you told them you were gay they would just say, great but what is that you like to do?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Gay teenagers are 3x more likely to attempt suicide than a heterosexual teen, and 8.5 times more likely to attempt in a "not accepted" situation. While it would be nice if the arguments of nobody cares would be nice, they just aren't accurate. Explain these numbers if nobody cares?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Gay teenagers are 3x more likely to attempt suicide than a heterosexual teen, and 8.5 times more likely to attempt in a "not accepted" situation. While it would be nice if the arguments of nobody cares would be nice, they just aren't accurate. Explain these numbers if nobody cares?
Because while more excepted by mature adults we all know kids can be mean, the slightest perceived flaw will be exploited by the bully of the playground. I bet overweight teens experience similar numbers relative to fit teens.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Sports locker rooms (especially highly competitive rooms with many alpha personalities trying to find their place) are not going to mirror regular reasonable adult society.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Because while more excepted by mature adults we all know kids can be mean, the slightest perceived flaw will be exploited by the bully of the playground. I bet overweight teens experience similar numbers relative to fit teens.

Gay teens have the highest rate of suicide amongst any population in teenagers. You are correct in that teens are brutal and suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death. All shapes and sizes on all sides of every population are represented in those numbers. Not interested in a debate and if you are there's literally dozens of websites you can read every suicide fact until your hearts content. The important part of those numbers, is that having a single influence or positive outlook from an adult dropped the suicide attempt rate 8.5 times. That's a substantial difference for a small matter of helping someone feel accepted.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Teenagers are down right awful at times, combined with all of the hormone changes and life changes that are going on then I fully expect any group of teenagers dealing with something outside the " norm " to see an increase in things like suicide rates. When you are young like that you are grasping for everything, including being able to deal with family, friends and how they will handle things. I mean yeah some parents today are going to go nuts over it, but that's going to be the case for anything. I dare say most of the time friends and family know most gay and lesbians are gay and lesbian before the individual themselves have come to grips with it. I mean I have some friends even right now in their 30's I think are gay and just haven't been able to admit it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Working in the mental health field, not many years from my own houseful of teenagers, it's frankly terrifying at times.
I mean I can remember my own times at that age when I thought about suicide and my life wasn't that bad. I had a good set of parents and had what I needed. Dealing with all of those emotions is rough, some of which you don't even understand. I mean there is a reason grunge was very popular with my age group in the early 90's and it wasn't because we were all feeling so awesome.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Gay teens have the highest rate of suicide amongst any population in teenagers. You are correct in that teens are brutal and suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death. All shapes and sizes on all sides of every population are represented in those numbers. Not interested in a debate and if you are there's literally dozens of websites you can read every suicide fact until your hearts content. The important part of those numbers, is that having a single influence or positive outlook from an adult dropped the suicide attempt rate 8.5 times. That's a substantial difference for a small matter of helping someone feel accepted.
Great info thank you!

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
I mean I can remember my own times at that age when I thought about suicide and my life wasn't that bad.

Mental health is heavily influenced by your surroundings, but not only. There have been enough people commiting suicide whose lives were not 'that bad' either.
You can be the richtest person in a good family and still think that life is not worth much...

I agree that coming out as gay shouldn't be a big deal, but apparently it is, because he is the first one in the history of the league.
Around 3.5% of the US population is gay, and there have been around 10'000 NHL contracts signed so far, you can figure the number of athletes that didn't risk coming out.
So as irrelevant as it should be, it actually is a big deal that someone takes that step.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Mental health is heavily influenced by your surroundings, but not only. There have been enough people commiting suicide whose lives were not 'that bad' either.
You can be the richtest person in a good family and still think that life is not worth much...

I agree that coming out as gay shouldn't be a big deal, but apparently it is, because he is the first one in the history of the league.
Around 3.5% of the US population is gay, and there have been around 10'000 NHL contracts signed so far, you can figure the number of athletes that didn't risk coming out.
So as irrelevant as it should be, it actually is a big deal that someone takes that step.
I guess it is for that group, I just don't think that many people care at this point. It isn't even the gay part of it, its more that everyone is more or less started to ignore and mock the whole media " firsts " because there seems to be a first for everything. It's kind of like holding a Guinness World Record, does it really mean anything to most people at this point?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
OHL is going to allow under agers to return to the AHL if they played a minimum of 20 games last year. That gives us the most viable option for Tomasino to start the year. I would much prefer to let him get rolling in Milwaukee with some games under his belt and then bring him up, or if he starts here hot after training camp and then cools down, we now have a reasonable option to let him go back down and level his head.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Pretty sure he would have been AHL eligible regardless. But screw that, he torched the A last year. I want him here....
Yeah, he already graduated from the AHL. I guess for us Evangelista played in Chicago... sporadically anyway... this might make him eligible to play in the AHL, but I don't think he really should. He's not in that class of player who is most likely to benefit from an earlier pro start. That's more for guys like Seth Jarvis from the Chicago group.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Yeah, he already graduated from the AHL. I guess for us Evangelista played in Chicago... sporadically anyway... this might make him eligible to play in the AHL, but I don't think he really should. He's not in that class of player who is most likely to benefit from an earlier pro start. That's more for guys like Seth Jarvis from the Chicago group.
Evangelista only played in 14 games last season, so he would not qualify under this clause.

With the amount of time that he spent sitting at home waiting for the OHL to open up last season, I too would prefer for his development to go back to juniors and learn to dominate before beginning the next phase of his pro career.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
The whole AHL/OHL you can't play here rule is old and antiquated. Be a shame to see us pick up a kid tonight and us not be able to play with our new toy simply because of his age and he did not dominate in training camp.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The whole AHL/OHL you can't play here rule is old and antiquated. Be a shame to see us pick up a kid tonight and us not be able to play with our new toy simply because of his age and he did not dominate in training camp.
It's just an agreement between the two leagues for their own mutual benefit. It's not like anything nefarious. Both the CHL and NHL benefit from this agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad