Speculation: In season and deadline trades between US and Canadian teams?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m not sure if this has been address and I assume it has. How will this affect trades? Will players have to quarantine for an extended period of time?

if you’re looking to add a guy at the deadline and he has to quarantine is it worth it to obtain his services or maybe that affects the price?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
nothing has been announced because I doubt the NHL even knows, but it will probably be something similar to how the NFL handed players joining new teams. 6 straight days of negative COVID tests before they could join the team.

I think some provinces in Canada have an exception where a person does not have to quarantine if they are a Canadian citizen and/or have family in the country. So that could allow cross border trades.

Reactions: SI90

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
i think it will be easier sending players from canadian teams to the american teams since the US doesnt really give a proper **** on managing anything and are hoping that if they ignore the virus it will just go away. So it might just be the quarantine rules that the nba is doing/what the mlb did so a couple of negative tests

canada probably will make the players do the full quarantine unless the virus somehow gets under control in the US by trade deadline

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
i think it will be easier sending players from canadian teams to the american teams since the US doesnt really give a proper **** on managing anything and are hoping that if they ignore the virus it will just go away. So it might just be the quarantine rules that the nba is doing/what the mlb did so a couple of negative tests

canada probably will make the players do the full quarantine unless the virus somehow gets under control in the US by trade deadline

Testing is not a thing.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
nothing has been announced because I doubt the NHL even knows, but it will probably be something similar to how the NFL handed players joining new teams. 6 straight days of negative COVID tests before they could join the team.

I think some provinces in Canada have an exception where a person does not have to quarantine if they are a Canadian citizen and/or have family in the country. So that could allow cross border trades.

It will be dependent on timing, but the first half of the season will require 14-day quarantine. After that, it will depend on how the vaccine has rolled out.

Reactions: Blitz

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

There are varying Provincial restrictions, however the Quarantine act is Federal. Any person/player entering Canada, traded or not will be subject to a mandatory 14 day isolation period. There are no exceptions.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
There are varying Provincial restrictions, however the Quarantine act is Federal. Any person/player entering Canada, traded or not will be subject to a mandatory 14 day isolation period. There are no exceptions.

It was on the news last night that NHL players are exempt in some way due to 'national interest'. I thought that was the most Canadian thing ever said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad