Former pro hockey players/management/others deaths (Wally Harris)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1959_Topps_Bronco_Horvath.JPG

Although the Boston Bruins had been eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs a few days earlier, a near-capacity crowd showed up at Boston Garden in 1960 for the season finale to root for Bronco Horvath.

As the game began, the Bruins’ center led Chicago Blackhawks’ star Bobby Hull by one point in the National Hockey league scoring race. “The fans were shouting all the way through to the finish for Horvath,” the Globe reported.

But Hull clinched the scoring title that night with a goal and an assist.

As for Mr. Horvath, “luck wasn’t with him,” the Globe noted. He was struck in the jaw by a shot, taken to Massachusetts General Hospital for X-rays, and missed the second period before returning.

Mr. Horvath, who was part of what was then dubbed the “Uke Line,” died Dec. 17 in Cape Cod Hospital of complications of pneumonia. He was 89 and lived in South Yarmouth.

Bronco Horvath, who set a Boston Bruins scoring record in 1959-60, dies at 89 - The Boston Globe

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Apparently Larry Popein (89) died last weekend.
402 games for Rangers and 47 for Seals. He also served half a season as a head coach of Rangers in 1973-74.

Reactions: Tarantula

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Apparently Larry Popein (89) died last weekend.
402 games for Rangers and 47 for Seals. He also served half a season as a head coach of Rangers in 1973-74.

Coached 41 games for the NYR that year before Emile Francis took over and the team got within 1 game of the Stanley Cup FInals

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Having dinner with my Russian friends and they are telling me the life expectancy is about 57 years of age. I thought it was about 72. But they say what drives the number up is Russia looks at the numbers differently and include many people who no longer live inside their borders..

Last couple of years we have seen a few former hockey players die rather young. MNy were paid their bonuses in Vodka

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Galen Head passed away earlier this weekend. He played one game with the Detroit Red Wings during the 1967-68 season.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Weird how these things sometimes happen in threes...

RIP Tom Webster
Tom Webster, former Kings coach and standout WHA player, dies at 71
Oh, just seeing this now. I had a good impression of Webster from seeing him behind the bench and in interviews and whatnot, from 1989 to 1992 with the Kings.

He led the Kings to their first-ever 1st-place finish in 1990-91, and he also achieved the (seemingly) impossible that season -- he made the Kings a good team defensively, something they were not between about 1981 and 2002.

I never understood why the Kings fired Webster in the 1992 off-season. In retrospect, a mistake.

Well, rest in peace.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I don't watch ESPN often but when I saw of Tommy Webster's passing, the scroll showed "California Golden Seals" and "New England Whalers." That in itself is representative of a few things but more so a time and place for those of us who recall such franchise names.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Pat Stapleton has passed.

Whitey retired to the township where my in laws live. He had a farm there and the rumour about the 72 Summit Series puck that Henderson scored was stashed somewhere in a barn. Used to cross my mind every time we drove down through there, as we would pass along the back of the farm on the main highway.

He used to drop by the one coffee shop on that highway and have a afternoon coffee with the farmers who all gathered there back in the day. The father in law was never a hockey fan, he came over from Holland after WW2, but he knew who Whitey was and liked him. He said Whitey was just one of the guys when he showed up. One year when I first started dating the wife we went to the local fair and they had a parade. Whitey was in a car along the procession and the parade kept stopping and getting delayed as Whitey would have the driver stop every time he saw someone he knew, including the father in law. I am sure most of the people Pat was friendly with he didn't know until he retired, but he was just one of the farms in Caradoc Township.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad