In Prague for vacation. Went to O2arena.

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by NovaLeaf, Feb 2, 2020.

1. NovaLeaf Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Retired
    It is a pretty amazing facility. Jagr owns a team here and still plays at 47. His team played tonight.

Question is, have you ever been to an arena outside of NA?

If so, where, when and how did you like it?

And obversely, if you are not from North America, have you seen NA arenas and how did you like them in comparison to where you live?

tarheelhockey and JMCx4 like this.
  2. JMCx4 Gateway to Hockey

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The purpose of this thread would benefit from moving the current title to the beginning of OP's post and giving it a more generic title. The posts should be interesting either way. :popcorn:

3. BlizzardSloth Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Head of procrastination
    Never been to any arenas in NA, but from what I've seen on pictures they all look the same more or less since they are multi purpose facilities.
    Even though we have some of them as well in Europe like my hometown arena "Hallenstadion" in Zurich, there are plenty of unique arenas around the continent. As an example Ambri's "La Valascia" which is an old hangar, partially open, and resembles a huge chicken coop on the inside. Or Bern's "Postfinance Arena" with the world's largest indoor standing section is pretty incredible as well. Or Davos' hockey cathedral, the "Vaillant Arena".

Some of those arenas definitely lack comfort for spectators, mostly due to their age. But nonetheless the arenas create unique atmospheres and I love to enjoy them as long as they don't get replaced by newer facilities.

Ambri's partially open standing section in the south:
    ambri.jpg

Bern's huge standing section (10'422):
    bern.jpg

Davos' hockey church:
    DavosStadion.jpg

4. Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You're very close to the Czech hall of fame... it's very inexpensive and quick to tour. I'd highly recommend it. It's in a mall off of a subway line so easy to get to.

NovaLeaf likes this.
  5. Smirnov2Chistov EEK!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Never been to a rink in Europe but would love to. the Finnish Liiga games always look exciting and like a party all the time in the stands.

NovaLeaf likes this.
  6. NovaLeaf Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Retired
    The fans are totally different here in Europe. The majority of the fans stand and they sing and chant. Not many people sit down at all.

Smirnov2Chistov likes this.
  7. Smirnov2Chistov EEK!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Draws similarities to European Football. Is there any reason why they stand rather than sitting, or is it just a different experience?

8. NovaLeaf Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Retired
    It just in good spirit. More cheering on their team with no stuffed shirts to get angry. They love their hockey over here and Jagr is a living god to these people.

9. BlizzardSloth Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Head of procrastination
    Standing area tickets are way less expensive than seats. But it's mostly for the experience. Fandom in Europe is often influenced by soccer. Chanting, singing, waving flags and huge choreographies can be seen throughout the whole season in every arena.

10. tarheelhockey Highest Boss

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    To be fair, NA has this culture as well... in college sports.

NA pro sport events are much more of an overt business enterprise, which are largely beyond the economic reach of the young/working class person who is most enthusiastic. You rarely see people really going crazy at an NHL game, partly because they stick out and bother people. It’s like going crazy at a music concert, maybe a few times it’s expected but if you’re constantly jumping and singing people are going to get annoyed quickly.

The crowd difference between an NFL game and a college football game says it all.

11. jorbjorb hello.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Love to see Jagrs love for the game.

12. Cams Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Question for those that live, or have visited Europe for hockey games..... This thought came to me during the world jr broadcast on TSN in Czech Republic.

They might have said no food allowed in the seats if I remember correctly?

What kind of arena food is available at the concessions? Is it the same as here in Canada (N America) generally? When I think arena food here, you are talking nachos & cheese, hotdog, pizza, popcorn, pop, beer. Might sound like a silly question, but was curious if things were different in Europe.

13. Cams Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think economics play a big role, and in many NHL arenas, half, if not more of the lower bowls are mostly corporate season tickets - at least in Toronto, so your average joe public hard core fan has a hard time getting their hands on good tickets. You compared NFL to college as a good example. Football is a whole other thing though when compared to hockey (esp in the US). The college atmosphere is crazy, it's a school thing I think (school spirit type vibe maybe?). In hockey, I compare the NHL to Canadian Jr A as a great example. Our old arena had capacity of maybe 4500 ( was the oldest continually used arena in N America until our new one opened in 2009) and had the loud, craziest atmosphere that blew away what you got at an NHL game. Never though would get the chanting and songs like you hear in Premier League football games though. That would be a fun experience!

tarheelhockey likes this.
  14. Dirty Old Man NHL: AZ Belongs Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I went to the Coyotes v Bruins game in O2 in 2010, and IIRC the food was Pretty similar. I remember I was eating a hot dog or some sort of sausage during an intermission when I looked over and saw Don Maloney taking in the atmosphere in the upper deck concourse. Hastily wolfed it down and went over to say hi.