Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
With Tanguay and Iginla in their late 30's Hayes has to see that he could easily be in our top 9 in a year or 2.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yep...but is he a patient man or does he want it now?

I was watching the hockeybuzz podcast and they had Page Lewis, who works for the Panthers and she made a point about how the hawks treated his bro, bouncing him around from the pros to the A and back and says K Hayes wants none of that, whatsoever. He wants to play in the NHL. Now.
So whichever team signs hims has to give in to his demands or he ends up playing in the KHL, or the swiss league, or whatever. Which obv. isnt happening, some team will be desperate enough to give him what he wants.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I've been thinking about it recently and I'm becoming more and more convinced that Wilson will still be on the team next year. My reasoning:

1) He's a left shot. The 3 guys you would assume he's battling with (Noreau, Elliott, Guenin) are all right handed shots. With Roy liking to keep 8 defensemen around, he may like to have 4 lefties and 4 righties. Guenin played the left side a bit last year, but he sucks with the puck and is even worse on his off-side.

2) 2 of the 3 right handed defensemen he'd be battling with are purely offensive guys in Elliott and Noreau. You'd think they'd maybe want a physical left defenseman with those guys, right?

3) He played surprisingly well when he had to step into a tough situation in the playoffs, and may have redeemed himself in Roy's eyes. This organization keeps giving him chances even when we think he's out of them.

Ultimately, his cap hit doesn't matter at this point. If you bury him in the minors, the cap savings are almost nothing compared to burying Guenin or Elliott in the minors.

Training camp should have some interesting battles. I'm hoping Cliche fades into obscurity.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've been thinking about it recently and I'm becoming more and more convinced that Wilson will still be on the team next year. My reasoning:

1) He's a left shot. The 3 guys you would assume he's battling with (Noreau, Elliott, Guenin) are all right handed shots. With Roy liking to keep 8 defensemen around, he may like to have 4 lefties and 4 righties. Guenin played the left side a bit last year, but he sucks with the puck and is even worse on his off-side.

2) 2 of the 3 right handed defensemen he'd be battling with are purely offensive guys in Elliott and Noreau. You'd think they'd maybe want a physical left defenseman with those guys, right?

3) He played surprisingly well when he had to step into a tough situation in the playoffs, and may have redeemed himself in Roy's eyes. This organization keeps giving him chances even when we think he's out of them.

Ultimately, his cap hit doesn't matter at this point. If you bury him in the minors, the cap savings are almost nothing compared to burying Guenin or Elliott in the minors.

Training camp should have some interesting battles. I'm hoping Cliche fades into obscurity.

I'm not sure they really have much of a plan with all those depth D men. I think they just brought in a bunch of guys to create competition and decided to evaluate things during camp.

If some of those guys force them into making some tough decisions like sending down some one way salaries, or potentially losing Elliott to waivers, then they're willing to do it for the sake of what they think makes a better D unit.

Wilson's definitely got a shot, but so do all the other guys. He's definitely got a leg up as a lefty though.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I was watching the hockeybuzz podcast and they had Page Lewis, who works for the Panthers and she made a point about how the hawks treated his bro, bouncing him around from the pros to the A and back and says K Hayes wants none of that, whatsoever. He wants to play in the NHL. Now.
So whichever team signs hims has to give in to his demands or he ends up playing in the KHL, or the swiss league, or whatever. Which obv. isnt happening, some team will be desperate enough to give him what he wants.

Did you get any feel for his comfort level of being outside of the top 6/9 for now? I mean, there is a big difference between going to a good team where he could play on the third or fourth line for a spell until he forces his way up or going to a terrible team and getting lots of minutes immediately. Playing in the NHL is one thing...getting lots of minutes guaranteed is a whole other animal. I'd like to think I would not have completely sucked if I got into the game at a much earlier age (I would've never made the NHL but I could and still can skate backwards)...however, Peter Worrell can still add former Colorado Avalanche NHL player to his resume while I, sadly (unless you are an AVs fan,) can not.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can see bouncing around has no appeal but that doesn't mean it has to be NHL or bust right now or did he say that? Also, does he care about winning now or at least playing on a decent team? That might eliminate the Florida/Calgary options quickly. My gut says he's an east coast guy and he'll find a decent east coast team to give him a nice offer.

I just don't see how keeping Wilson makes any sense. I mean I understand the arguments but I just don't see how he's anything but the odd man out. He's someone Roy hasn't handpicked and who already has had "conditioning issues" and has been a healthy scratch quite a bit in the past. Every single other D man he's competing with has been at least actively put there by Roy. If the lefty thing matters to Roy he has plenty of callups in Siemens and Stollery (less likely Beaupre, Lauridsen and Corbett but they are still there). Roy doesn't bring in guys just to not give them a chance. Holden and Guenin looked like Lake Erie material when they were brought in but they hung around the whole year. I don't think Redmond and Noreau were brought in with the plan of sending them down. Both were told they will get a real chance and Roy sticks by his word. Now if both are bad or Wilson just legitimately blows everyone away then plans change for the better of the team of course but at this point I think Wilson has to beat at least 3 guys to stay on the roster. Money might not be the primary concern but he does stand to save the Avs the most by getting rid of him plus if someone takes his contract I bet the Avs would be quietly happy. Wilson even makes more real dollars than his cap hit. After handing out all those one way contracts I doubt the Avs wouldn't mind seeing his contract commitment leave town.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I can see bouncing around has no appeal but that doesn't mean it has to be NHL or bust right now or did he say that? Also, does he care about winning now or at least playing on a decent team? That might eliminate the Florida/Calgary options quickly. My gut says he's an east coast guy and he'll find a decent east coast team to give him a nice offer.

My impression of the situation is that he wants a regular spot in the pros. And what i didnt realize (and Page brings up in the podcast) was that FLA is already carrying 14 fwds. They'd have to trade someone away, and then have to bump this new cat ahead of guys like Grimaldi, Trocheck, Shore, etc.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If Wilson is healthy, has been healthy since the end of the season, and stays healthy all training camp, he will probably end up surprising if he ever sees a game. Everything about him is decent, with his hitting being exceptional. If he actually has some legs and lugs under him this year, I could easily see Roy keeping him and getting him in some games.

As for that Hejda discussion, it is going to come down to Stuart or Hejda being re-signed at the end of the season. Whoever plays better will be the one to stay. I think Roy will want to keep Bigras up after this next season, and one of those vets is going to lose their spot. I really like Hejda, but he was only really good for the first 3/4 of the season. If he plays like he did in prior seasons with the Avs/Playoffs (I know he had a broken hand) then I don't see why Roy would want to keep him around. It would be disappointing because Hejda is a warrior, and seems like he's a good guy.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I've been saying the same thing, and it really does not make much sense to bury him.

If they can get a team to bite and give up a pick/prospect for him I could see him moved, but otherwise, unless he is abysmal in camp I think he'll stick around.

I think Cliche is a lock to get sent down to LE where he'll stay unless Winchester, McLeod or Bordeleau are moved or get seriously injured. If anyone in the top 9 get hurt I think Hishon gets the call. I still have a sliver of hope that Sgarbossa could be a 3rd line guy in 15-16, so maybe he gets some time.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
would be nice if duchene and mack developed on the dot little more. they took combined 397 offensive zone faceoffs last year. and won 167 of them (42%). both were in bottom 30 individually (min. 100 faceoffs).

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
If Wilson is healthy, has been healthy since the end of the season, and stays healthy all training camp, he will probably end up surprising if he ever sees a game. Everything about him is decent, with his hitting being exceptional. If he actually has some legs and lugs under him this year, I could easily see Roy keeping him and getting him in some games.

As for that Hejda discussion, it is going to come down to Stuart or Hejda being re-signed at the end of the season. Whoever plays better will be the one to stay. I think Roy will want to keep Bigras up after this next season, and one of those vets is going to lose their spot. I really like Hejda, but he was only really good for the first 3/4 of the season. If he plays like he did in prior seasons with the Avs/Playoffs (I know he had a broken hand) then I don't see why Roy would want to keep him around. It would be disappointing because Hejda is a warrior, and seems like he's a good guy.

He was gassed about 2/3rds the way thru playing top line minutes. Having Stuart play top line moves him to 2nd pair lowering his minutes and hopefully will keep him fresh all season.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I've been saying the same thing, and it really does not make much sense to bury him.

If they can get a team to bite and give up a pick/prospect for him I could see him moved, but otherwise, unless he is abysmal in camp I think he'll stick around.

I think Cliche is a lock to get sent down to LE where he'll stay unless Winchester, McLeod or Bordeleau are moved or get seriously injured. If anyone in the top 9 get hurt I think Hishon gets the call. I still have a sliver of hope that Sgarbossa could be a 3rd line guy in 15-16, so maybe he gets some time.

W have 10 Dmen for 8 spots. A couple of guys are going to have to go. If Wilson is the 9th or 10th guy, it makes all the sense in the world to bury him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I just don't see the optimism/upside in Wilson. I mean, I can but then I have to look at the other candidates through the same lens too. Roy is building his team, they are going to end up cutting the cord with a lot of guys.

I don't think Hejda and Stuart will be back but we'll see there. Maybe the plan is to get that bigger ticket FA defenseman that they were trying to get this season plus Bigras.

FoppaForsberg*

Marc Staal, Andrej Sekera, or Ehrhoff please. Imagine getting two of those guys /a big name ufa dman next summer? Pipe dream for sure but:

Johnson - Staal
Barrie - Ehrhoff /Sekera
Redmond - Holden

Solid top 4.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I just don't see the optimism/upside in Wilson. I mean, I can but then I have to look at the other candidates through the same lens too. Roy is building his team, they are going to end up cutting the cord with a lot of guys.

I don't think Hejda and Stuart will be back but we'll see there. Maybe the plan is to get that bigger ticket FA defenseman that they were trying to get this season plus Bigras.

Paul Martin :nod:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Marc Staal, Andrej Sekera, or Ehrhoff please. Imagine getting two of those guys /a big name ufa dman next summer? Pipe dream for sure but:

Johnson - Staal
Barrie - Ehrhoff /Sekera
Redmond - Holden

Solid top 4.

getting two big UFA dman is already big pipedream but to get them all under the cap is even harder.

they would need to let one of the big time core players go. or iggy if he's willing to and they can do it.

i'm not sure if it's necessary to commit that much money on those spots. i have hopes that siemens/bigras can fill in the 2nd pair LD spot in couple of years.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I can see bouncing around has no appeal but that doesn't mean it has to be NHL or bust right now or did he say that?.

Exactly. He MIGHT have no problem being in LE for a year for development. He didnt say he doesn't want to be in the AHL, just doesn't want to be bounced back and worth. Sounds like once he gets a shot in the NHL he wants to stay. One big problem that Chicago has is that they were shuffling their top prospects in and out of the lineup. Obviously we don't know for sure, but I don't think we can rule out LE from what has been said. Though, I don't think it would come to that. I bet he would be part of our 13 man forward group, probably pushing us to trade McLeod.

And where did this whole top6/9 idea come from? I have not read anything like that. He may be looking for an NHL roster spot but nothing I have read suggests it has to be in the top9 or 6.

And where did the idea come from that he has all sorts of front runners. The only thing from the media I can find is that one tweet (or whatever it was) saying we are the front runners. Fans are the only ones I can find mentioning other teams.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

What team is going to give a college kid a "guartanteed" spot prior to camp? I could see him choosing a team lacking forward depth and wanting to go there to give himself the best shot at making a roster (NJ seems like a reasonable choice there), but 'meet his demands'??

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
If Wilson is healthy, has been healthy since the end of the season, and stays healthy all training camp, he will probably end up surprising if he ever sees a game. Everything about him is decent, with his hitting being exceptional.

Yikes. Two years ago, I was as big a Wilson supporter anywhere, and I would never go quite that far. Wilson's mobility has never been great (I find it somewhat odd that his skating ability and mobility are much better while skating backwards, than forward); and while his big hits are lots of fun, I find that he puts himself out of position a lot when he hits. All of that said, my biggest issue with him is his play behind his own goal line. For a relatively big guy, his opponent comes off the boards with possession of the puck a lot. In short, he's not decent at everything. IMO.

I hope he pulls it together though. In 2012, he looked like a possible 2nd pairing guy of the future. This past season, he didn't even look like a NHL hockey player.

A shining example of the need of some caution in the face of fan optimism, when it comes to anointing young players as '1st pairing this' or '2nd pairing that' after a single promising season.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
What team is going to give a college kid a "guartanteed" spot prior to camp? I could see him choosing a team lacking forward depth and wanting to go there to give himself the best shot at making a roster (NJ seems like a reasonable choice there), but 'meet his demands'??

Im sure once Aug. 15 rolls around and the reality of dealing with NHL teams comes to light for him, he will change his mind a bit. If a top prospect like Kuznetsov wasnt given any guarantees I dont see how he is any different...

however, having a clearly skilled player like him available for practically nothing is like found money. I mean what if he pans out, particularly for a team like the Avs that have barely any foward prospects to speak of. Could make a HUGE difference.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If teams can't bid more money to sign Hayes then what else do they have to bargain with? I agree its lunacy to promise a kid some sort of spot but what else is going to seal the deal? You'd have to think some team out there is going to do it, just like it only takes one to give a player stupid money or draft someone off the board.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If teams can't bid more money to sign Hayes then what else do they have to bargain with? I agree its lunacy to promise a kid some sort of spot but what else is going to seal the deal? You'd have to think some team out there is going to do it, just like it only takes one to give a player stupid money or draft someone off the board.

Usually teams promise playing time/clear path to NHL and will structure the bonuses in a more advantageous way (make the easiest bonuses worth more). Really it is about opportunity more than anything.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
Apparently Kieran Millan has decided to retire.

Kieran Millan ‏@kieran_millan 12m
Moving from Hockey to the business world starts with.. more hockey! Help support Hockey Helps the Homeless & visit http://hhth.akaraisin.com/pledge/Pa...=9051&mid=25&pid=1868109#.U9KKdC_32kc.twitter

Ryan Boulding ‏@rboulding 9m
@kieran_millan are you hanging them up professionally?

Kieran Millan ‏@kieran_millan
@rboulding ya unfortunately didn't garner many offers this off season and got a great opportunity to start a job in Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->