Prospect Info: In the System IX (Ads and Prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
i could have done without the latter part of that tweet. talk about duds.
Yeah, I think from his perspective it's more a tweet about the depth they have in Milwaukee. I agree that those names don't prove success, but they don't disprove it either. They do have age on their side, and Trenin has already shown he likely isn't out of place in the NHL. That being said that group will only have 1 or 2 players that turn into much.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Admirals won again yesterday. Eeli had another goal. Probably won't have the chance to see how this team would fare in the playoffs though, such a shame.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Admirals won again yesterday. Eeli had another goal. Probably won't have the chance to see how this team would fare in the playoffs though, such a shame.

The playoffs are a month or more away. The Ads last scheduled game is Saturday April 11th. This COVID-19 panic may have abated by that time.

I agree that it is a shame. The Ads are #1. The Bucks, who I don't follow, are #1. My home boys, the Dayton Flyers, are #3 in both NCAA basketball polls with a 29-2 record. They have already played #1 Kansas on a neutral court and took them into overtime before losing. It may be the best team in school history. I was hoping to see them do what the 1967 team couldn't. Win a NCAA basketball title!

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Who knows, really. Could be lots of reasons, he may just want to finish his degree at 21, that'd be a good accomplishment for a hockey player. If he is still a psychology major, that's also a little more evidence of educational importance for him vs. what a lot of players are taking. Or he could look up and see Ekholm and Josi ahead of him. Or... well, any number of things. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Although it probably wouldn't be great for him developmentally to return to a league that he has already dominated, it's just 1 year. Or... he may sign today.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Kealty made a comment today that they are going to give Tomasino a chance to make this team next year, but also be patient if needed. I hadn't really even entertained that idea because of his age, but boy would that be an exciting development. He has EXPLODED with his development in the last 12 months. If he continues at this development pace does he start to benefit more from a sheltered NHL role than he would from heavy minutes in the OHL? Let him play heavy offensive deployment, power play, good linemates etc.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, don't know what good will a year more in the juniors do for him. He's basically maxed out there.

I see him as a comparable for the Blues' Robert Thomas, who also like Tomasino tore up the OHL in his draft +1 year and then joined the Blues.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think scouting directors or assistant GMs etc ever want to say anything but that players will have a chance to make the team. That's a reasonable motivation and in a proper meritocracy both sides should be going in with an open mind.

That said, Tomasino probably still has some filling out to do, and he doesn't even turn 19 until later this summer. I wouldn't like the idea of him being a part time player on our team. It could go either way in terms of helping his development, but I'd also like to think that NEITHER way should hurt him. Playing on a Memorial Cup hosting team, presumably playing in the World Juniors, those are opportunities that don't come along too often, and I think those would be great experiences for Tomasino. We can wait another year while he goes off on those adventures. Unless you tell me he can step straight into a regular productive role in our Top 6. But that's stretching the odds a little too much, probably.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to give him his 9 games, just to let him see what kind of stuff he needs to work on, because he's clearly pretty close to being an NHL'er. Then go off from there, work on the weaknesses, build muscle and get good experience from a hopeful run for the Memorial Cup for his team etc.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to give him his 9 games, just to let him see what kind of stuff he needs to work on, because he's clearly pretty close to being an NHL'er. Then go off from there, work on the weaknesses, build muscle and get good experience from a hopeful run for the Memorial Cup for his team etc.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Agreed except just to nitpick even the "give him 9 games"... he still has to earn those 9 games and be better than Tolvanen or whoever else might be gunning for those spots. If he's not ready physically, he doesn't automatically get the 9 games either.

I don't know if I've observed a lot of benefit coming out of the various "give him the 9 games" scenarios with prospects in the past. Mostly it ends up being they truly aren't ready, in which case they are jerked around a bit, in the pressbox, low minutes, etc. Or they're actually pretty good and you don't want to send them away after the 9 games, or... you're still not really sure after 9 games and end up jerking the player around even more past the 9 games and end up regretting it. Most of these guys train well and have some exposure to the world now, I don't know how much they really benefit from the off-ice experience of what it's like to be on an NHL team. They'll get that eventually anyway. And maybe it actually takes a little something out of them sometimes to have that lifestyle for a month and then go back to riding the buses in junior? I guess I'm not too much of a fan of arbitrarily doing the 9 game trial. It really should just be if the player truly may be ready and you're simply still not sure even after camp if you want to keep him all year on the team or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad